What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Templar' started by ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL, Jan 25, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Zabumtik Guest

I think the yellow+++ heroic argument comes from higher level Templars who are bored with anything less in an xp group. We get some abilities in our late 40s and beyond besides our mainstays that help keep the group alive. So we chase after challenge. Before 40, I'd stick with blue/white heroics and chainpulling. Hell, I'd reccomend that for any level and for most any three-four person group.

As for general Templar strategy. Keep your heals and buffs at adept1 or better. Remember your group heal is your third insta-heal. Don't forget your emergency heals in really tough spots. Remember that the harmony line pacifies all targets within its area of effect. Remember that single-target and group reactives stack. Remember that we have a mez and stun line now. Use them.

Also, we can't forget about our debuffs. Involuntary line heals and cures traumas. Our mit debuff line lets meleers and some ranged people do more damage. And our mark line not only heals but also debuffs divine resistance. Which is useful if you have a paladin in your group using nukes.
    Message Edited by Zabumtik on 02-01-200602:31 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Formangenavn Guest

3. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Could be i suppose, but i don't think i have ever used one on my templar, i chose the ones for later use.
    Mostly i think it boils down to cast, and recast, timers.
    Incoming damage is just too high and my templar can't keep up.
    fury keeps up though and can nuke and SoW, i was just hoping that someone would tell me i was major missing something.
    i have read all these and tried to implement some of the modifications, like reactive first, the direct heal. (on this one, i got more wipes)
    so i will banish my templar to the forge to be a box mule weaponsmith at the sincere request of my guildees, they want loot not debt.
  4. ARCHIVED-Supernova17 Guest

Reactive stacking...

It appals me how many pickup Clerics do not do this, yet every Druid on the block will cycle both their single and group regens, Shamans same deal with wards etc.

Off-Topic

How I play, Templar is an awesome healer for a well made grind group too. When KoS goes live, Descartin will be getting a major workout in XP groups with the guild. I've already got several people lined up to form long duration grind groups. We're shooting for 1 level every 3 days, and to all be 70 by the 21st of March (don't boo us for powerleveling like that, we're a raiding guild, we love to raid, we need to be max level first to take on the new content).
  5. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

I use the group reactive, and the single target reactive, but the group i can ONLY fire before combat begins since it has like a 10 second casting time.
    I hve started it going down the hall in RE and fight is over before it goes off. LOL

Message Edited by CoLD MeTaL on 02-01-200610:15 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Supernova17 Guest

o_O
  7. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

I don't have the cast time in front of me, but on my machine honest it seems over 10 seconds.
    I don't notice lag on anything else, with 6 toons. hmmm i will try and experiement tonight. Remember i am a level 36 Templar, not sure if group reactive cast timers change.
    I could be wrong, i will try and test the cast timer, against what it says.
  8. ARCHIVED-Anduri Guest

To be fair to Cold, the group reactive is far too slow. Since it is a reactive, it needs to be cast before the damage comes in, not after. The stupidly long cast time prevents this, other than on the inital pull.
    As for the encounter being over before it is cast, in all seriousness many encounters in PP are killed or are near death in the time it takes for this spell to go off. Try it sometime, it's so stupid it will make you laugh :)
  9. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

That's why in those situations I use our Fate line. Quick dying encounters power perhaps the most efficient healing potential of just about any spell - our Fate line.
    This whole thread has me thinking about an old guide I started to write up. I think I'll get around to reviving it.
  10. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Make sure you include the mez crap.
    I have never played a coercer, or illusionist, hven't ever wanted to.
    And I completely don't understand what those spells are useful for, they never seem to do anything at all.
    I did fire sooth at a critter in EL, it followed me around for a minute and attacked me.

Message Edited by CoLD MeTaL on 02-01-200612:20 PM
  11. ARCHIVED-Supernova17 Guest

[IMG]

Lowers the aggression radius, does not remove it. If you get too close (touching distance), it will attack. This allows you to slip by mobs or making an approaching add ignorant of your group.

Next question.
  12. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Well that wasn't really a question :D but thanks for the english translation. Not sure why we want that, cause we always want xp on our spelunking.
    Anyway you asked. I am a 36 Templar, The great nerf occurred when I was level 30.
    I hear about a 'mez'. What spell in my book is a 'mez' and what good is it?
    And yes, I have read all the spell descriptions since the great nerf, as to soothe, i tried it a few times and got resisted and attacked.
    It is back on my hotbar, but so far hasn't worked as you state once, but then again i may have been doing something else to stop it.
  13. ARCHIVED-Supernova17 Guest

Soothe only makes an enemy less aware of your presence only so long as you cast it from a safe distance. It does nothing when they spot you.

We jokingly call our Sign spell line mezzs. They Pacify the target and stop them from attacking for a short period of time. It works like normal mezzing.

I have Sign of Infirmity at 60, doesn't really change much from the original.
  14. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

I highly recommend reading "The Controlling Templar" for more answers regarding our control based spells.
  15. ARCHIVED-SenorPhrog Guest

The mez they are referring to is a brief spell that will keep the target from attacking. Any damage though (encounter wide AOE's won't hit them) will break it and they will regain aggression. This spell I see as a mixed blessing. Yes it can be used to lower the damage you take when soloing multiple groups. I've found very little use for it in the group situation. Kendricke's scenario could be completely accurate, but why would the Templar be mezzing when the Necro could be fearing, the Wizard rooting or the bard mezzing? My focus is on healing whoever is getting beat on. The Infirmity spell seems situational only to large encounter single targets or as a complete last resort. Just my opinion. It does however work just fine as it is described.
  16. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

I also know carpenters that never use a lathe. Most carpenters consider it a situational tool with a limited purpose. That said, I don't know many carpenters who would outright state a lathe is not an important tool for carpenters in general.
    We have a lot of tools to choose from. Not all Templars will use the same tools. That's not a weak design, in my opinion. If anything, that's a strength.
  17. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Now if I could just get A tool to WORK.
  18. ARCHIVED-Diapause Guest

Only if they gave us a single tgt root for 50secs like Warlocks get. better yet, how about a grp root for 37secs? Talk about utility.

12second 'mez' is laughable. Especially when u can't atk the mob.
  19. ARCHIVED-Zabumtik Guest

Our sign line isn't laughable. You can keep a target perma-pacified if you keep an eye on your timer. They might get a second or two to attack as the spell refreshes but that's it. Of course, this is coming from a Templar in a guild that doesn't have many enchanters. :)
  20. ARCHIVED-Anduri Guest

Yes, but what are you doing while you're doing that? Nothing! Devoting all the time of one of your healers to locking down one mob and not even doing it very well is not a good use of resources by any standards.