What would the effect of SC items becoming tradeable be on the economy?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Griffon Lady, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Vagrant Storm Active Member

Well, like I said. They would need to stop the sales or at least severely limit them. Then the only "cheap" SC would be the 500 that comes with the subscription. I can't believe that there is that many people playing the game without a gold membership. Do that many really go silver and then buy item unlocks? I truly don't know. It just seems like such a waste. You could burn through a month subs worth of SC quite fast doing that. Well, I suppose some one could also just resist the temptation of all the legendary gear that seems to be falling out of the sky...I even had three Fabled drops off of open world non-heroic named mobs this weekend.

If most of their income is coming from the expansions...then I suppose it must stay the way it is. However, if my assumption is correct and most of their income is coming from gold subscriptions, plus this new krono thing, then they should be pulling players that way. Letting gold members use the SC they've built up to get a discount on expansions would be a great way to do it as would allowing Gold members to trade SC or SC items.

I want them to be compensated for their work. They've made the best MMO on the market in my opinion...at least for PvE. I just think they could easily be getting more revenue if they played the SC system differently AND the players would benefit from it.
  2. Atan Well-Known Member

I know 3 people who have been bannedf in the past 60 days by SOE's fraud department. All these players did was buy krono on the broker then mark it up to resell.

What they didn't know was they were bought with a stolen card and when the fraud department found out the banned everyone that came in contact with those kronos. You can only buy krono from SOE, so reasonably they are more rapidly aware when fraud happens with them as opposed to SC which is sold by 3rd parties. When fraud happens on SC it can take much longer. The result being the items fraudulently purchased have potentially changed hands more and more playersvare affected. Also with SC SoE has less control of the purchase and trading of them so has less influence to have controls around it.

Now these 3 players are unbanned, but it can take weeks for SOE to audit the bans and reverse them.

Now having an understanding of how this operates I still question if fraud would be a reason not to do this. I think to go down this road SoE might have to stop selling SC via third parties.
  3. Skwor Active Member

Greed will get ya every time. If it looks to good to be true then it is.:rolleyes:
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I damn near bought these as well. 10 krono @ 500 ea.

With a normal sell price of 550 to 675 on Unrest, the price wasn't unbelievable that someone was just looking for fast plat.

I was seriously considering buying them but 1 of these guys bought all 10 before I could make up my mind. Those 10 for 500 only were on the broker for about an hour.
  5. Elostirion Well-Known Member

The SC items dont really need to be tradeable to achieve what you're looking for.

The SC itself can be tradeable on the broker as a currency exchange.

The effect of this would be to bypass the 80/20 rule of RMT transactions, put more money into Sony's pocket and spread the SC purchased items to a larger portion of the population. As long as SC items arent strategically relevant (not pay to win), the revenue stream is increased and the gameplay is unaffected.

To go along with this,
    1) Krono should purchase expansions, and be divisible into 5 dollar blocks or some such
    2) There should be an interface button to exchange a Krono into SC at whatever that day's rate is
    and most importantly
    3) Krono should buy expansions/DLC as well as game time.
    Deveryn likes this.