Which class for me?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Tobacha, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Tobacha New Member

Hi I am a new player and recently bought the heroic character boost to an immediate lvl 85...(not sure what I was thinking) and bought the Bruiser without thinking too much about it. Anyway I am a bit distressed at what class to choose and play now that I am not very sure that I even want to play a Bruiser. I have always loved melee classes...Especially something like the Fury Warrior in WoW. I recently have been playing EQ Next Landmark and am thoroughly impressed with what they have done with it. So I decided to come over here and try out EQ2. But I have done some research on bruiser class and the zerker classes and they seem to be somewhat average and not so fun to play. There seem to be a lot of complaints about them and their ability to do dps and there need in raids and such. I am not much of a tank guy but will do it if need be. I don't know maybe I will try out a ranger or something like that and open my mind up a bit to something squishy and is more of a pure dps class. Any suggestions would be great! On a side note I might just reroll a lvl 1 and start from there...not sure yet. Thanks guys!
  2. Khadoc Member

Tobacha,
    On the warrior classes, I find Shadow Knights to be pretty solid AoE tanks. Remember, warriors in general are not meant to be dps so but. Now, I do run a Zerker using dual wield for some ok dps. He is not used to raids, just out there to go kill stuff. If you run a warrior class you will be expected to tank in the raid scene. Zerkers and SK's are both decent Off tanks. Both have reasonable AoE attacks. The SK has some small self heals as well as some nasty AoE DoT's. EQ2 is very much about AA speccing. I would check out EQflames for possible specs that may allow you to enjoy the warrior classes better. However, if you are intent on melee dps, then Scout is the way to go. Overall, I hear 2 classes emerge as pretty fierce and the is the Beast Lord and the Brigand. Beast Lords have pets to assist in DPS and are pretty insane on the DPS meters when specced properly. Brigands also seem to have a lot of the lime light. I have a ranger myself and enjoy him, but the cool downs on his ranged attacks make it necessary to use his melee attacks as well in protracted fights. Not to see he is subpar, but it's something to consider.

Keep in mind your play style and what you enjoy doing above all. Welcome to Norrath and hope you enjoy your time playing here!
  3. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to eq2 and Norrath! If dps non-Mage is what you are after, look at the scouts. Do you like ranged at all? Does positioning for a hit on an enemy thrill you or leave you cold? Mage classes can do some great dps but some find a cloth armor character not their cuppa'.

As for tanking, it's not easy, no, but good tanks are always (like good healers) always popular.
  4. aspekx Well-Known Member

if you're looking for pure dps, then i'd say your instinct for Ranger would be right on. keep in mind they are not Hunters, ie., they have no combat pets and they are actually capable of doing some melee damage.

hope this helps.
  5. Sogapa Active Member

One thing to consider- It's hard for someone else to tell you what you would enjoy playing. Since they have introduced the heroic characters though, you might want to select the option that allows you to do a trial on a level 85 heroic character. It allows you to play a full level before you have to decide to purchase, so you can get a feel for what the class will be like at the higher levels.

Then you can go and make a level 1 of whatever you most enjoyed....or just purchase another heroic character.
    aspekx likes this.