Which Chanter class is need more?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Darkshadow, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Darkshadow New Member

Hi I was wondering which Chanter class is need more in CoV raids? I have been gone for a long while and now just returning. ANd ready here on the forums Chanters and Bards are need the most. So I wanted to narrow down to the Chanter.
  2. Davngr Well-Known Member

depends on what group is in need of a chanter.

for the most part illys give the group more damage and coercers give the group more mana.
    so coercer = defensive chanter and illusionist = offensive chanter.
    illy will usually land you in a dps group mage/scout with better damage buffs and coercer will most likely land you in the main tank group that will have less damage buffs.
  3. Darkshadow New Member

which is easier to lvl to 90? I dont mean face plant on keyboard to win. I want a challage, i just dont want to pull my hair out, and bang my head on the desk challenge not at first. I can alway betray and become the other later.
  4. Davngr Well-Known Member

they're both about the same as far as lvling goes. nothing spectacular before you start getting to higher levels.

with an illy you can expect people to demand that you cast your "damage" group temps at the right time and stay consistent so they can time their damage cycles. with a coercer you can expect that people will demand power feeds from you to groups in the raid as well as your own. few if any people will request temp buffs from coercers and most people understand that unless you're in the illys group sending them a tell won't help your mana situation.

edit.
    if you're going to level solo or limited grouping then i suggest you pick up AOD if you don't have it. the merc is really nice for that.
  5. Arieste Well-Known Member

Both are needed. I would say Coercer slightly more as guilds are more "crippled" by not having the regen for certain fights than by not having the ideal DPS group setup.
  6. Jellygiantjim Member

the OP mentioned which is needed more for raids. I'd say illy because a lot of raids can roll with 1 coercer and 3 illys. Illys are needed for the scout and mage group. The OT group is questionable i suppose, but most raiding guilds i've played with use more illys than coercers.

As far as lvling up I thought the illy pet was more helpful while lvling than a coercer pet and you didn't have to worry about charming your pet for the first 70 lvls or so like a coercer does, but coercers have a damage stun aoe that is useful and the only aoe an illy gets while lvling is an aoe mez. they are probably equally difficult to lvl
  7. Deago Well-Known Member

I wish SOE would make the coercer charm really awesome..maybe have a 25 second perk that allows you to charm heroics without nerfing them :D Put it on a a few minute recharge etc.. Heck make it a 10 second charm. Yeah they would be totally overpowered for about ten seconds...I can name a few classes that are for ten seconds...so lets be honest here lol

Think about that when you boost aa or add more prestige points...could be like a super level 100 endline for a coercer.

To counter have the illu pet ...um....cast QQ ? j/k
  8. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Normaly we put in 2 coercer and 2 illys, even in mana fights, you can work with it.
    As coercer you do also buff healer ^^ and have nice hategain/transfer which is usefull, for mt ot (not realy 3rd 4th grp).
  9. Ilyriel-Jentara Active Member

You're better off just playing whichever one you like better. Both are usually always needed.
    Songwind, Estred and Kalderon like this.
  10. Elostirion Well-Known Member

This.

And would you rather be grouped with [healers and tanks] (coercer), or with [mages and scouts] (Illy).
    Only_a_total_idiot likes this.
  11. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I would say, depends on who is behind the class ^^ i know some names on my server, i can bet, any instance will be a challenge.... some i know, this is gona be fast ;)
  12. Everdog Member

Coercer in general.
    Coercive Shout and Mindcontrol will help a lot when random mem shuffled.
  13. Atan Well-Known Member

We have more trouble recruiting and keeping illy slots filled than we do coercer slots.
    Kalderon likes this.
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

I think that is because Illies have weaker regen and melee-capacity when compared. Just a guess. Illies also require more micro-management of buffs and timing of Warps. They are more intensive than Coercers imo. Perhaps that is why there are fewer of them. Add that to their pet dies ever fartblast of an AE.
  15. Atan Well-Known Member

While true, our parse suffers more with a missing illy than a missing coercer. I find the coercer class more niche in need, and far more easy to recruit cause of their ease of play as compared to illy.
    Kalderon and Estred like this.
  16. Alarra Well-Known Member

In terms of higher amounts of demand, I would say the Illy would be that. However, from personal experience, my main is a Coercer. I enjoy playing the coercer more.
    I tried the illy out earlier. It has higher dps capability and can leave a coercer in the dust in that area. Also it's temp buffs are in high demand with mage groups.
    Coercers offer higher bonuses to Melee, they can re-power an entire group with their AA ability as opposed to the illy's single target.
    Coercers offer better agro control with snaps (to tanks), deaggro buffs(for dps), and hate gain for the MT. Buffs to healing as well.
    In terms of levelling they are about the same. I wouldn't want to level mine over again without a friend.

Being a coercer you won't get much bragging rights on the parses. I parse around 200k on average(my gear sucks atm). I've seen others parse around 2-400k with better gear.
    Kraeref and Kalderon like this.
  17. Kraeref Well-Known Member

And i think i know why:) Coercers have very usefull spells in power regen department: two groups on a same hit mana flow, channel which devides power evenly among your own group, channeled focus which increase damage for two groups as well. Sort of works the same as two groups mana flow.
    Oh and we shouldn't forget about ether balance:) having said coercers can parse greatly themselves and help others (ether balance). Illys give buffs to others but there is no much to talk about power regen unfortunately. I had to betray to illy to benefit casting group but honestly if there is any chance i gladly betray to coercer. Be able to feed power to others (12 ppls at the same time) give great satisfaction to playing:)) my 2c.