Warlock getting Aggro with low damage over high damage mentored Wizard?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Denon, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Denon Guest

Is there something special about Warlocks and aggro? Or does Mentoring throw off aggro?
    I play a 90 Wizard, 200+AA, 100% Critical. I have it specced out to be a tank wizard and will mentor down and obliterate lower level zones. Tanking yellow ^^^ mobs in the 60's with no problem.
    My wife is currently playing a Warlock - in her 60's - so I am mentoring down to her.
    I'll pull with a Ice Comit that does at least 15K damage (when mentored to the 60's), then she hits it with somthing that does around 2K damage and she will often pull the aggro.
    Niether toons have any hate gain/reduction items or Achievements - our Hate Mod stat is 0%.
    I am trying to keep the aggro on the Wizard since he can take the hits.
    So, are Warlocks just screwed up when it comes to aggro? Or is there something else I am missing?
  2. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

If you notice the hate numbers, the DoT of a warlock seems to add ALL HATE with the first tick.
    So a DoT that is 8 'ticks' of 2k each may get 16k (hence pulling aggro from a 15k Ice Comet) worth of aggro on the spell 'start' even though the damage will come over the next 8 seconds. I haven't thoroughly tested this theory, but it seems to match what I see when I am on my lock.
    There also used to be a bug that was 'supposedly' fixed that if i cast a 'green' encounter based spell my hate was multiplied by the number of members in my group so my 2k dot may end up being 32k of aggro when duoing and 48k when trioing.
    Warlock aggro is just weird. Someone will likely chime in with more 'testing' and parses.
  3. ARCHIVED-ravenkitty Guest

you may hit te mob first, but if shr piles on a DoT, or two, like mentioned above, here DoTs vs your one shot is gonna steal the agro as you dont have enough time to build up your hate. she /should/ have a small hate transfer...why isnt she using it? also, one hit, is gonna only take the first agro. her dots hitting more then your one cast, or two cast builds the agro faster. us locks are REALLY good at stealing agros... but learning to NOT steal the agro comes with time. try having her change up her casting order to, say two single shots, then, her dots.
  4. ARCHIVED-Oddwhispers Guest

Chiyoiche@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Hate Xfer only works on fighters.
  5. ARCHIVED-Yoshabel Guest

Denon wrote:
    I honestly see nothing wrong with this. Only thing I can say is you need to step up your game. /shrug