What determines Damage

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-Quazaris, Dec 20, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Quazaris Guest

Is it just me or is gear/stats not the biggest factor in damage. I have not found a Parser yet to check DPS but it seems
    if, no matter how I switch my gear around ( By Stat ) or swap out weapons my per hit stays the same pretty much.

This whole damage system seems to revolve around what level you are. At level up is the only time I notice any change in damage for the most part. And if that is the case what defining factor is there when you take 2 players of the same level?

To me it already seems like each player of the same Class/Lvl is mass produced. All levels 1-19 are doing pretty much the same quest for items ( Willow Wood Dagger Quest, Bear Hide leggings etc ) and every player 20ish is working on AQ1-6.

This doesnt seem to be class specific either since I also play a Wizard and Grp'd with Other Wizzy's the Spell hits are the same also. ( with the exception of 1 wiz I ran into with a Master Blaze spell compared to my Adept1)
  2. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

Yes, levels plays a large role in it but, items do too.

For instance, take a newbie 1s dagger you buy off merchants and try using it, compared to your Willow Wood dagger.

Equipment does play a part in it but, if you are using 2 items that are close to each other, there isn't much difference in damage from things liek backstab, etc.

You need to keep your weapons up in level also. I try keeping my stuff at least yellow or orange to me. Sometimes they get to blue, if the next best thing is still a level or so away.

There is only so much variety they can do without gimping someone and then them yelling about being gimped.

I think they have done a great job at balancing the classes. Of course, with that balance, you loose some customization.

People with app2 skills won't do as much as someone that has adept 1s or 3s. Someoen that's going to spend time and effort obtaining the adept 1s or 3s will have a payoff of more damage, than someone that simply goes to the trainer and grabs the app2s.

There is still a lot of variety in toons.
  3. ARCHIVED-Kaffis Guest

Quality of equipment, upgrade level of a skill, and effective level (ie, using grey skills or weapons will use a lower effective level) are what determine combat art damage. If you take a pristine carbonite rapier vs. a pristine carbonite leafblade, for instance, they should do the same combat art damage, despite having wildly different damage/delays. Compare those to a nice drop out of a big ol' chest or a reward from a tough quest, and you should find an improvement.

Just like the classes diverge in the 20's, so too, do the players. The uber weapon quests like willow wood blades start to thin out around 20 and the old weapons you got from them and your class quest start to blue out at 23-25ish, at which point you either end up going shopping (and probably ending up with a weapon set that you feel fits your character), or finding a few uncommon drops to fill out your arsenal.

I expect the same kind of thing will happen at 29 and 30 once I get there -- it'll be time to start looking for replacement armor.
  4. ARCHIVED-Erasmus Guest

Your skill ( determined by level/use) and upgrades are the major determining factor in art dmg. Assuming a comparable item like Naggybait said.

Strength will increase your melee damage.

Agi may/may not affect your swashbuckling skill. Im not sure. Either way, its not a huge increase.