What image hosting is best? (for showing houses)

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Vallaria, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Vallaria Member

I use to be a big fan of Photobucket but the site is so hard to use now, also the front page looks weird. I dunno perhaps it's just me? o_O

I was thinking of trying Imgur but I didn't know how good they were for hosting and linking images here?

Does anyone else know of a good hosting site? I'd love to show my humble houses, and share my stuff with all of you but...I need some help. O_O
  2. Kamoj Well-Known Member

i use picasa web albums
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I like deviantArt.com, posting from my Gallery there, and will be posting a pretty image-heavy article here later on. ;->

Uwk
  4. Kisy Active Member

I use Photobucket ( even their page is a little wonkey ) and I have a dedicated Kisy Da Gnome Punter Facebook page that I put my homes on.

Facebook is just easier to post pics on. Though I haven't tried linking pictures from there to here ( not sure that would even work ). The forums have a picture limit to how many pictures per post, so I got cranky ( and I'll get over it ) and haven't posted any completed homes on the forums here in a long while. I've made my pictures on Facebook public to view, so I don't know if you would still need an account to view them or not.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Probably not, though I'll take a peek. :)

And no, I don't think it's all that easy or possible to post from Facebook; I think I tried it earlier, but that was also before I got the idea of how to post. EDIT: As for the pix of yours, apparently I can't get to them without signing in, but that doesn't mean anything; just means I don't know how to access them without logging in (I do have a page, just not under Uwk). I did try to Google you and just got other sites. EDITED EDIT: Is your Facebook page listed as Kisy da Gnome Punter? 'Cause I'm not finding that, either... :-/

I like deviantArt.com's Gallery (did my Mistal article from there), but it's a little tricky to post from there; you have to View Image to get the correct URL. :-/

Uwk
  6. Kisy Active Member

I have a link to the page in my signature below... but it is under Kisy Gnomepunter.

Sorry for the confusion.. apparently I don't even know my own name. /hangs head in shame. I shall punish myself by not punting any gnomes today. Today gnomes of Norrath shall be safe.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

I use Imgur. It works for me. I'm a very private person on Facebook. Because of my profession, I won't even risk making an alternative identity on FB for use in EQ2. (My state's Code of Conduct is pretty darn strict for teachers.) There is a drawback for Imgur. Once you get over a certain amount, you either have to delete old stuff, or start paying a small monthly fee ($2.95).

I hadn't considered DeviantArt, but I post all my theater costumes and quilts there. I'm sure my fellow theater mothers do not want to be swarmed by images of video game housing. *ponders* In the meantime, I have a consolidated works thread linked in my sig, along with my consolidated fairy lore thread and my sigs & avatars album.
  8. Kamoj Well-Known Member

Not sure, but would dropbox work?
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Found you! Nice Albums! :)

Uwk
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You can do what I do on dA: make a different sub-section in the Gallery for that, and who knows? Maybe they'll get inspired by something there, if they stumble upon it accidentally. ;->

If it's the video game stuff they get wigged out about, just don't have any elves or trolls or whatevers in the picture...

Uwk
  11. Shanyssa New Member

You can always make alternate accounts on Deviant Art for you game stuff as well. I know a few who do that for other reasons, mostly the ones who don't want any of the naughty art they do associated with their other stuff. I might have to do that myself, since I've been meaning to get some screenshots posted of my own houses, but didn't really wanna flood my watchers with them either. Might have to work on that this weekend :D
  12. Andowen Member

I use Imgur for my decorating albums.

+ User friendly.
    + Easy to sort and rearrange pictures in albums and write picture description.
    + Drag and drop upload (no need to browse for every picture).
    + I like the overall look of the site, it's clean and easy on the eyes.

- Cap of 225 uploaded pictures for Free accounts (No limit for paid).
    - Images may be removed after 6 months with no views, again this only affects Free accounts.
    - It does have ad's, although minimal. The ad's are 'better' than some other common pic hosting sites though, have yet to see anything offensive for example.

Basically all the negatives are only affecting Free accounts. I'm still on a Free account as I am nowhere near the image cap but so far I am very happy with Imgur.
  13. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

*coughs* I have long since exceeded the image cap for free accounts, but the price for a member account is minimal, in my opinion.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What is the price? And it's similar for deviantArt; no ads with a Premium (= Paid) account, but in the old days, the ads could be cursor-sliding-over-it-activated, which could lead to...issues. They've gotten a lot better about it these days. :-/

Uwk
  15. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

*points to her earlier post* $2.95/month. Cheaper if you buy by the year.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

D'OH... |-P

Oh, that was that $2.95? Hmm...and yeah, I imagine a year thing would be cheaper, probably, than $35.40; most recurring sub places have that "quantity discount" thang. ;->

On the other hand, it seems like there's quite a lot of leeway before one has to worry about it. :)

And as far as "taking them down if they get no views," I'm guessing if you post a link to the rest of the album that pertains to an example post here, then the pix get viewed? Sweet... :)

Uwk
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hey, for those folks who have fancier signatures (i.e., banners) than I: what's the size limit for the graphics? ;->

Uwk
  18. Feldon Well-Known Member

There isn't a limit, since it's remotely hosted images. However the default forum skin forces signature width down to a really small amount (smaller than the old forums). Fortunately I wrote a Stylish theme for this site in Chrome/Firefox, which ignores this artificial scaling.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Cool! How do you get one, how much do they cost? I've been here and on the old forums long enough, I ought to finally get one... ;->

Uwk
  20. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

The default size before these new forums used to be 500 x 165, which is the size that I still make my current sigs. I find that anything larger than that tends to be too distracting. I can help you with a purdiful sig image for free if you want. (I no longer do sig commissions, but I'll always make an exception when the mood strikes me.) I'll even meet you in game for screenshots.