What is the Vasty Deep?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Ozymundas, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Ozymundas Active Member

What/Where is the Vasty Deep? Is it part of the Ultera, or some other plane? Why/how is it connected to the Deep Water Pavilion?
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  2. Ephras Active Member

WhysperWynde likes this.
  3. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Yeah I've always been curious about this location myself. I was hoping to see some basic explanation of just where it's actually located since you need to use a teleporter to go in. Given the circumstances of where the entire continent of Odus is now located, it seems difficult to figure out just where you actually went to. You're taken to an island surrounded by water with no visible ceiling in sight, which leads to a beautiful botanical research facility that is slowly fighting off the corrupting influence of a dragon, an expansive underwater research facility that shows multiple other buildings the player cannot access that are also deep underwater where the sharks and crabs live, and a series of deep underground caverns where another dragon resides.

I'm looking at the original map of Norrath from EverQuest. The Vasty Deep is labeled as a massive inland sea located on the continent of Odus directly. For as long as I played EQ, it was never a place a player could visit or was ever implied to exist as part of Toxxulia Forest or Stonebrundt Mountains. I'm glad it's part of this game, but I share the sentiments of wondering just where on the continent we're supposed to be.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

All the instances seem to be intended as research sites, so I guess it's something the erudites came up with to study oceanic things?
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  5. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

In EQ1, most of the Erudites worshipped Prexus (Ocean God).

The Vasty Deep may have been a laboratory or hideout for Erud (Erudite founder of Erudin, leader of good arcane arts) against Miragul (Erudite founder of Paineel, leader of evil arcane arts).
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  6. Ozymundas Active Member

Thanks for the replies! So we can gather from the map that it was a sea on Odus. Perhaps it is buried "inside" the landmass now? I wish I could just ask Matri Dot.
    WhysperWynde and Benito like this.
  7. Benj Well-Known Member

The dragon that you fight at the end of The Conservatory is the same dragon that helps you against the final boss of Vestigial Cella. Her name is Delahnus the Dauntless. I don't remember why you fight her in one location and she helps you in the second. Delahnus is also part of the Epic Repercussions quest, where she repays you for helping her in Vestigial Cella.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  8. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I wrote my response early this morning right before I had to travel to work. I don't remember why Delahnus is in the Conservatory, but she does mention that the Niyads proved to be too powerful for her to handle.

That's what I was thinking. It's now buried inside the continent where we just don't see it.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  9. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Thus explaining the Title of Vasty Deep ... vastly buried inside of the continent now, makes sense.
  10. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

It was called the Vasty Deep back when it was still an inland sea 500 years ago.
  11. Svenone Well-Known Member

The Vasty Deep laboratories always reminded me of Quake with swords and sorcery instead of guns and blasters. Always figured it was the devs paying homage to Quake. Most of Vasty Deep is deep under water in building that have seen better days, as there are many leaks (though there must be a functioning sump pump system still or the place would have flooded by now).

I prefer the Vasty Deep locales far more than so many EQ2 expansions that are just hanging out in the sky ... somewhere, but apparently disconnected from everything else except via teleporting (usually a wizard port).