Which of these 8 classes is best for soloing?

Discussion in 'Spells, Abilities, and General Class Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Xuphor, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Xuphor Guest

The choices (not coincidentally the same as EQ2X's free classes) are:
    Swashbuckler, Brigand, Wizard, Warlock, Guardian, Berserker, Templar, and Inquisitor.
    Despite the fact I have a couple level 90 characters, I must say I have never played any of these classes, so I do not know which is best for soloers. If possible, please tell me what you think about each one for soloing.
  2. ARCHIVED-Juravael Guest

I have soloed four of the seven that you have listed to 80+ and for me personally each class has to take a somewhat different approach but they were all easy to get to 80, and beyond. Of the ones that you listed I have a 82 Guardian, 81 Swashbuckler, 87 Templar, 80 Wizard. Once you get to Kunark I would invest a bit into some better gear since the mobs there seem to hit harder and interupt and stun a lot more than pre-kunark.
    I have also primarily soloed my Shadowknight and Illusionist both to 90, though I do the most grouping, instances and raiding with my Illusionist.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xuphor Guest

Glenedhel@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I listed 8 classes
    Also, you never answered my question, which one is the best to solo. Which of those 4 is the best soloer in your opinion? Do not include SK or Ill please, because I'm aiming at the free classes for EQ2X here, which are what I listed.
  4. ARCHIVED-Juravael Guest

Oh so sorry, you did list eight, not seven not that it really matters.
    There is no best, it depends on your approach to each class.
    Good luck.
  5. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

The inquisitor should be the strongest soloer among that list. It is also a valued class for heroic and raiding if you ever get into that.
  6. ARCHIVED-Xuphor Guest

Ambrin@Nagafen wrote:
    I've never raided once, and due to my extremely random time frame of playing, I likely never will. Still though, thank you for your recomendation, and I don't know much anything about Inq. Aren't they just a evil Templar basically?
  7. ARCHIVED-urgthock Guest

Of the 8 you listed, I would say the Wizard, Inquisitor and Swashbuckler are the best. Try each one out and see which you like the feel of, then do the research about what makes them so powerful when soloing (Hint: AA choices).
    I would also like to point out that a Templar with a high level of AA solos almost as well as an Inquisitor. The somewhat recent change to healing fate was awesome! I never have to heal when soloing unless fighting heroics or I have a lot of mobs on me.
  8. ARCHIVED-FearDiadh Guest

Poison using scouts and sorcerers do not need healing for solo mobs. If you are talking pure soloing ability then go for something that kills very fast, recovers quickly and moves on to the next mob. A brig or swash with a good weapon will one or two shot most any solo mob in under a second with hardly any power use or health loss.
  9. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Inquisitor hands down.
  10. ARCHIVED-Generic123 Guest

Inquisitor (in a melee spec) is head and shoulders above every other class in that list for soloing
  11. ARCHIVED-camelotcrusade Guest

I feel compelled to add something that may be obvious - the Inquisitor, while an awesome solo class, is super suxx0r until he gets a decent amount of levels and AA behind him. Until you can pull off the fighter-cleric build, you are pitiful.
    Of course, lower levels are trivial now, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case you roll one and are going WTF when you're level 25. A crusader, on the other hand, will seem easy to solo no matter level he is, even though he won't approach the awesomeness that is a tricked-out level 90 inquisitor with lots of AAs.
  12. ARCHIVED-Generic123 Guest

Gilli@Blackburrow wrote:
    TBH as an Inq you don’t really need that many AA to get started. Mainly you need about 25 to get your CA’s maxed out and a mastercrafted 2H hammer. It used to be you could get 100% melee crit early on as well, but no longer. The CA’s are more then enough so that you won’t feel gimped because they are much better quality then the Journeyman/Adept attacks most other classes will be using at that level.
    There is a big jump at 60 AA when battle prowess opens up on the TSO lines, You can still get some crit and +30% auto attack multiplier and improved mit while you wait. There is another jump at 120 AA when the cleric specific stuff opens up. Obviously you don’t really come into your own until a lot of crit chance gear becomes available, but that’s universal.
  13. ARCHIVED-yzyh Guest

out of these 8 class inq and wizzy would be your best bet. Wizzy solo faster IMO but if you want to take on un-rootable target inq will do way bether.
  14. ARCHIVED-Pervis Guest

Due to the 8 classes you listed, I am assuming you are talking about soloing on the fat wallet edition servers.
    If that is the case, the answer is: none of them.
    Inquisitors need decent gear to solo, as do guardian and bezerker. Wizards and warlocks do not need overly good gear, but need at least adept 3 spells to solo. Templars, brigands and swashbucklers are not particularly good at soloing regardless, though do fairly well if you are particularly overgeared for what you want to solo.
    So yeah, it doesn't matter which one you pick unless you are going to upgrade to at least a silver account, at which point I would suggest a defensive spec'd wizard or warlock.
  15. ARCHIVED-Jeepned2 Guest

Child@Unrest wrote:
    Have to agree with Pervis, out of the choices you give, none are that hot of soloing. Especially when compared with a soloing Coercer or Necro. Out of tanks, Pally, SK, monk and bruiser are better choices then Guardian and Berzerker.
    Templar or Inquisitor I guess would be my choice between those listed....but oh will the fights take forever.
  16. ARCHIVED-Midasear Guest

I'd go with Inquisitor-Melee Spec.
    It's probably the easiest to get up and running in the current newbie zones, especially if we are talking about a new server. It's true that your DPS will lag the rogue/sorceror setups, but not really by that much in practical terms when soloing. What you lose in DPS you more than make up for in terms of survivability. And that survivability opens up options that are not really available to the DPS classes. It's also very fault tolerant if your play gets interrupted or discoed a lot.
    But I have to admit its a close call with Swashbuckler. High DPS, Pathfinding and Evac make for fast leveling and lots of convenience. Brigand has all that, too. But then you don't get to live in New Halas, which has a nice, compact layout.
    ----------------------------------
    Edit:
    I talked to a couple people on Vent last night who know a lot more about this game than I do, and they were both of the opinion that sorceror would be way to go and they made some very good points. You get very high, non-positional burst damage immediately, and it just gets better from there. And with the right AA choices, you get very good mitigation...comparable to or better than chain. Combined with the standoff capabilities from being a ranged class, and either Sorceror becomes a high survivability class in practice.
  17. ARCHIVED-BloodyDragon Guest

I soloed my warlock to 80 without any problems and it was really fun to do (don't have the new expansion yet, since I just returned to the game after a 1.5 years). And once you hit 50 or so, it becomes even more fun. It's awesome to see an encounter aoe hit five+ mobs for almost 10k each. Or casting Rift out of encounter and seeing everything around you drop from that same amount of damage. It's a fun class to play.
    I think all the ones you picked are easy to solo, so you are going to get many responses for all of them.
  18. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

The sad thing is that only a few expansions ago brigand would have been up near the top of that list. Now not a single player has mentioned them as a good pick. Heh... they are actually a great solo class versus single target mobs. Inquisitor with a lot of AA is just crazy though. Brig takes a lot more skill to be able to solo the same thing the inquisitor can solo.
  19. ARCHIVED-Generic123 Guest

Midasear wrote:
    Inq DPS is also non-positional and while they can't sustain DPS as well as a sorc the fast cast times of combat arts and the fact they are always working with a high grade version of their abilities gives them great burst damage which is what you want for solo content. For killing harder things, what you need is survivability, and while sorc can get this from rooting it's not reliable and costs a lot of DPS whereas the Inq can simply burn stuff down.
  20. ARCHIVED-DeathtoGnomes Guest

Speaking as a newbie(EQ2), I found Templar to increase in survivability as you spend more on AAs in spell haste and block. Undead just melt away with that AA line (cleric tab), I just wish there was an undead AE not the encounter but a true AE vs. Undead. The only encounters I havent been able to survive are blue/white ^^^ with 3+ mobs, and stay the hell out of Rivedale risk vs. reward there is in the pooper - every normal questline mob is ^^^, so not worth even doing unless your a glutton for timesink punishment.