Where in Norrath is Quiarrah???

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Quiarrah, May 24, 2023.

1. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Well . . . At the moment . . . I am still not able to get on but rest assured I have not quit or fallen off the face of the earth.
    First, hubby was testing gear for our church. He needed a screen to test the camera so . . That happened to be mine.
    Now, he is trying to get a new machine (well new for me) to work that he got from a friend. It's an HP that he is trying to put LINUX on. Because he hates Windows . . . (and yes he did check to make sure EQ2 can run on Linux).
    So. . . needless to say I do not know when I will be on next . . . Hopefully in time for the next round of events!
    Miss you guys!

Lady Q
    Geroblue, Sturmlocke, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

He did this when you have only one computer in the household...? :-/

Bad hubby... :(

At least, have him look up Sturmlocke's posts on how to set up Linux in general -- hmm. I know Sturm's got posts on Linux and EQ2, but I'm not sure if he's done anything for just Linux in general. :-/

Aren't there different "flavors" of OS's you need for Linux? Or Windows emulators? :-/

He may hate Windows, but how much work have you done with Linux (if you're anything like me, none, though I'm tempted to go that route long before I'll get Win11)? He ought to take your abilities into account, too, and get a flavor that emulates Windows while being "pure" Linux... :-/

Uwk
    Geroblue, Sturmlocke and Breanna like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Apparently, Mint and its various permutations (Cinnamon is a popular one) are among the closest you can get to a Windows experience, without the aggravation of the "Oh, we're going to keep supporting 10 until October of 2025! :D However...this update? It's the last update you'll ever get for 10, and we're going to automatically update you to 11, without your knowledge or permission! :D" garbage for my laptop. :mad:

Uwk
    who spent waaay too long Friday night/Saturday morning wrestling around with the "Roll Back? Are you sure? But, but, why? :(" buttons and methods; when asked to provide a reason, EVERY CHECK BOX WAS CHECKED, including the "Any other reason why you're breaking our heart? Please tell us below... :( /snif" check box (but we'll leave the comment I left there as a mystery) -- and figured out how to kill any further Win10 updates in the registry itself ;)
    Geroblue and Sturmlocke like this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hey there, just found this post by sheer coincidence, was browsing something else, and reading this part makes me a happy little bunny. Most of y'all would know by now that I use Linux as my main and only system of choice for all my PC needs, including gaming and EQ2. Just wanted to say kudos for breaking free from the tight grip forced upon us, and the best of success with that Linux project of yours. Ofc you can pick any Linux distribution that you like, they all have their pro's and con's, but you're free to choose whatever you feel is right. I can recommend Ubuntu LTS if this is your first experience with Linux, but that's just my personal recommendation. Feel free to hit me up if you need assistance, will try to find the time when possible. I made a few tutos for y'all, will leave them here just in case:

EQ2 on Ubuntu Linux (see comments or description if you run into any issues)

@Uwk: Yes, this is using the Gnome desktop environment, but you can also go for Kubuntu, which uses the KDE desktop environment. KDE = resembles the more modern Windows GUI the most whereas Gnome = feels a bit like MacOS. In addition, you can also go for Ubuntu Cinnamon, which Uwk mentions further above, and this one is similar to the Windows 7 experience. I prefer Gnome, but the choice is yours after all.

[IMG]

[IMG]

More info here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eq2-on-linux-and-mac-guide.604032/

For more flavours see here (now including a Cinnamon flavour): https://ubuntu.com/desktop/flavours

Uwk is right btw, all of my EQ2 videos are in fact recorded and edited on Linux by using open source free software, and framerates are nice and smooth and much higher than on Windows:

See video description for a list of software used in the making of this video
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ohhh, Sturmlocke, you never fail to deliver. I am SO saving this thread as a file. :)

See what you did, Q? ;) Thanks! :D

Uwk
    Cinnamon as Win7, eh? /happy_kitteh_dance :D
    Geroblue likes this.
  6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Or print to pdf using the free bullzip printer program.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Well the program I need in order to run EQ on my Linux machine (Crossover) We can't buy right now so . . . Again I will be MIA until the 23 hopefully. That's when hubby gets paid again. Hopefully we will be able to buy it then. I ×I'll be a bit late starting on my SEHS house but I'm not NOT doing it.
    I will keep you all informed here.

* donations accepted *
  8. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Fast forward to around 06:00 for a quick Steam on Linux + EQ2 tuto

Hey there Q, my eyes are heavy, about to fall asleep, but just read your post. Not sure if you've seen this part in the Mac and Linux guide that I linked above, so I'll quote it here:

Not sure if the code is still valid, but I can ask for a new one if it isn't :) I got that code directly from Codeweavers specifically for our eq2 community, so kudos / credits to them. Btw, you can run eq2 just fine without Crossover by using Steam and Proton, see the video I linked further above, and that's completely free too. In addition, there are even more (free) ways than these two, but the alternatives might require a bit more work. Question, what Linux distro did you guys decide on?

And how much cash do y'all need for Crossover rn, how much is missing for the order?

Cheers
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

(Good lord, how much IS Crossover, 'cause I don't like or trust Steam...sounds like I'll have to get it too... :-/)

And Sturmlocke, I'll have a PM question for ya. :)

Uwk
    Geroblue and Sturmlocke like this.
  10. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Woot, I just came online too, lol. About to jump into the water, but I wanted to write down a few notes for Q before I do that. Sure, go ahead :) Will be here for another 30 minutes or so, family is getting some breakfeast rn. I think Crossover is 74 bucks right now, but with the coupon code you'll save a decent amount. Not that bad of a price tbh, considering how much it supports ootb. That said, you can use Lutris, Bottles and the likes instead (free), if you want to avoid using Steam altogether, and iirc I should actually have a tuto for that in the Mac and Linux guide, but I personally recommend Crossover for its ease of use and its beautiful, elegant yet simple interface (and the money goes directly to further support Wine).

If you're going to do Crossover, a few quick notes:
    • Guide for Crossover: https://ibb.co/qnmX0TS
    • Btw, the slideshow is for an older version of Crossover, and while the newest iteration of Crossover looks much more modern, it should behave similar enough to the old one
    • Basically search for "Everquest 2" via Crossover's built-in search bar and follow the automated installation
    • Apply tweaks mentioned in the slideshow seen above
    • Launch EQ2, patch, play
    PS: @Q and Uwk, let me know which Linux distro ya'll will be using and I'll fire up a virtual machine to test or even record tutos for you guys.

Cheers
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Geroblue like this.
  11. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Thanks hon. Hubbby is rushing off to do his sound todayy for the churchers that rent our building. . (cause its our gear and he doesnt trust anyone else and they dont want to learn) but I will ask him when he gets home.

**he plugged in my old machine . . .**
  12. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hey Q, in the water rn, sounds good to me. I'm on standby, can also lend you guys a bit of cash for Crossover if it helps. Have you already used up the free trial time that Crossover comes with? Once I know what distro you guys are going to be using it'll be much easier to test from my end to see if the free alternatives are good enough. Oh and it would also be good to know if Steam is something you'd want to use.
  13. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Ok, I kept my promise and donated a few bucks to you @Quiarrah for the Crossover and Linux journey you are about to embark on. Uwk will be joining too. The two donations plus the coupon code RYAN30 should be enough to get you started with Crossover :) I'm on standby for questions or even for some troubleshooting and will try to look into the forums this weekend. I have lots of stuff to do in the garden and with the kids, so I'll most likely be on mobile. Let us know how it goes! Cheers