What do the numbers actually mean?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by I like bears, Mar 1, 2015.

1. I like bears Member

I've never had an issue understanding things like "5% more durability" or "3% success." On my Alchemist I was thinking of picking a +5 to Alchemy stat but I realized, I don't actually know what that means.

400/425 alchemy? What do those numbers actually represent? If I add a +5 to my Alchemy stat, what does that even do? I need some kind of quantifier because "it makes you better with alchemy" doesn't mean anything to me
    (╯︵╰,)
  2. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Paraphrased and taken from eq2.eqtraders.com :

3. Meirril Well-Known Member

Crafting stats are very difficult to gauge for effectiveness. The first 25 bonus points to skill seem to make a difference. Even this is hard to tell, but points beyond that are even more difficult to notice. To be blunt, I don't bother equipping anything with +skill unless it gives another bonus.

Percentage based bonuses are not good. Crafting tends to be shifts of 1,10, 15 and 50 points with modifiers stacked on top for counters used. 5% of 50 is only 2.5. 5% of 10 isn't noticeable. Smaller bonuses to progress or durability are common. Straight adders work better. Success and critical success rates are difficult to track. I'm not saying the bonuses don't work, I'm just saying I can't tell if they do or not.

It could be they don't work.

What is really easy to notice is that casting modifiers like reuse and recast work on event counters. If your removing adventuring gear that gives you these stats what your getting in return had better be good.
  4. Bashem Well-Known Member

I personally think the stats are there to give meaning to the items in the game but they may not even exist. Theres no way to verify the numbers mainly due to rng is used.