Weapon and Armor Style?

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-UnicyclePeon, Dec 3, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-UnicyclePeon Guest

All,

For those of you who have played Swashbucklers (specifically, those at 20+), what is the STYLE like for Swashbucklers when it comes to weapons and armor? Do you find yourself wearing Chain Mail, Shield, and Rapier? Or do people usually use 2 daggers or 2 short swords and Leather Armor post-20?

I'm just trying to get an idea about the fighting style of the character. I prefer to dual wield daggers or short swords and to dress in Leather, but what is the real style?

I found out I can't share between good and evil so I'm going to have to delete and re-make a couple (I want 4 character coverage). I'm trying to find the closest class to my concept. If Swashbucklers typically go with Rapier and Parrying Dagger or something like that, I could live with that too.

Insights? Hints?

Thanks,

Uni P
  2. ARCHIVED-Ipyc Guest

Past 20 everyone I've seen uses chain. You could use leather if you wanted, but most I assume go for the best protection rather then looks. As far as weapons, I don't think I've seen another post 20 swash using a shield and 1 hand weapon. All use dw weapons. You have a choice between axes, swords, whips, spears, daggers and rapiers of varying sizes and styles.
  3. ARCHIVED-Erasmus Guest

After 20 you really need medium armor. It would be stupid to not use the best armor you can, especially considering the swashbuckler ability to back up tank if the need arises ( swashies get plenty of taunts).

I personally use dual rapiers, and chainmail. I carry a saber and round shield in case the need arises. Dual wielding offers more damage than 1-hand and a shield, so thats the prefered method. Both dual wield and 1-hand + shield seem to be equally effective at solo, I tend to end a fight with just as much ease either way.
  4. ARCHIVED-Tehhu Guest

luckily you can find tons of Medium armor with great AGI boosts. AGI is probably your first concern since its where our damage comes from. And since there is great AGI stats on Medium, Light, and very Light, you should be wearing medium since it has the highest AC.

some of the light and very light armor has better AGI stats so that might be a better choice as long as you are not planning to solo and are not planning to rip aggro off a tank. a few pieces of my gear are light/very light. I just couldnt pass up the agi boost that some of the gloves and boots can give you.

so basically it comes down to AGI=damage,accuracy and AC= defense. Choose your gear depending on what you plan on doing. But if you can find medium armor with equal or greater stats, by all means get it.
  5. ARCHIVED-UnicyclePeon Guest

Thanks!

What about weapons? It seems everyone uses Rapiers and Sabers and Cutlass stuff then? I'm more of a dual-short swords or dual-daggers type. Am I screwing myself by trying to stick to daggers and short swords?

Uni P
  6. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

Do the class armor quest. Great AC and stats. I was even tanking giants and centaurs at 24 and doing pretty good.

The armor is free and is really good. I don't like the pink but, I still wear it for the stats.

Dual wield all the way. I have never even used a shield.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ipyc Guest

What about weapons? It seems everyone uses Rapiers and Sabers and Cutlass stuff then? I'm more of a dual-short swords or dual-daggers type. Am I screwing myself by trying to stick to daggers and short swords?
    In case you missed my fisrt reply. You have a choice between axes, swords, whips, spears, daggers and rapiers of varying sizes and styles.
    This means you can use any thing you want. If you want to dw daggers, then by all means do it. If you want to dw swords, then equip 2 dw swords. As long as it says it's a dual wield weapon, then your free to use it with any other dw weapon.
  8. ARCHIVED-Erasmus Guest

Its really up to you. I think we have a higher piercing skill than slashing ( havent looked in a while), so most tend to stick with dual wield rapiers, daggers, etc. Feel free to use what you want though. Most really only expect you to dual wield and dont really care what as long as its up to date.

Stay away from one handed + shield unless you are taking hits. For soloing sword + board is fine, it works jsut as well as dual wield, but it deals less damage so its not what is preferred in a group where the defense doesnt help you.
  9. ARCHIVED-UnicyclePeon Guest

Cool, thanks to everyone for the replies. Much appreciated!