What you all have been waiting for! Ch12 is here.

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Kamimura, Nov 16, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

2. ARCHIVED-troodon311 Guest

I hope Anikra was the, erm, female of the Half Elf couple :smileywink:
  3. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

If I remember right I believe that is the name of the half elf woman on the tutorial boat? The gnome and kerra names sound familiar as well, were they on the boat too?
  4. ARCHIVED-Caledore Guest

Aye, they were all in the tutorial.
    Anikra even laments her husband...she says something like "why did those smugglers have to throw my husband overboard?"
  5. ARCHIVED-Irisheyez Guest

Boy , that had to be the worst part of lore in that entire series.

talk about just slapping a piece of crap together.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kullak Guest

1. Thanks for writing my story and history FOR me sony....

2. That's the end? For a lore series, where's the lore? just a few silly stories that left much to be desired.... What happened to the Dark elves? What happened to the Iksar? ... Oh we have a fix-all for them... the Rending and the shattering farked all them nicely... they don't deserve real lore like the Barbs, Ogres, Frogloks. I just know a lot of people were really longing for some real lore concerning the iksar and the dark elves.

3. The way they handled it makes me wonder if they will actually be this vague with the lore in-game. Because I get the distinct impression that they wrote it this way because they either haven't decided on any solid story or they just flat-out don't have one yet. With a little positivism I could say that maybe they are just leaving their options more wide open for the upcoming expansions.

I am by no means a WoW fanboy... I'm EQ2 all the way... but at least WoW had some solid lore. WoW lore blows this junk away... Here its more like "everything got all blowed up and flooded... use your imagination for the rest" .... sheesh give us something to work with.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kullak Guest

Also, what I forgot to say...

In summation, they were too loose on the lore that should be vital and firm, and too firm where the lore should really be left up to the players :p

Give us the firm history of a world for us to build our characters past into... don't give us a firm character history built into a ambiguous world history.

I am really hoping what they intended is that you find out the real history by doing the quests and talking to NPCs... everything else about the game is genious (EXCEPT building gathering skills for hours on end in an overpopulated zone...) so I am trying to keep the faith.

Message Edited by Kullak on 11-17-2004 10:29 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-troodon311 Guest

Most the lore of the world does exist, it's just scattered all over the place. They've intentionally left the lore of the past 500 years ambiguous in many places because
    a) We are meant to discover it when the appropriate expansions come out
    b) There is no way anyone in the Shattered Lands could possibly no what happened on Luclin or to the Iksar or to Faydwer etc. so it makes no sense to tell us what happened.
  9. ARCHIVED-Akoa Guest

Did this chapter remind anyoen else of the movie Goonies?
  10. ARCHIVED-Irisheyez Guest

If nobody knows what happened , then how do we know that something happened to it lmfao.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kullak Guest

I understand what they might be trying to do with making us find the lore... but to find it all in the game you have to REALLY want it and you could probably spend years doing so. I'd enjoy it more if the basics of what happened managed to find there way to a tome in freeport/qeynos and as such possibly to some place on the EQ official page, and then the player can go in depth and find the specifics and the neat and exciting details.

Also some of the in game quests and lore just don't make sense w/ the storyline. For instance, go into FG and you will find a Halfling crying for help and asking for me to find his halfling buddy... Now why would I if i were playing my Dark Elf want to help this intruder invading my sacred ancestral home instead of gutting him? Because there IS no option to gut him... and besides you get a reward if you do help him... why roleplay then... just power quest! And much gets lost in the process of "power questing" and it's easy for a player to really lose the lore that his character would actually have knowledge of through these conversations.

What would be nice is if at the very least Sony released tomes of lore as its player base progressed through the game.

I'm all about the lore and storyline, but theres no way I can just pull it all in by talking to NPC XYZ and reading and examining item ABC. There are some blanks that Sony needs to fill in. They've filled in some but there are several gaping holes in the history that just leave me feeling like i AM that stupid refugee they storylined me to be... I can't even pretend to know about my ancestors. I do agree though that there are some blanks that players should have to fill in but as is now Sony is doing their players an injustice, especially with all they really have to work with.

If EQ2 was a mad lib will all these blanks... it would look something like this...

The __________ _____________ _______ ________ ________. So, the Gods convened and left. ________ _________ and _______ and then ____________ so that ________ __________. Orcs were bad _____ ________ and Halas fell. ____________ the _________ _____________. _________ _______ ____________ __ ___________ ___! __ ____ Frogloks squished _________ ________ ________. _________ ________ Rallosian Army __________ ________. Freeport _______ ___________ __ ___ _________ Qeynos. _________ ___________ ____ __________ Greenmist. Death ______ Death ________ __________ Death. __________ ____________ ___ _______ ________ ______. _________ __________ __________ moon exploded! ________ Death from above ______ ____ ______ ______ __! ___________ death __ more death. ________ "Teh Rendering" __________ death ____. _________ waters rise _______ ______ death and pirates. Everything changed _________ and __________ so ________ where ____________ ________. War and death ________ Freeport __ Lucan D'Lere ___ _________ ___ Qeynos __ Antonia Bayle. ____ war ____ death _____ kill ______. You are a nobody with no ancestory stuck on a island on a little village who happened to get picked up by a boat and swashbuckeled and ended up on another big boat. Your name is _________ you are a _____ and you will establish your name on refugee island and move to _________(Proper noun but only Freeport or Qeynos proper noun)! This IS YOUR STORY!!!

Hehe way too much time on my hands... at work :p

Just want to point out that I LOVE the game so far :p I just wish i had more history to delve into to really use for roleplaying.

Later!
  12. ARCHIVED-styrmstread Guest

It seems to me that they have left the door-wide open for role-playing. As you progress through Norrath you are learning of what happened and how it has affected different folks. If they gave it all to us in this little lore series it would leave things stale in my opinion. I love exploring and finding someone who tells of what happened to a paritcular creature or area (e.g. the elf woman in Willow Wood).

Being a refugee, your character must learn what happened, not already be imbued with the knowledge somehow. Make up your past, and tweak it as you learn more and more. I love the way this has been set up. As with any story, there will most likely be inconsistencies along the way...but it is our duty as roleplayers to help Sony "co-create" and iron out these problems.

I do, however, agree with a previous poster, that if i see a halfling in my land begging for help, and Im a dark elf, i should have the option to flay, torture, and then finally kill the imposter. I'd like to see things more open-ended, but I do, on the other hand, understand the problems that this creates.

Best to all of you.
  13. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Yes, I like having to find lore all over. My character is not a history expert at all, so she would have to work to find things out. I think it's fun having to find it for myself. Though, that's just my opinion, I definietly understand wanting all the lore in one spot. Sometimes it can be really fusterating to not be ablt to find something. :smileyhappy: I expect there to be small differences in lore as well. Such as I would expect a high elf and a dark elf to tell the story of attacking Felwithe/Kelethin differently. It can be a little confusing, but it adds personality to the game.
  14. ARCHIVED-troodon311 Guest

We don't know what happened to Luclin other than it blew up; we don't know anything about the Iksar other than they tried to invade Faydwer (we know this because the Shattered Lands Iksar were from some fort or something that was a staging ground; I think); we don't know what, if anything, has happened to Faydwer.