Whirl of Permafrost (CA) vs Winds of Permafrost (spell) - annoying

Discussion in 'Warden' started by ARCHIVED-Lossewen, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Lossewen Guest

It's well known that the spells are doing more damage than the combat arts currently - so why is it that if you have a raid/PQ with multiple wardens, if one uses the combat art Whirl a warden using spells CANNOT overwrite this, despite the master 1 spell debuff and damage portion being greater than that of the CA?

It's so dumb it's unreal.

We run raids with 2 wardens, 1 using the CA and myself using the spell. Whoever gets the damage off first is the winner, because the other one then cannot use that ability at all.

This is a real pet hate of mine atm, reckon if we all feedback it repeatedly they'll fix it? :p
  2. ARCHIVED-MrWolfie Guest

Vitriol@Splitpaw wrote:
  3. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

I think this was covered in casting 101
    The CA scales to the level of the caster .... the spell is a certain lvl
    When the caster of a CA is above that of the spell ... then it will overwrite the spell version...
    Get it? The spell is locked to a specific level .... the CA will scale to the caster
    If you freakin forget that again ... I dont know what to do for ya :/
  4. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

Did anybody see Katy Perry tonight?
  5. ARCHIVED-Lossewen Guest

NolaDragon wrote:
    It shouldn't make any difference when they're both T9 abilities, IMO. They're both viable options to use, so why should 1 option be unavaliable because somebody else chooses the other?
  6. ARCHIVED-MrWolfie Guest

The trouble is, they have a slow on them too. The level 84 spell has a slow which is bigger than the scaled level 90 CA, but will not overwrite the CA. This is preventing a spell-casting Warden from doing group-wide damage.
    It should be changed.
    I'd probably take the slow off the CA (of course, I bet there's *someone* who uses it to kite or run away :p). I'd also check the scaling of the CAs while I was at it, since imho, the level 90 CAs should be doing just as much as master level spells, if not a little more.
  7. ARCHIVED-Oakum Guest

Aemm@Splitpaw wrote:
    If you use the scout vs mage logic, since the CA can be parried and the user is actually in much greater personal peril being closer to the mob then a caster, the CA should do more then the nuke version. But then, again, that makes sense, don't it, lol.
    Yes, if its a valid use for it, someone has used it that way, lol. I usually prefer root, melee until i need to heal and then back up and heal myself, but a pvper might be more likely to use it for the slow I would think.
  8. ARCHIVED-tendo2 Guest

Yeah, it should be made to allow the debuff to overwrite regardless if its better or not. IIRC a Whirl will overwrite winds everytime. Shoot I've had situations where I'm in on a mob DPSing and using the CA only to joust out with a winds avail and unable to cast because of my own previous debuff. If ya think about it that is seriously messed up that I can block myself. I want to think they dealt with Expert and Master versions overwriting previously. I would think this sort of thing falls into the same kind of catagory.
    As I see it 4 possible solutions.
    The Least Desirable option: The Winds spell should be allowed the cast and do damage portion but deny the debuff (block).
    Restucture the spell and CA and make the Debuff Portion of both its own effect (like a proc) and applied equally to both abilities based on the spell grade, a flat value, or based on level. Anything as long as its common to both abilities.
    3rd option allow CA and Spell debuffs to stack in the case of a single warden the overlap time is gonna be relatively brief anyways. In the Case of 2 Wardens. Won't one of the wardens be at a disadvantage or at risk? throw us a bone.
    4th option allow the debuff to be overwritten by any form of its counterpart (yeah this means you can cast the T1 version of winds and overwrite it) It's the most straight up approach to addressing the issue as it does what most wardens want in the most direct way.

Gotta love Compound Abilities

I agree the 3rd option is opening a can of worms but I can't be totally against something that could improve our desirability either.
    /sigh