Warden FAQ Version 2.0 EoF info added! (Last Edited Jan 30th, 2007)

Discussion in 'Warden' started by ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher, Sep 22, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

Warden FAQ version 2.1
    1. What is a Warden?

Wardens are one of the six healing classes in EQ2. We specialize in Heal over Time spells (HoT) and elemental damage spells. While doing more damage than other healing classes, our armor is leather based, providing less physical protection than available to a Mystic/Defiler (chain) or Templar/Inquisitor (plate).

2. Early Warden Considerations (Stats, Races, Class)
    Your primary stat is Wisdom.

The "cap" for all stats is (Level*15 +20) with diminishing returns at the higher levels (>600).

Wisdom (WIS) increases the size of the Warden's Power pool. It also increases your resistances to spell damage. Wardens get spells that buff this stat for themselves and their group.

Stamina (STA) increases the size of the Warden's Health pool. When your health pool reaches 0 you fall unconscious, and will usually die shortly thereafter unless healed quickly.

Intelligence (INT) increases the damage of the Warden's spells, including damage shields and items that "proc" (have a percentage change to "process" a spell effect)

Strength (STR) increases the Warden's melee damage and how much you can carry. This stat is important if you decide to take the EoF Melee Alternate Advancement line

Agility (AGI) increases the Warden's avoidance, which decreases the chance of an enemy to hit. Wardens get spells that buff this stat for themselves and their group.

What Race should I play?
    Although it might seem that races that start with a higher base wisdom stat are
    more suited to be a Warden, the racial difference in the wisdom stat is quickly overcome by the added bonuses of equipment, jewelry and wisdom buffs. Therefore, choosing a race that is visually appealing to you is probably more important long term than the initial stats. Your starting race will determine what city you are from (Freeport, Qeynos, Kelethin), and both good and evil races can choose to become a Warden. A list of racial trait bonuses can be found here:

http://www.eq2arcanum.com/static/RacialTraditions.php

Why should I play a Warden instead of any other healer?
    Wardens are the "pure" healing class. Our heals are the most power efficient because they all include a heal over time (HoT) component. They are also very fast casting! This can make an amazing difference during long fights, or fights with unexpected adds (additional creatures that
    unexpectedly attack). The caveat to this healing power is the difficulty in healing sudden large amounts of damage (burst damage) that other healing classes have less trouble with. This forces the Warden to be a bit more proactive with our heals than other classes, as it can be easy to fall behind in healing the damage and get into trouble.
    Wardens can solo well, using our elemental nukes and dot combined with strong immobilizing spells (roots) to kill melee creatures without being harmed in return. Our strong resists (especially heat and cold) make it possible to resist a large amount of spells cast on us (although your equipment plays a large role in this also). Wardens have strong group heals and regens making us perhaps the best healer to recover from Area of Effect (AoE) spells.

3. What spells do Wardens get?
    A truly excellent chart of all Warden spells 1-70 is located here http://www.eq2ref.com/abilities/?class=Warden

Note that this chart shows the next upgrade in the spell line, as well
    as the Master2 choices (more on this later). A quick summary would
    include Heals (of course), Nukes, Group Wisdom/Agility/Health/Resist Buffs, Damage Shields, and Evac (emergency group teleport).

Upgrading spells
    Your spells are automatically given to you when you gain each level from
    levels 1-50. Starting at level 51, you will need to purchase your
    spells from merchants or the broker, or find them via mob drops.
    Upgrading your spells is of PRIMARY importance, as they have the single
    most impact on how well your class performs. Heals will take the
    highest priority, followed by whatever spells you are using most often
    (buffs for grouping, nukes for soloing)

What are Spell Upgrades?
    Unlike EQ1, In EQ2, Spells can be upgraded much like equipment. There are several levels of each spell, going from Apprentice 1 (Weakest) to Master 2 (Strongest)

Apprentice 1 Granted automatically to Warden from Levels 1-50
    Apprentice 2 Purchased from NPC vendors in Cities
    Apprentice 3-4 Player made by Sage Tradeskill
    Adept 1 Dropped from Wooden Chests, can often be found on City Brokers
    Adept 3 Player made with rare harvest component by Sage Tradeskill
    Master 1 Dropped from Master Chests (usually very powerful heroic or raid mobs)
    Master 2 Player chosen upgrade at levels 14, 24, 34, 44, 54, 64

I just got a rare harvest component, what spells can/should I Upgrade to Adept 3?
    The rare harvest to upgrade your spells to Adept 3 comes from the gem

harvest nodes and uses the mining skill. The rare component harvested

is as follows:

Tier 1 (Level 1-9) Rough Lapis or Copper Cluster
    Tier 2 (Level 10-19) Rough Coral
    Tier 3 (Level 20-29) Rough Jasper
    Tier 4 (Level 30-39) Rough Opal
    Tier 5 (Level 40-49) Rough Ruby
    Tier 6 (Level 50-59) Rough Pearl
    Tier 7 (Level 60-70) Rough Moonstone

Remember, don’t upgrade something to Adept 3 if you are going to get it at master 2!

Master 2 Spell ChoicesStarting at level 14, and every 10 levels afterwards (24, 34, 44, etc.) We are allowed to upgrade one of four spells to the most powerful version, Master 2! This upgrade is free!

Here is the list of Master 2 choices. Format is:
    (Level Spell Received) Name of Spell – Brief Description of Spell Effect [Next Spell Upgrade]

Level 14 (10) NettleShield - Damage Shield [24 Barbcoat]
    (11) Chill - Cold Nuke [25 Frost]
    (12) Regrowth - Single Target Regen [19 Greater Regrowth]
    (14) Winds of Renewal - Group Regen [28 Blessings of Earth]
    Level 24

(19) Greater Regrowth - Single Target Regen [26 Blessings of the Grove]
    (20) Protector of the Forest - Wolf form, increased physical mitigation [34 Warden of the Forest]
    (23) Cold Snap - Cold DoT [37 Frostbite]
    (24) Barbcoat - Damage Shield [38 Bramblecoat]

Level 34
    (31) Summer's Flame - Heat Nuke [45 Solar Burn]
    (32) Nature's Embrace - Single Target Direct Heal + HoT [46 Verdant Rapture]
    (33) Protection of the Seasons - Group Physcial and Magic Mitigation Buff [47 Spirit of the Oak]
    (34) Warden of the Forest - Wolf form, increased physical mitigation [48 Steward of the Forest]

Level 44
    (39) Bitter Frost - Cold Nuke [53 Hoarfrost]
    (40) Chloroplast - Single Target Regen [54 Wild Growth]
    (42) Chlorostorm - Group Regen [56 Wild Chlorostorm]
    (43) Sylvan Waters - Single Target Direct Heal + HoT [Sylvan Streams 57]

Level 54
    (4 Steward of the Forest - Wolf form, increased physical mitigation [62 Patron of the Forest]
    (52) Thorncoat - Damage Shield [66 Spikecoat]
    (53) Hoarfrost - Cold Nuke [67 Subzero]
    (54) Wild Growth - Single Target Regen [68 Greater Chloroplast]

Level 64(60) Winds of Arctic Cold - Encounter based AoE Cold Nuke
    (60) Verdant Bliss - Single Target Direct Heal + HoT
    (61) Bracken - Encounter based root
    (63) Regenerative Spores - Single Target Buff with HoT proc (percentage chance to heal every time target is hit)

Why can't I stack my concentration buffs?
    Concentration buffs are meant to be used until you can receive their upgrade, with the old one taken off the spell bar.

I just hit level 51 and didn't get my spell?!
    Spells level 51+ are no longer granted automatically, they have to be purchased either from a sage via tells or the broker, or from the Golden Scepter in Maj'Dul

Do Wardens get any spells just for fun?Yes, these are know as "fluff" spells as they have no use in combat or adventuring. They are just for style and flash. They must be purchased separately from NPC vendors in your home city.

Dust Cloud (Level 20) - Flowing leaf animation around the Warden
    Rowyl's Form of the Vale (Level 30) - Bee illusion
    Call of the Fae (Level 35)- Fairy illusion
    Form of the Strange Bear (Level 40) - Owlbear illusion
    Warden's Gentle Reminder (level 45) - Summons a hail of boulders over target ally
    Reebo's Circling Runes (Level 50) - Flowing green rune animation around the Warden

4. Warden Quests and Equipment upgrades
    Here are a few quest lines that relate to Warden Armor

There is a six part progressive quest starting at level 20 for wardens, rewarding you with a different piece of armor for each completed quest

For Qeynos Wardens: South Qeynos, under the tree on the east side. Selwyn Oakheart
    For Freeport Wardens: North Freeport, go to Vassi Darkscale in the Jade Tiger Inn

What about Armour Quests after level 20?Level 30+ Enchanted Lands, Deputy Nettlebrine on the steps down from the dock.Level 30+ Zek, Hammer on the top of the barricade (although imo its more brawler oriented)
    Level 40+ Armor upgrades can come from rare pelts (augmented leather pelt) unless you want to raid - apart from the Golden Efreeti Boots (GEBS) heritage quest you can get the Tobrin's EyePatch heritage quest from Everfrost, but its not really worth the effort IMO - and you will have
    leveled beyond it by the time you get it without help from higher levels.
    Level 50+ Armor is also rare pelts (scaled leather pelts), and player made Pearl Jewelry (is a major step up from t5 jewelry)
    Level 60+ Armor is easy enough to find if you group through instanced zones a lot. You can also use the tier 7 rare pelts (dragonhide leather pelts) for the player made mastercrafted leather armor (nice stats andresists)

I've heard some players talk about Relic Armor. What is that?

(from EQ2 Traders) Relic armor is high-end KoS armor that is created from mob drops.
    Players must obtain the base no drop armor in KoS raid zones (Lyceum, Vyemm's Lab, Deathtoll), then bring the piece(s) plus the appropriate dropped (tradeable) gems to Keortor Talyse in Solusek's Eye for final creation. (He is located down near the Forge of Ages at -67, -625, -48.)

Priest Classes - appropriate Relic piece plus:
    • Chest: 3 Pristine Obsidians
    • Legs: 3 Refined Black Pearls
    • Shoulders: 3 Refined Adamantines
    • Forearms: 3 Refined Quartz
    • Head: 3 Refined Aquamarines
    • Hands: 3 Refined Topaz
    • Feet: 3 Refined Rubies

Any non-essential but helpful Quests I should do?

Call of Ro - quest that gives you the Call of Ro teleport spell, like your Call of Qeynos/Freeport spell.
    Splitpaw Access
    - Complete 3 quests for the "good" gnolls in the Splitpaw Dungeon to receive a teleportation shard. This gives you a quick way to access the Thundering Steppes as well as another way to get to a mender if you are in need, and your 'Call' is down. Note that while in Thundering Steppes, your evac spell will give you fast access to the TS docks, with mariner bells to Everfrost, City of Mara, Zek, Feerot, and Nek Forest.

These quests are too easy! I want something harder!At the end of the original game, and each expansion, there is a lengthy quest ending in a tough raid fight and a powerful item. These quests are not of the faint of heart, or people not willing to devote a lot of time to complete them. Solo wardens need not apply, you will need powerful allies to complete these quests!

Prismatic
    Godking
    Claymore
    Swords of Destiny

5. Warden Achievements (Alternate Advancement - Kingdom of Sky, Echoes of Faydwer)
    What are Achievements?
    Achievements are specialized points you can use to upgrade your character beginning
    at level 10 if you have the Echoes of Faydwer expansion. You can earn a maximum of 50 Achievement Points for your character in your archetype (Druid) and another 50 points in your class (Warden). You earn achievement experience by exploring new places, defeating named mobs, completing challenging quests (ranked blue or above), completing tome and collections quests, and looting legendary and fabled items. At level 70, any experience gained is converted into Achievement experience.

What are the Warden Achievements?
    Achievements
    Kingdom of Sky Achievements - http://www.eq2ref.com/aa/index.php?class=Druid (Warden and Fury, from eq2ref.com)
    Echoes of Faydwer Achievements - http://www.eq2ref.com/aa/index.php?class=Warden (Warden only, from eq2ref.com)
    6. Echoes of Faydwer Druid Portal

What are the Druid Portals?

Starting at level 25, druids can quest for a set of spells which allow them to open a portal to 5 zones, two old world and three in the new EoF expansion. The zones you can open a portal to are, Antonica, Commonlands, Butcherblock Mountains, Steamfont Mountains, and Greater Faydark. You arrive at the Druid Ring in each zone. The portal stays open for about a minute, and other players that have visited the druid ring and collected an item from them can travel through the portal as well. There is a short quest involved, details of which can be found in the below guide written by Crimson Dragon.
    Crimson Dragon's Guide to getting your Druid Ports
  2. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

<div>Edit History
    04-04-07 2.1 Trying to clean up the formatting since the forum change, having issues with making edits, trying to clean up broken links to ogaming and old SOE forums.
    01-31-07 2.0 Added information about stat cap changes, changed links to KoS, EoF AA lines, added link to Crimson Dragon's Portal Guide (to do, add information on EoF set items)
    10-15-06 1.71 Added link to racial traits and removed Silver Cluster from Adept3 part of Spell Section.
    09-30-06

1.70 Numbered main headings, added starter Raid Section, added

notifications of stat cap changes coming (Post is now stickied, woot!)
    09-25-06

1.61 Stat cap clarified under Warden Early Consideration heading,

description of stats rewritten to indicate which stats Warden buff

(WIS/AGI) with spells.
    09-24-06 1.6 Modified Master 2 spell

section (again) to improve horrible color and table formatting, and to

include more information on level spell is received and replaced.
    09-23-06

1.5 Added list of fun spells under Warden Spells heading,

Modified Master 2 spell choices with more consitent recommendations and

color scheme. Removed PVP section (not enough info yet)
    09-23-06

1.4 Removed heal recommendation from Master 2 spell section and

changed table and color format, updated links to ogaming for armor and

equipment quests
    </div>

<div>09-23-06 1.3 Condensed Spell related topics, changed link to

different spell spreadsheet, added Apprentice to Master Spell Tiers

under Warden Spells heading, added Equipement and Armor section heading
    09-22-06

1.2 Modified Group Healing Section, Cleaned up links to Armor

Quests, Added Yellow Color to subsection, Added Blue Highlight to

Master2 Heal Choices
    09-22-06 1.1 Added Credit to Bieb for his Fury FAQ that is the foundation for this FAQ
    </div>
    Message Edited by MullenSkywatcher on <span class="date_text">01-30-2007</span> <span class="time_text">09:46 AM</span>
  3. ARCHIVED-Dragonrealms Guest

I like this guide a lot except for just this part... I feel that saying that healing like that is the "best" way is not really true as it can make one think that that's the ONLY way to do it (in much the same way as saying sta and int are the best aa lines adn thereofre giving the impression that's the only way to go). There are a few different ways to deal with grp healing and presenting only one of them is unfair to anyone starting out.
    I have never once in my entire time as a warden (since a few weeks after game release) used both the single target and group regens to heal just one target, nor have I ever pre-healed my tank.. not even right after dof came out (and yes I was still solo helaing most of the time at that point); despite not following this widely accepted way of doing things, I've been told by friends, guildies, and even another warden in a competing raid guild that I am the best warden on our server /shrug That said, my point here isn't to brag but just to point out that if you're going to make a guide/faq like this, you should post all the ways of doing things and not just one because there honestly is no single "right" way of doing things.. it's all up to each person to find the way that best fits them and how they play.
    Message Edited by Dragonrealms on 09-22-2006 07:29 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

I agree, how would this be as a modification?

Group Healing

Your job in groups is to keep the group alive by healing the damage inflicted by mobs, and by curing debuffs cast on your party. Generally, one of the fighter archtype (nicknamed 'tanks' - Guardian/Berserker, Paladin/Shadowknight, Monk/Bruiser) will be using his or her abilities (taunt) to keep the mobs focused on them, as they will take the least amound of physical damage (either by reducing damage [mitigation] or by causing mobs to miss [avoidance]. By having the mobs focused on one character, your job becomes much simpler. Keep that person alive! While healing other members of your group is recommended, it is often counterproductive to save another class only to have the main tank die, as the group is usually destroyed soon afterwards. Sometimes you will want to keep the tank as your target, so that you can use your single target heals, but need to heal another party member. As wardens receive excellent group based heals, you can cast a group heal and/or regen to heal that person without changing targets and then continue using your single target heals on the tank.

At the higher levels, curing debuffs becomes critical as even a single debuff from a raid type mob can crippled a tank. If you are one of multiple healers in a group (a frequent occurance in raids and difficult zones), make sure you are dividing the responsibilites up so that there is no duplication of efforts (e.g. One healers can take curing the Main Tank (MT) and healing other group members while the other healer focuses on just healing the MT.)
    Message Edited by MullenSkywatcher on 09-23-2006 05:29 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-Dragonrealms Guest

6. ARCHIVED-Nexiia Guest

Wow did I ever have things wrong on the group healing aspect, I thought when monsters attacked I was just supposed to run around casting sylphs and screaming HELP! OH DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP! so the tanks would do their job!

I give this guide 7 and 3/4s of a thumb up.

In all seriousness, good stuff, a relatively accurate guide to playing the warden class is something this forum area really needed with all the people asking, I think the best thing to remember though, is that you can put a spin on any aspect of this class to make it more accustomed to your own style of play.

Except you wild regen people...you are BAD! BAD! *rolls up a newspaper* BAD!

________
    BTW
    STICKY IT PLZ!
    NM the Please part.
    DO IT! :p
    ---------------

Message Edited by Nexiia on 09-22-2006 07:47 PM
    Message Edited by Nexiia on 09-22-2006 07:48 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

Uh...you mean....we're not...supposed to do this? oh wow. :::rethinks entire strategy...:::::
    Seriously too...good work. I'd add a blurb to the group healing section that indicates focus on the MT, but adding the tactic of group heals and regens for those that may be taking damage. This is a double heal for the tank, as well as keeping others getting hit in good health. - IMO best to keep target on the tank for single heals/regens - try not to spot heal if you don't have to, ie taking focus off the tank. If time allows, of course direct heal other party members if needed, but never at the expense of the tank. Mages and scouts that cant keep aggro ..? ::runs finger around throat in threatening gesture::::
    My 2. Good guide...
    PLZ STICKY!
  8. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback! It has been tremendously valuable!

To do list:
    1. Add Fun Spells - Done!
    2. Add Relic Armor to Equipment Section - Done!
    3. Add Class Hat Quest to Equipment Section - Done!

Crashing for the night!
    Message Edited by MullenSkywatcher on 09-23-2006 05:29 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Crimson Dragon Guest

you should also mention reasons why wardens rock....

1. wolf form
    2. good healing
    3. wolf form
    4. all-around buffs
    5. wolf form
    6. decent damage
    7. wolf form
    8. player community
    9. did i mention that we get a wolf form?
  10. ARCHIVED-AnnMarieR Guest

Just a minor detail, but Regrowth (Lvl 14 Master II choice) is also a heal (it isn't currently coloured blue).

Also, is there any chance of a bit more detail about choosing the Master II - it's all very well saying that most people choose a heal... but most of these upgrades have 2-3 choices of heal in the selection. Also, is there never a time to chose one of the others?
  11. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

Good point. Maybe include a section on PvPing Wardens? I think that's where you have the most variety of things to choose from..?
  12. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

Very good points. I think what you are seeing are my biased view of Master 2 choices, coming from the perspective of a PVE, group oriented Warden. No reason to automatically choose heals. I'll go back and rewrite the section to remove that and make it more open ended. That being said, are there any Wardens out there that didn't choose a heal for their Master 2 choices? If so, what influenced your decision and how did you like the result of your choice?
  13. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

Made a few updates, bumping (and hoping to get a sticky please!)
  14. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

For the lvl 24 Master II choice on the PvP server, I chose Wolf form over heals. The server was new, we were all still struggling with getting good armor and equipment. In PvP, you can have all the master heals you want, but if you are dead it doesn't matter. I went with wolf for the extra mitigation...on top of several pieces of rare armor, that made survivability much easier. It was a very good choice. Combining that with good WIS items meant that I had a large power pool that I could actually use because I was not getting one-shotted.
  15. ARCHIVED-sausageburner Guest

16. ARCHIVED-Dragonrealms Guest

Also at 24.. if you choose th em2 regen (greater regrowth) you pretty much just screwed yourself come lvl 26 cuz it'll get replaced with blessing of teh grove which is basically equal to m2 GR at ad1. So even on a pve server, it's not really a good choice to take the heal at that lvl.
  17. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

I can't refute that argument. Can we all agree that it would be bad to choose a damage shield as your master 2 choice as the improvement is minimal? :)
  18. ARCHIVED-AnnMarieR Guest

I have to admit, damage shield upgrades seem pitiful, even at Master II. I think Nettlecoat's Master II damage was something miniscule like 5-6 when I looked at it in the selection box. I'm still starting out my Warden (lvl 16-17 so far) hence my looking at the Guide in the first place - PvE currently (ended up with all my chars on the same server (EU Runnyeye), and all but one in Qeynos (the shared bank slots get a lot of use for raws etc).... 9 in total to cover the crafts (I enjoy tradeskilling), and one free slot for when EoF comes out. Doesn't leave any room for a PvP char unfortunately - though I'm half considering getting a 2nd account some day.

Some sort of Master II guide would be very useful, covering the pro's and con's of each of the 4 choices at each selection. Things like knowing that spell X is about to be replaced by a better one are always useful, as is knowing that this heal is a better choice than that one (because... ), or this wolf-form is a better choice if you are PvP, or a soloer etc. Doubt I'll lvl up fast enough to do such a guide myself, though I might have a go.
    Message Edited by AnnMarieR on 09-23-2006 08:51 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-Arielle Nightshade Guest

I'd say damage shields are nice to have, and the damage does add up - but I wouldn't use a Master II choice on it. Indeed, it would be down the list of updates to get - falling in the category of: If the Master I fell in my lap or someone gave it to me, I'd scribe it...but wouldn't go out of my way to get it. I WOULD upgrade it to Adept I, or even App IV, but wouldn't use a rare on it unless every other spell had been upgraded. And I had one.
  20. ARCHIVED-MullenSkywatcher Guest

I agree that the Master 2 section is barely more than a list of the choices, with no real recommendations made to help new wardens (and a bad color scheme to boot). The problem that I have with making a recomendation on which spell to upgrade (and the reason I removed the orignal recommendations in version 1.0) is that I've been shown by other wardens that the playing style and strategies is much more diverse than I had ever imagined. Which is great for the class, but very difficult to capture in a FAQ designed to help all Wardens, not just ones with a playstyle similar to me. I could safely say if you've settled in your playstyle, then you should upgrade the spells you use most, but in many case (like level 24), you receive the Master 2 choice at the same time you receive the spells themselves. I'm also not sure how often we will be allowed to /respec the choices, so experiementing with the Master 2 choices doesn't seem to be an option. Frankly, I'm stumped (although I'm pretty sure that color scheme has got to go!) :p

Maybe the issue boils down to that Master 2 spell choices reaffirm what decisions you have already made about how you are going to play your Warden. Which means that you will always know better than me what spells you should be upgrading! :) (Does that get me off the hook?)

Message Edited by MullenSkywatcher on 09-23-2006 04:32 PM