Which expansions?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by StormCinder, Aug 13, 2013.

1. StormCinder New Member

Hello

I'm a returning player and trying to determine what (if any) additional expac purchases I need to make?

It looks like CoE is an full-on expansion...new high-level content and some new "stuff" like prestige, etc.
    and AoD is a bunch of "stuff"...mercs and beastlords and dungeon-maker thing.

Is this a correct, high-level view of what is available? My char is in mid-40's so I'm thinking at $40 a pop, I can just wait on either of those?

Thanks
  2. clausc New Member

Hi StormCinder,

I'm a new player, but as far as I understand the state of things:
    • AoD is a "features" expansion and according to this article its features will soon be sold separately. So unless you need all of them or need them now, probably no need to spend those $40.
    • CoE is a "content" expansion and mostly makes sense for high-level players.
    • ToV is another "content" expansion that will be coming out this year.
    Safe travels!
    Feldon likes this.
  3. Ahupu Well-Known Member

And if Sony follows past practices, ToV (which comes out in just a couple months) will include CoE. However, there has been no official confirmation they will do this.
  4. StormCinder New Member

Excellent. Thanks folks. I'll bide my time methinks, until ToV.
  5. troubytime New Member

There will be a number of us rejoining if this is the case. It would be nice to have verification if that's true. I'd bring 3 other accounts with me.

I have aod on another account, would be looking at upgrading this one and my main account. Then there'd be 2 other folks that would be interested.
  6. Kerrthunk Member

You do not need CoE until the 90's. If I remember SOE Live correctly, soon DoV will roll into the free content, and AoD will be broken up into individual features to purchase so you can pick and choose.
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Yes. That is from Windstalker's tweet on Aug 2.
  8. troubytime New Member

So are you saying we would have to spend $80~ total on 2 expansions (CoE + ToV) in all likelihood and another 15~ per month fees...so roughly $100 to play with the latest content on one account (and another $100 for my second account plus the extras from AoD, $20~).

my chars are mostly 90-92.

I think what i'll do is screw around a bit with my main account and wait to see if ToV includes CoE, then quit again if it doesn't...assuming I don't get sucked in (which...lets be frank...has happened before...though I don't think aod has the content to keep me).
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

No. ToV will likely include all past expansions except AoD. So you'd only need to buy ToV. Then you can decide if you want to pay $15/month or use free-to-play with unlocks.
  10. troubytime New Member

I've already bitten on the first month for one act...even my low level chars half their gear was red'd out, so I just went ahead and bit. ;-)

And thx for the extra, weighted, opinion. I'm also hoping that they follow past guidelines and include the previous expansion(s) with the ToV.
  11. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Of course preordering tends to be a little cheaper, and you may want to see what goodies the collectors edition includes. It may indeed be closer to that $100 mark or more like $50 heh.
  12. Sapienta Active Member

I started playing after CoE was released. Once CoE gets bundled into the latest expansion, the collector's edition version will no longer be available (or at least is unlikely to be, based on what I think has happened in the past), is that correct?
  13. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct, I was referring to whatever goodies might be in the ToV collectors edition. It has been so long but I think with the preorder it was like $65 or $69.99 for CoE someone else probably knows. If the new expansion follows the same path it will be a little bit cheaper if you preorder regardless of the version.
  14. Sapienta Active Member

Thank you! Yes, I knew you were referring to ToV, but it had just occurred to me when you mentioned it that the CoE collector's would be going by the wayside. My main account already has all the goodies, but I've been thinking about upgrading my second account to gold, in which case I'll want all the goodies there too. :) (All access gets a discount, plus the extra "free" character slots with going gold - my main is full plus some extras - help offset the cost. Yup, altaholic here.)

Ah, looks like my decision has a time limit.
  15. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Go for the goodies without the gold heh. Though I wonder if the Lujien mercenaries will be offered on the marketplace if/when CoE gets bundled with ToV and the collectors edition is no longer available.
  16. Sapienta Active Member

Ah, like I need any encouragement! ;) Even after three months of playing almost daily, I still often feel like I've barely scratched the surface, and there's so much I missed!