What do the Build numbers signify?

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Should I be concerned that, after getting an "Invalid Password" error on Splitpaw after being /afk booted, that when I logged onto Test, the most recent version was, apparently, Jan. 10th?

This is what it said on the top bar on the windowed-screen (as opposed to fullscreen) display:

EverQuest II (Jan 10 2013 13:23:29) USER OPTIMIZED: SOEBuild=9545T

I checked out the forums here and there's been quite a few updates to Test since Frostfell ended; should I be worried that my Build doesn't seem to reflect that? Granted, I can't go into Test via Launchpad any more, so I go in directly through everquest2.exe. But if the game has changed substantially, it doesn't want to play at all until I go through Launchpad at least long enough to get it updated. This time it let me in without a murmur. :-/

Uwk
  2. Hordolin Awanagin Active Member

Current Test build is: build="SOEBuild=9577T" version="SOEVersionString=2013/1/17 9:35:20" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED"
    You really should be running through the Launchpad to ensure that you get the latest client version.

What is the issue that you can't log into Test via Launchpad? What does it do when you try?
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Wow...where to begin...usually, I get as far as the black screen, then the blackness is relieved by a large, official "Microsoft doesn't like EQ2 and is taking its ball and going home" sort of error. I've tried to track down the mythical log file they keep referring to, with no luck.

Last night it was different, in that when I tried to update through Launchpad, I never even got as far as the black screen. I'd hit the large green "PLAY" button, forgetting that it would be a bad thing to do, the Launchpad screen went away, and...nothing happened. For about a half an hour. Computer locked entirely, and checking the Task Manager (still on XP here) revealed no change in numbers, and that while the Awesomium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator was gone, Launchpad.exe was still there, Everquest2.exe was trying to load with no success, and the entire thing hadn't moved in quite some time, so I had to restart the computer. That's a fairly new one. :-/

I'll have to admit, I haven't tried to login my way (just going straight through Everquest2.exe) yet today; I'll give it a shot and look at the Build numbers. :)

Uwk
  4. Hordolin Awanagin Active Member

The getting to the black screen... pops the error at about the time it should start playing the music right? If yes, then there is something messed up with directx. Usually this is fixed by installing DirectX9.0c from the standalone installer from Microsoft (here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35)
    Usually when this happens, and you try to run by going through everquest2.exe it pops an error about a direct x dll file).
    The other issue, I've never seen before.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ironically, the Build was fixed, but I've got DirectX9.0c loaded just fine, and got back into Test without issues...eventually. :-/

Still had to do it the Launchpad-less way, which I don't need to do with any other server. :-|

Uwk