/way not working??

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by K1ndra, Nov 3, 2016.

1. K1ndra New Member

When I type /way and then a waypoint in eq2 nothing show's up. I cant get it to work in any zone. I have re-installed eq2 maps and validated my eq2 files and still nothing.. Now I have just upgraded my machine and am using windows 10 I wonder if its something to do with that or something else????

any help would be greatly appreciated

regards
    K............
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Have you tried copying and pasting a known waypoint instead of typing it?
  3. K1ndra New Member

yes I have tried that from one from eq2 wiki. I'm wondering if its a C++ problem or flash or some other 3rd party program that's causing the issue. It's worked great for years till I upgraded my machine and went from windows 7 to 10 :(

many thanks
    Dave
  4. Mazcote Yarquest Active Member

My opinions of Win10 aside, I have always used "/waypoint" and have done so pretty recently so I am fairly certain that works. Frankly I never knew that "/way" would work.
  5. K1ndra New Member

yes /way does work its always worked for me until now, I have even tried /waypoint but that don't work too.. nothing happens at all
  6. Svenone Well-Known Member

Partial commands, like "/way" instead of "/waypoint", will work as long as they are unique. "/way" would not work if there were another command that started with "way"....for instance, if there were commands "/waypoint" and "/wayside", "/way" would not work because the system wouldn't know which one to use, but "/wayp" would work because it provides enough information to differentiate it from "/wayside".

You can see what the commands are by starting a command and then pressing the tab key instead of the enter key. Warning, though: many of the commands that will be shown are not usable from the command line and instead are meant to be used as part of a UI script. Also, some commands take a second word, and there is no way that I know of to reveal those secondary words. (for instance, "/guild remove")
  7. K1ndra New Member

Ok did a brand new install downloaded from the web site, tried it before and after eq2 map install and nothing worked at all. must be something to do with windows 10 :( really stuck now gutted..
    K..............
  8. Tupperbeast Active Member

Just try Zam instead of Wiki and it will go. Is a Win 10 and EQ2 UI Problem, but daybreak did nothing to fix.
    Daybreak have a fail Custom Service atm sorry to say...

With Zam will works...
  9. Katz Well-Known Member

I have windows 10 and everything in EQ2 works fine including /way and /waypoint. I'm not sure it is simply a windows 10 problem.
    Svenone and HaphazardAllure like this.
  10. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

Setting waypoints doesn't work for me either. They used to, round about last summer before I took a break, but the last couple months since I've been back, it never works. I've tried waypoints every way I know how and nothing. /way, /waypoint, with and without commas, copy/pasting, etc. Never works.
  11. Mysstie Well-Known Member

Bizarre.. do any other slash commands work? /wave /gu /gsay /say and so on?

I wonder if something is intercepting the command somehow? Some application or a/v software interfering?
  12. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

For me, all other slash commands work. Only /waypoint is not functioning.
  13. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

/way was working for me up until about 2 weeks ago. now, I can't copy - paste coordinate points from wiki either. I have to specifically type them out now (yeah, yeah I know, Q.Q). But I agree, something broke or changed.
  14. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Running W10 X64 here and have tried /way, /wayp and /waypoint in a few zones and its working fine for me as do copying/pasting waypoints from wiki and zam. So when you say it's not working, exactly what isn't working. I've noticed recently that the wisp that leads you to your destination is a little laggy and sometimes wont show up until I'm moving toward or close to my destination. If you're not seeing the wisp at all, perhaps it could be due to graphics settings ?
    Are you using EQ2Maps and is it up to date. I do and update daily, so this could be an issue with the standard map.
    When you set a waypoint do you see an arrow on your minimap showing the heading to your destination or do you see the white X on the main map indicating where your destination is ? If you do then /way is working and it could just be an issue with the wisp.
    Finora and Kittybock like this.
  15. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

I do not have EQ2Maps. My game is 100% vanilla. I type in or paste in a waypoint I have copied from somewhere else (Zam, wiki, other, and chat), I hit enter, and nothing happens. No orange dot on the mini map or big map. No wisp trail. Nothing.

I have everything graphical maxed out. I sometimes turn off shadows in Frostfang Sea because that snow is blinding in the daytime. :p

I have:
    Alienware X51-R2
    Windows 10
    GeForce GTX 1060
    6 GB
    NVidia driver version 373.06
    i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz
    16 GB RAM
    3440x1440, 60Hz
  16. K1ndra New Member

I have tried it with eq2 maps (updated daily) and without, even on my old eq2 and the new re-installed and freshly downloaded eq2, typing coordinates from zam and wiki, but return nothing at all no X on any map and no whisp, all other / commands work ok just the /way, /waypint one doesn't do anything at all.
    Got to be something that's interfering somewhere.

Thanks
    Dave
  17. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

Zone into any city, open your map, and type Alt+W to show the waypoints window. Click some of the locations in the list. You should get yellow text directions in chat (Status Text chat category), an indicator on the map and possibly a wisp each time you choose a destination. What do you get?
    Mystyrys and flameweaver like this.
  18. Armageddoux Active Member

@Mystyris Did you try to type it in the chat window or simply did a copy in wiki ? I suspect problem is more a paste problem than a /way problem.

Please try this : in chat window type /loc, note the X, Y and Z numbers and do some steps in Norrath not many. Then tpe /way space and X, Y Z (with right numbers) to verify it's working, absolutely no reason this does not work
    Mystyrys likes this.
  19. Kittybock Well-Known Member

I have not had issue with this, but a couple guild members complained. In some cases, they'd made an error. So, for sake of testing....here is a waypoint (from the quest: Name of Fear).
    • Go to Butcherblock and test this one: /waypoint -303, 184, 755
    The above waypoint does work. That said, when adding info for Wiki, they are not adding the /waypoint, as Zam used to do. They list only coordinates. If using Wiki info, you need to type /waypoint in chat window, space, then paste the coordinates. I know most have probably tried that, but want to make sure all are using same syntax.

Another thought: 2 of those in our guild which have had issues are not using default UI. I believe both use Profit? Perhaps an issue with 3rd party UI's?
    Mystyrys likes this.
  20. Porrum Member

Troubleshooting!

First, see if your whole map system is broken. Go to any zone that has any kind of symbol on the map, and click it. Does the blinking "X" show up, and does it say anything about how to get there? If it's close to you, you'll get the golden path, if not, you should get a message in text about how it'll show the path when you get close. Either way, there should be an X on the map, and an orange arrow on your minimap pointing in that direction.

If this doesn't work, the issue is with the game, and I'm not sure what to do. Open a support ticket I guess?

If it does work, then we test the next step. See if the /waypoint command works at all. Use Kittybock's test, go to Butcherblock, then *manually* type in "/waypoint -303, 184, 755" (without quotes) and hit enter. Do not paste, just type in the numbers manually. Make sure that negative is a normal minus sign, not an underscore or unusual character. Make sure there's a space between "/waypoint" and the negative sign.

If that works, then waypoint is fine, and it's a paste issue. To troubleshoot that, open notepad, type those same numbers in ("-303, 184, 755"). Next, select those numbers with your mouse, and copy them to the clipboard. Then go into game, type /waypoint_cancel and press enter (if the first waypoint is still active) then type "/waypoint" then a space, then paste in the numbers from notepad. Your chatbox should now have the text "/waypoint -303, 184, 755" (without quotes) just like before. Hit enter, did it work? If so, then the issue isn't with paste, it's with your browser.

So open this page, and copy the loc from this post or Kittybocks. Paste it into a new line in notepad. Does it look exactly like the one you typed in earlier? Is the minus sign actually a minus sign, or is it a special character or an html code like "‐" ? Is there any goofiness in front of or behind the numbers? If it looks good, then try it again in game, open a chat, type "/waypoint" and a space then paste in the numbers, and see if it works exactly like before. If that works, then your browser is ok, and the issue is probably the website you were using. Go to that website, copy a loc, and paste it into notepad. Anything weird? If not, try pasting it in game.

Whichever point this works or stops working will help us narrow down what's actually broken and possibly let us fix it =)
    Mystyrys, Kittybock and flameweaver like this.