What happens to completed products when you fail writ?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Galldora, Aug 26, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Galldora Guest

My lvl60 carpenter is all of a sudden having a really tough time completing rush orders. The last two times she has tried to make the 6 adamantine stools, she has managed to finish only 5 of them. So, I went to the merchant to sell back the stools I had completed, but I didn't have them in inventory. Twice in a row this happened; I've examined her backpacks over and over, no stools there. I'm going to try a third time, because I keep thinking I must be crazy, they couldn't just disappear -- but has anyone else noticed this happening to them?
  2. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

This is why you get payments for each stage completed. During a writ you don't produce items if they also 'ding' the writ. It's part of the risk of a rush order and why they have a greater payout.
  3. ARCHIVED-Galldora Guest

You mean if you fail the writ you have no items to sell back to the merchant, so you lose all your fuel costs too? I guess there is a pretty big risk. By failing two writs with five items each instead of six, I lost 10 items that each would sell back for more than 3 gold each, or about 30 gold.

I thought the risk with a rush order was that if you didn't finish you got no credit for the writ. I didn't realize you lost all products too, so you could lose this much cash on fuel. I guess the writs where you make one or two of a product and then move on to another product are better then, because you sell those items right away and if you fail the writ you don't lose so much. With the writs where you make six of the same item, you don't get to sell anything back until you complete the whole thing.
  4. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Originally the writs only paid back fuel costs when you completed the whole writ; it was changed to after each step after player feedback. Losing your materials is part of the risk, and is why Rush Orders pay more cash and status than Work Orders. If you don't want the risk, do the Work Orders which have no timer.
  5. ARCHIVED-Galldora Guest

At the very least, I'm going to look for rush orders that have more than one step! That way if things start going really bad it's possible to just stop after step one or two. The writs where you make six of the same item are convenient, but if you don't get all six made you really lose quite a bit.

Thanks guys, I had no idea it worked this way with the rush jobs. (Silly me, I was under the impression you could always get fuel costs back.) I'll have to take a closer look at why, after dinging 60, my carpenter is all of a sudden having problems with writs. In the past she always finished writs with plenty of time left over (which is why I'd never noticed how the timed writs work if you lose!) so I must not be making optimum use of my reaction arts...
  6. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Did you remember to get your new Arts at level 61? I actually forgot my 51's on my weaponsmith until I was 54... Ironic, eh?
  7. ARCHIVED-Galldora Guest

Calthine wrote:
    I thought about that, since I'd just gotten into a new tier, but this was happening at level 60. I've just now dinged 61 with this character, so I'm going to see if the new arts make a difference. Another factor is that I was trying to do the most difficult writ available to my character, and it was probably just a bit too tough until I gained another level or two.