Waterfall Help?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

It's probably been done before, though I haven't found anything quite like it doing a Search here: I don't have the cash resources/Carpentry expertise/uber-generous guildies/etc. on my non-main servers to do waterfalls with the way-too-expensive Steam Lord Tapestries, so what's a good alternative way to do waterfalls? Does increasing the size and tilt of the dragon or griffin fountains (the ones that have the water coming out of the critters' mouths) work well? Are there quest rewards that give those sorts of things, or all they are player-crafted (which would be cool; more chances they'd be on the Broker)? And on the subject, what's a good way to do the vertical rocks associated with a waterfall cutting its way through the stone? I have alts on Antonia Bayle, Crushbone, Splitpaw, and Test. ;->

Uwk
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it myself, but the watery platform from the Moonlight event might be an alternative to the steam lord tapestry. Covering up the edges wouldn't be too difficult. I've tried working with fountains and they don't cover up well. They still looks like big fountains with stuff on them. Rough and crude stone benches are generally used for the rocks. Those are from the Grobb recipe book.
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

If you use the layout editor to do some careful placement the Watery Platform can make a water-wall. The Griffon statue fountains make amazing waterfalls BUT you have to tilt them into the wall to hide the base... this means they can only be place with the Layout Editor AND have to be put on a wall that doesn't go into another room or the base will stick out of the wall awkwardly. You can also use the Mystical Mirror but that is by far the most difficult to work with.

The Steamlord Taps though can be crafted if you REALLY wanted to you could level a Carpenter... but that would take some time.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Meh; have never used the Layout Editor, but I like to think I've gotten some pretty cool results just using Notepad to edit the layout (you need to know what all the numbers mean, but if the old guide to such survived the transition to the new forum...); I think I could bury the Watery Platform pretty well, and it's a good idea...perhaps better than trying to bury the heads, walls, etc. of the "regurgitating critter" fountains, though I love the separate stream effect. ;->

Thanks! :)

Uwk
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

6. Kisy Active Member

Uwkete:

The editor take some time to learn, but there are quick tutorials that Jazabelle has posted, and Jesdyr has posted a quick link to download it ( they are stickied at the front of the Homeshow forum ).

It basically simplifies what your doing in notepad. There are also some other neat tricks that can be done in the editor, that would take a lot longer in notepad to do. Personally I'm math dumb, so the editor makes it a lot simplier for me.

( DOH! I just noticed that Estred posted the link for the editor download. However, look at the Tutorials that Jaz put up. They help sooooo much! My suggestion is to go into an empty house and start playing with things. That way if you mess things up, no real damage has been done to things that are already "perfect". )
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I agree. Have a look at the tutorials. They're very nicely done.
  8. Endara Member

If you don't want to bother with the editor, I would suggest using Notepad++ instead of Notepad. It has a rather neat feature where if you highlight a word it will automatically highlight every instance of that word. Makes it much easier to e.g. find 10 sumac tiles in 400 lines of code.
  9. Elostirion Well-Known Member

This is the way I went, except I built up a false floor so you were looking down on the base like a koi pond. My preferred waterfall at the moment.

Oh, and is this the place to gripe about a pet peeve- fishtanks made with steamlord tapestries... Look at real fishtanks again. the walls dont ripple, the top does. Hee hee.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Endara, where did you get Notepad++? Should I just Google it?

Elostirion, you're right...I made my giant tanks for an "Abe Sapien" Erudite out of size-increased Vampire Mirrors (both Wispy and solid, depending); I like the misty effect, but I'm not sure if it's enough for the illusion (many aquatic critter plushies here and there help ;->). What do you think about adding Misty Blue or Misty Fog tiles, set up vertically instead of their usual horizontal orientation? They do seem to have a "current flow" to their misty patterns. Personally, I'm leaning toward the Misty Fog, largely because you wouldn't actually have blue water with that relatively small an amount.

As to the waterfall in my other house, I'm still torn between the Fountains and the "pond" tile, though the latter is definitely cheaper. I'll see what I can do about "beefing it up" a bit (few waterfalls are uniform sheets of water in the "wilds"). I know you can put some things in the "pond" tile and have them settle at a depth of a few inches, though you can't go through the tile (more's the pity); I wonder how it would react to being vertical and having rocks or whatever behind it, "poking through" so the water "flows" over them. ;->

Uwk