*Warning: Retrying paks/Char_B1.vpk

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by PsiberDaemon, Aug 29, 2018.

1. PsiberDaemon Active Member

So I keep getting this error on a new install of EQ2 (I don't have a backup copy immediately available) all other files appear to have updated properly (using a fresh installation just downloaded) - It then tells me the following:

"*Error: The downloaded file is incomplete or was corrupted. An update may be in progress. Please try again in 20-30 minutes."

This has been going on since last night. Any thoughts? Like I said, all other files seemed to download just fine. I didn't see anything else on the forums...
  2. PsiberDaemon Active Member

UPDATE: oddly enough, I managed to gain access to my home system and checked the /paks folder... there doesn't appear to be a "CHAR_B1.vpk" ... in addition, I got a new error:

"*Error: Unable to download SocketError:Host Not Found (11001 - 205.185.208.88 - http://eq2.patch.daybreakgames.com/...08b/aec39d6798c06f384cab6b6e858f7e84585?cb=JD"

I'm starting to think this might be something on DBG's end. I'll just have to take it step by step.
  3. Pidz Member

Same problem here, replacing the file by the one of a EQ2 backup directory don't work, the launcher keeps trying to replace it and fails each time
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

When you start the Launchpad, click the Advanced Tools button (crossed hammer and wrench icon) and ask it to validate your files. Sometimes files get borked, and this will fix them.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. Pidz Member

Problem solved here, l just kept retrying and eventually the update reached 100%
    Cyrrena likes this.
  6. PsiberDaemon Active Member

tried that. it says 1 file needs to be fixed, then starts trying to download it. It gets to 68Mb of 128Mb then freezes, restarts, tries 3 times and then gives me the Corrupted File Error. I DID manage to locate a backup copy of the game client from my work PC so I'm in the process of transferring it to Dropbox and then to my computer here to see if that will solve the problem. Hopefully... /crossfingers
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. PsiberDaemon Active Member

ugh. I hope this backup copy I got from work will solve it. I've been trying since last night and it keeps giving me the same error.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  8. PsiberDaemon Active Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for pitching in and lending their thoughts and support! It's nice to have a community. Sigrdrifa, I've been seeing your posts in these forums since I was a wee kitteh on Highkeep back in the days of Spirit Shards and Character Class Quests (not to mention Citizenship Quests!) thanks for lending (as always) a helping hand!
  9. PsiberDaemon Active Member

Mark this one as solved. I finally retrieved an old backup copy, erased the paks folder and copied the backup one. There were a lot of files that needed to be updated, but in the end, it got past that CHAR_B1 file. Thanks again for all the help!
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Haloek Member

I just had this same issue. After trying to reinstall for several hours and deleting the other Char_B files. It finally struck me that the Test Server redownloads all game files so I figured it was worth a try. I started the download waited a little while checked the test server paks folder and it was there so I copied it and pasted it into live server paks folder and scanned game files and sure enough it worked and let me right in. Hope this helps others.:)
    Cyrrena and Cragfire like this.
  11. Egad New Member

How do we download from the test server? After downloading the full game thru the launcher it is stuck with that file being corrupt. I can launch from the Everquest 2 App, but my character shows no chest armor and many NPCs are naked. So far it seems playable, but annoying as hell.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  12. Wicklet New Member

Has anyone figured this out. I started my account back and tring to redownload the game and it keeps failing on the char_B1.vpk file. Can anyone send me the file so i can add it or tell me how to get past this part. Or how to download the test server files? Thanks
    Cyrrena likes this.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You need to create a support ticket and get the actual DBG tech support people to help on this one. It's not something other players can help with.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  14. dan hensley New Member

So I have the same issue, went through it with support and now they sent me to bug report where I guess I just wait, which they say no timeline and they prob won't respond... cool

Was there a fix for this found by anyone?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You can set up an entirely new eq2 folder and rename it eq2test or something, then in the lower left corner, of the launchpad, the little toolbox, click that and select the version, you can select US English, EU English, Test, Beta (none available now), download the Test into that new folder you created. I prefer to keep them in totally separate folders, although you do not have to.
    Breanna likes this.