VoV: Monk change

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Leibnitz, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Leibnitz Member

Is anyone able to translate this patch note into English please?

• Reduced Dragonfire VI from a -3.1255 multiplier, and a -1.74135 recurrence multiplier with a 0.1 variance to a -1.9778 multiplier, -1.0299 recurrence multiplier, and 0.05 variance.
    I think it means each tick will do less damage (multiplier), happen more frequently (recurrence) and vary less in damage (variance). But I don't get why the numbers are negative, or really whether the new recurrence number is better or worse.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

Good point, After reading this i was just...
    Meh i ll see in game.
  3. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Well, the variance multiplier makes sense-- It's the damage range possible.

If you have a weapon that allows you to do damage ranging anywhere from 1 to 10, then reducing the variance means that damage will more reliably fall between 4 and 7.

I know that the numbers on dragonfire were always all over the place with very little in the way of predictability, so now the DoT portion of the ability will now have more consistency and less damage range.
  4. Leibnitz Member

So variance looks like it has gone from 10% to 5% which I'll say gives a 10% spread instead of a 20% spread in values, presumably landing the average more reliably where it's supposed to be.
    Still not sure I get quite how recurrence works. Is the new number better or worse?
    New damage multiplier is 26.8% lower, new recurrence is 40.9% better/worse. So if the recurrence is worse, it's a big nerf overall.
    Was Dragonfire much better than other AoEs?
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a nerf in damage across the board. Because monks have an ability that gives them a 65% chance to refresh dragonfire, along with the Ready Up ability instantly resetting all the abilities, you have a possibility of refreshing and casting dragonfire 4 times in a couple seconds. Monks would often reliably place near the top of the DPS charts in raids.
    Leibnitz likes this.
  6. Leibnitz Member

Makes sense, thanks Cusashorn.
  7. KingDragon Active Member