What type of utility are you looking for?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-bryan4171, Mar 29, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-bryan4171 Guest

Was just thinking about it exactly what type of utility in a raid or group are we looking for, before they give us a raid buff for pets, combat and appearance pets of course, that will increase there size by 34% and let them expel rainbow colored farts 40 feet from there bums.... then they are going to tell us well you asked for a buff. I mean it would be as useful as some other changes that have been made to the class in the last 3 years.
    But being serious what kinda utility do you think we should have.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kulaf Guest

I think your first step would be to list off the utility of other T1 DPS classes and see how you compare. Because if you ask for utility beyond that AND want a boost to your DPS you won't get both and you might get the one you don't actually want.
  3. ARCHIVED-Nevao Guest

I will go out on a limb and say the vast majority of rangers will say, "Utility? No give me DPS", but we'll see. Personally if we're going down the utility route (and I think we do need some form of utility to be marketable to serious PuGs and raids, even with more DPS) I would like to see it play off Accuracy and Strikethrough. I made a proposal during Beta that went something like this:

• Kill the hawk. Please.
    • Replace it with a permanent group buff (use those concentration slots!) that grants Accuracy and Spell Resistibility modifiers (you need this so that if we end up in a group of casters we still add something). Maybe 10% or so at level 90.
    • Take the AA dedicated to increasing the accuracy of the group portion of Focus Aim and instead have it add Strikethrough to the new group buff. Again 10% if it is to be meaningful (would get you to 20% if you were lucky enough to have the 5% Red Adorn and a Conjie buff).
    • Another option if you the hawk has too much sentimental value, or a permanent buff is deemed too powerful would be to just change the Accuracy Increase of the TSO Focus Aim AA to add strikethrough 15 to 25%

The numbers definitely need to be tweaked for balance but the basic premise is this: Bring a Ranger to make it easier to hit, just as you bring a brigand to make people hit harder. And for it to be meaningful it really needs to be some form of Strikethough. Backside blocks and parries are by no means gone this expansion, especially in raids.
  4. ARCHIVED-Sydares Guest

Anything that isn't temporary and useless, essentially.
  5. ARCHIVED-Lodor Guest

get rid of the hawk and thorny trap and give a raidwide accuracy/avoidance buff in their place.
    could also give a group buff that procs some type of temp buff on spell/ca use.
  6. ARCHIVED-billchivers Guest

7. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Any ranger in their right mind wants DPS over utility. Thing is if we did the same exact DPS as an assassin, they would still have a bit of an edge when it comes to utility due to their hate transfer. So basically what I want is, more DPS, and a small persistent (NOT temp) buff that helps melee and mages hit the mob.
  8. ARCHIVED-Upirus Guest

no wai man, we could do that dps *from range* thats total utility right there, i mean, range.. right?? range!!!

Id be playing a bard or my illy if I was interested in buffing, up the dps
  9. ARCHIVED-Ademelo Guest

Personally, I'd like to see our DPS increased to be top DPSers since we bring NO utility to a raid.
    If we were to have some form of utility, the accuracy buff would be my choice, but I'd tie it into the hawk, make it permanent buff and call it Hawk Eyes or some sort.

On a side note, my two conji guildies did 100k and 91k dps respectively yesterday in raid. Necro was just behind them. They gave us a couple AOE's now, but the recast on them is so mediocre we're by no means competitive in the AOE arena either.
    Personally, I'm getting frustrated and tired of the Devs completely ignoring the community in all our legitamate requests. They give us "raid" arrows so we can do our max dps, but only if we pay 'extra' for it. They give us AOEs, but on such long recasts they're just not competitive. They upped the dmg we do now from outside the 5 meter range, but we still have to get in to that 5 meter range to do max dps. It's all BS and a really lame effort in my personal opinion.
    I'll wait for next LU, then I'm retiring my Ranger if nothing is done.
  10. ARCHIVED-suzita Guest

Neiloch@Crushbone wrote:
    I like this idea
    I'm finally getting to the stage where I think I may be switching mains. I don't raid but even I feel as though I'm working very hard to achieve mediocre results...
    *edited for missing sentence*