Well done with the Inquisitor Spell Changes

Discussion in 'Inquisitor' started by ARCHIVED-Desspair, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-ozbej1 Guest

It is most certainly NOT "all good".

As you get higher I am sure things are dandy, but for those of us in our low/mid 20s good freaking luck. I took my inquisitor out that I've had sitting on his **** gaining vitality, read all my spells... re-organised my bar and headed out.

Picked a fight with the first white non herioc mob I saw... no arrows, just an even level fight to give things a whirl. It took FOREVER to kill that thing. I ended the fight with 50% health and almost 0 power. I gained............... with vitality and now bonus xp from DoF............... .7%

Yes, thats a POINT 7%, not 7%. That fight took around 4 minutes and I was in orange/red several times. I haven't tried the group experience but I am not looking forward to that either.

Call me whatever, say whatever... but I used every debuff I could to try to help, precasted now Master 2 Soothing Sermon before the fight and started spamming w/ the mace and HO chains. This is [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot].
  2. ARCHIVED-Krien the Wicked Guest

If reactives stacked like they used to, no one would be able to pull agro off of you. Besides, there would be no way to fix the lower level reactives, that do considerably less, from going before the higher level ones, which means you would have lots of spike damage, for little noticable effect. Radiance, even though it has a 15 min recast, stacks and is good if you really need that heal before recast. You shouldn't be using lower level spells, that is why we get upgrades. Orange mobs do considerably more damage than yellow mobs, once they turn yellow they automatically do less damage. If you are having trouble fighting orange mobs, start doing yellow.

Clerics were soloing quite well on test up to 20ish, I didn't play much after that, so perhaps it got a bit harder til farther on. At 30 there was no problem soloing yellows, and even yellow^s in enchanted lands. Try going after enemies that you chose to have the enemy mastery on, they rock now with changes, even though recast is longer.

Just remember, you have to change your playing style some. It's gonna be a little harder, it was too easy, you have to admit, just staking reactives and afking :p
  3. ARCHIVED-toops Guest

To the original poster you must be much higher level, I have not root, or fear spell at 29th level. I found tonights experiance disturbing. I used my reactive and my best instant repeatidly, did not run out of mana and my usual tank died. I did not have a chance to debuff, dot or nuke as all I could do is try and heal enough to keep him alive. We are a 4 person group, Guardian, Assassin, Warlock, and Inquisitor, within 1 level of each other, and we only fought blue herioc mobs. 2 heroics killed the tank and assassin while me (inquisitor and the warlock) fled. To me when an even leveled tank with decent (not the best) gear dies while I have mana I did something wrong, but I know there was nothing I could do as I healed and healed and healed.

I like the changes to some extent. I was looking forward to them, I do not like that combat healing no longer helps the tank, or that the best reactive (forgive me I do not know the name) that used to heal 180 and now heals 120 and used to have a damage sheild and does not any more.

I healed and did nothing but heal, and most of the time had my best heal available queued and stll against only 2 blues my gaurdian died, and my assissin died, and my warlock and I barely escaped, We are not new to EQ2, all but one beta tested, we all play EQ1. Yet 2 of 4 died against 2 blue (heroic which means group mob), before we got to any named in the zone.

On Monday we went to this zone, same levels, same group, we killed 3 named and cleared a good part of the zone, tonight we did not get past the fist 20 mobs. All of us expeirenced eq2 and eq1 players, plus other games.
  4. ARCHIVED-Krien the Wicked Guest

Question, were they 1 level below you blue, or 2-3 levels below you blue. Also were they no arrow, 1 arrow, 2 arrow, or 3 arrow. What level are your spells? If you debuff at the start you have to do a LOT less healing. What level gear was the guardian, and what level were his CAs? Did you guys go through all your buffs to make sure you knew what they now did? Was the guardian in defensive or offensive stance?
  5. ARCHIVED-Nink Guest

My healer is level 28, I noticed that the heals have been reduced and the direct damage spell replaced with Greater Smite which does the same damage as my best DoT. Our HO's now appear to be a lot less effective.

My main concern is that I was playing my scout yesterday with a spare spot in the group looking for a backup healer. An inquistor was LFG but the group took the decision not to invite as the heals had been nerfed too bad and don't stack.
  6. ARCHIVED-harlock_jds Guest

An inquistor was LFG but the group took the decision not to invite as the heals had been nerfed too bad and don't stack.than you were in a group of idiots,
  7. ARCHIVED-Nink Guest

Actually the group was very good and well balanced, I was surprised at their comments but hadn't played my inquisitor since the patch at that time so stayed quiet.
    My inquistor can still solo mobs allbeit not as easily as before the patch, my concern is that our heals have been nerfed a bit too much and other players will now choose another class over us when looking to group up.
  8. ARCHIVED-RedFeather75 Guest

One thing to consider if you don't appear to be as effective in a group, is that all the other players in the group are still adjusting to how their class is being played. They may not be taking advantage of their strengths just yet, making it harder to keep them alive.

As far as soloing, I'm pretty sure that there are 'hell levels' where you just don't have the right combination of effective spells available to fight any mobs efficiently.

My one complaint? It's not that big.
    Please put the 3 second recast DDs on a different timer than the 25 second DDs. Please?

Oh, and the ability to soothe single target hostiles is a very neat utility. Thank you! :smileyhappy:
    Message Edited by RedFeather1975 on 09-15-2005 05:36 AM
  9. ARCHIVED-Leppard Guest

HUH? I spetn 9 months learning the game, why should I have to relearn it? If I wanted to relearn a game, I'd play WoW. Maybe that's their intent to have us leave and play WoW. If it's not, they sure are going about it wrong.
  10. ARCHIVED-harlock_jds Guest

i said that because inquisitors are more useful in groups overall than they were before, THe debuffs actually do something now, our buffs are better (esp the HP buff) and we can chain cast heals faster than anyone (which is a big deal now). Ignoring a inquisitor because their reactive heals don't stack is stupid, that's true for every class that had a reactive heal.
  11. ARCHIVED-Nink Guest

Okay cannot find the quote button must be here somewhere (if someone can point me in the right direction thanks in advance)
    harlock_jds :- I agree that our debuffs appear to have got better, my concern is that Arch Heal used to heal me a lot more (havn't got EQ2 loaded at the moment so cannot remember exactly how much) when I cast it yesterday I actually thought the spell hadn't worked as the amount of health is so much less than before the patch. I seem to think and these maybe wrong that prior to the patch Arch Healing would heal me for around 50% now it is more like 10%.
    In order to get maximum XP groups tend to push the envelope taking yellow heroic mobs, my concern is that yes our debuffs are great but if I cannot keep the tank alive what is the point.
  12. ARCHIVED-Iumiash Guest

Level 50 Inquisitor here, on the Oggok server.
    From my point of view, well done Sony. I love the new changes and my character is now a much better and more rounded cleric. Any plate-weilding healer expects to be within melee range of the mobs and we know have the tools to handle those situations. From a pure healing point of view, yes we heal less but if you'd bothered to understand beyond your own class, you'll notice that the mobs give out less damage than they used to. If you compare your old and new character on paper, then you'll always be of the opinion that you're worse off, but look at the changes as a whole and it's a different story.
    Sure, I have a grip with the sheer number of interrupts now, but it's a small one. I don't have fabled gear, I have a couple of adept 3's, but I understand my class and how to use it. Grouping in Pillar of Flame yesterday was hairy at times but definitely doable with me as the only healer, solo'ing is much better, and the new group buffs and consideration to how you spend your concentration points is a nice variation.
  13. ARCHIVED-Joosul Guest

Over all I agree it is better, the problem I have is mtigation verses avoidance is now broke, that is why it seams like are reactive heal is broke.

A warlock can out tank an inquisitor, that is not right even if the Inquisitor doesn't have fabled gear and the warlock does.
  14. ARCHIVED-Croom Guest

Etlantis wrote:
    Well, Desspair and Croom must be on drugs.. but having played a necro I am sure that is the main reason Desspair doesn't see how nerfed we really are now. My reactive master heal dropped from 401 hps heal to 222-271 hps heal.. great improvement there. The new spells I was given amounted to some low lvl 8 and 22 heals .. which at 50 are ? useful? the cure for group is one positive I am hoping..

I have been playing inquisitor since I started playing eq2 in november. Yes, it is true that they have changed our heals by decreasing the amount every spell heals and putting heals on same recast timer. But this change isnt something that they have done exclusivly to our subclass. All priest classes have had their healing power/recast timer changed and/or decreased.

You need to look at the big picture here and not at the change done to a single spell. If our reactives would have healed for the same amount and on the same timers as they did before the revamp we would be severly overpowered in comparsion with the other healing classes.

Go figure you guys need to read more or look at the decreased in your nukes and heals.. I am a sage and an inquisitor and I know what my damaged were prior to the ( gag ) improvements.. Can I solo.. yeah.. but with great care and lots of luck that I don't get an add. I admit I never was a battle cleric in eq and I wanted that ability in eq2 which I felt inquisitor offered. Well I am not whining I am just pointing out the reality that some are either blind to or have fabled gear and uber weapons.. I don't have either... Inquisitors were seldom wanted in raids before due to the lack of group cures, but I would say we have one now so maybe we will be of more use when raiding.. I still believe it is a shame that most raids are 50 percent healers...

With the new system I feel more distinct in my role as an offensive healer.

Just take a look at the buffs/debuffs we get, Coerced repentance has gone from a totally useless/broken spell to a great useful one. Forced compliance has been made even better. And combining Hallowed Aura/Act of faith/Zealotry increases the group DPS output by a great amount.

As for the soloing part im not sure yet since I havent soloed that much since the revamp. But from the little I have done ive found out that Vengeance really makes up for the loss of damage from our DoTs.

Asfalt
    38th best inquisitor on Oasis Server
  15. ARCHIVED-zoltarn Guest

I like the changes and I wanted to thank the folks who post here that expalined how we needed to change our play style. after the update playing the old way (useing DD's) didnt work out well but now I just love the way we play.
  16. ARCHIVED-puffmouse2 Guest

I've been grouping with one other person for the entire game. For the last month we have played a warlock and an inq. Once the inq armor was good, she was tank while I would dot and nuke each of her main targets keeping slow to not take agro. She would keep agro with smite and some group weakening spell, and with her heals. She would keep herself healed at first with the reactives and then switch to the main heals toward the end. We did alright like this, not perfect, but enough that eventually we got through wailing caves, fg and moved on to nek. We are now 26 each.

After the "upgrade" she just follows me around while I root and nuke oranges...each mob takes about 3 hits average, and heroics take about 6. Occaisionally she will cast a heal on me to keep herself from falling asleep. She cannot tank anymore because she has to specifically target herself now in order to cast a direct heal on herself. Which means she would have to switch from targetting herself to heal, target mob to smite, target herself again to heal.... And the direct heal she does are sooo puny - like the best heal does 150 points right now. We sorted through the spells to get the best of each line, but none of them are enough to allow us to continue using the original strategy we enjoyed. Well we had fun together touring the eq world and doing our thing but now she is bored. She just tells me what animals she needs for her current quest, and then follows me around while i blow them all away. Considering the immense power my warlock has, I cant understand why her heals didnt get an equivalent boost considering she can only effectively use 2 of them now instead of all the ones she had before.

We will be watching the boards to see if there are some good strategies for her in the next few weeks to save this character and make her useful again. So if your inq and having fun please keep posting about it, we need to know how its done. Otherwise, if she has to reroll, i know we are going to jump ship and try out something new.

Notice when swg changed combat they also allowed you to respec into something else. She might like this option about now, just convert to a true tank and forget trying to be a healer altogether.
  17. ARCHIVED-wormwood66 Guest

Well here's my opinions (27th Inquisitor):
    "All priests received improvements to their group heal line."
    Well I didn't
    Personally my reactive heal spell went down from about 160 dam to about 95 damage/hit. now when the main tank gets hit, I cant keep up with the damage any more, unless i stand there and do nothing but cast heals, and sometimes not even then. The spell i had before was at Adept III, and the one i have now is at Master II despite being nearly 40% worse. great.
    and since i stand there and do nothing but cast heals I cant cast any offensive spells, great.
    and talking of which, my damamge over time spells have their timer shortened from 20 seconds to 16. 20% less effectiveness per spell, thanks again.
    I have proof of the worsening of our abilities, in that we killed the end big bad monster in Splitpaw Alone in the Dark quest (after a couple of tries), but for some reason one of our party didnt get the quest finished, so we went back in and now we cant touch the guy.
    After spending loads of money and levelling up to 28th, i'm about 80% (optimistic estimate) as good as i was before the changes as a 27th.

Nick Smith
  18. ARCHIVED-Lyfjasar Guest

Im really tried of hearing we are nerfed, we arent as good as this and that.. or Okay we are better here and worse here...
    What we all just need to realise is that we play this game to have fun, feel needed and waste some time..
    Can we do this as a Inquisitor?
    Sure you can! The only reason why people maybe are taking another healer instead of a Inquisitor is cuz they dont know better..
    Sure we arent the best healer, but we do a really nice job...

So what does this comes down to?

If you wanna compete with other healers you have to take in account for all the spells all buffs and all equipment, thats almost imposible, so just dont..

Do you have to have the perfect group to have a lot of fun out there?
    Hell no.. I play just fine with me, a Troub and a Brigand..
    We take down stuff that other people would need a tank and backup healer for... Why?
    Because we all know how to play our class and we know enough about the other classes to do the best from it...

Get to know your class and learn everyday.. Each day is a fight to learn something new, to get better at playing your class...

What this combat changes really did, was to try and tell everyone out there that every healer can do there job just fine..
    We all knew that we where good (not as good as the templar was but still good)... Now we just need to convince everyone else..

I play my Inquisitor and Im proud of it.. If they make it tougher to play my Inquisitor, I will relearn and get better..
    If a templar(or other healer class) is better by default then Inquisitor, I will beat them with knowlege, strategy and patience..
    Thats the way to do it...

/Sigrdrifa, 51, Inquisitor, <Stormwatch>, Kithicor
  19. ARCHIVED-Rah the Sun God Guest

Ahealer 50 inquis on Befallen
    DOF Screwed us.
    All you people that think this has been an improvment are a bunch of ignorant [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]. Whoever made these changes to Inquis is an [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] and should be thrown out a window.
    I've played every support class from EQ1 and DAOC and now EQ2.. I know how to play. Im all adept 3s n masters... Inquisitor class is total crap now. Open your eyes n get a clue.

I hate you all.
  20. ARCHIVED-Krien the Wicked Guest

If you don't like the class now that is your opinion, but to say the class itself is crap is just not true. We're the most powerful healer at the moment with our debuffs, the other healer classes don't compare.