What does +xy to harvesting do?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Aull, May 8, 2023.

1. Aull Active Member

I never could find an explanation but if an item has 45 to harvesting skill how does it help?
    Thank you,
  2. Benj Well-Known Member

Others might have a more detailed explanation but here it goes:

Although you can harvest anywhere in the world, regardless of your skill, each node has a minimum skill required to pull rares from that node. Items that add harvesting skill can help you reach that threshold without grinding out each and every step. There's also a rumor (that I haven't personally tested) that higher harvesting skills will increase your rare chance, once you're past that threshold.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Komatus Well-Known Member

I believe that harvesting skill helps you to harvest anything from a node...probably including rares. Bountiful harvest percent helps by giving you another chance to harvest from that node. Rare percent chance helps a small amount to increase rare chance. Exact figures have been speculated about here in the forums before, but the truth is that DB isn't letting us in on all their secrets. :)
    Yenk and Twyla like this.
  4. Lemilla Active Member

A long time ago (about 15 years), this was explained by a Domino, the tradeskill dev at the time. The original post is no longer available, but I found it quoted:
    https://eq2.fanbyte.com/wiki/A_Harvester's_Guide

And yes, some things have changed since then. Such as allowing common harvests with 1 skill and the addition of rare harvest chance and bountyful harvest.
    AOE1 and Twyla like this.
  5. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Yes, there was a time back in the olden days when you could not harvest the next tier till you qualified via your skill level for each harvest skill type. Those days are now gone but if you try to harvest in a T7 zone and have a T1 skill level, you can stand there for quite awhile before you get anything. You start harvesting rares when your skill level hits or gets very close to that tiers skill requirement. So harvest as you level up in adventuring. It pays in the end.
    Twyla and Breanna like this.