Update Notes: September 21, 2005

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Sylvius, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Sylvius Guest

- Pet classes must do at least one point of damage to an encounter in order to receive experience and loot.

What? Why?

Our pets are our primarly class feature. They're a core ability of the class. Why are we being penalised for using them?
  2. ARCHIVED-tonemand Guest

I suspect it has something to do with having the pet guard you, going afk in a blue aggro area, going to bed, and then waking up 8 hours later to be a level higher.

Then again, it could be for other reasons...
  3. ARCHIVED-Sylvius Guest

I'll grant that it's rare I don't at least throw a DoT during a fight, but I object to this in principle. It's been explicitly stated that Summoners should do the majority of their damage through their pets.

Now if I'm low on power I have to wander in and melee? That's absurd.
  4. ARCHIVED-Nosewarts Guest

It's 1 point of dmg, I'm sure you'll manage. Unless you're one of those people who neglected to train up your melee and now you can't hit any mobs your level, lol.
    I agree totally with this change. It's to prevent the xp exploit people use to level unattended without risk. I saw a necro doing it at nek forest beach at blue pirate spawn point. Guess he didn't read the update. Bwahaha! Sucker.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dastion84 Guest

It's a stupid change, even given the "going afk by blue aggro" arguement. Why? Because if I want to do that, all I have to do now is target my pet and put on auto-attack. Turn the "Auto-face in combat" option on and you're set. Considering you're likely fighting greens or blues, odds are you're going to get atleast 1 hit in.

Basically, they did something stupid. They made a change which effects everyone just to target a minority, a change which is easily circumvented and therefore remains only as an annoyance to the rest of the summoner population. A better change would be to make the Guard Me option toggle off if no commands are issued to the pet within a period of time. So just like any other class, if i'm stupid enough to sit in the middle of aggro and walk away for 30 minutes, I deserve to be dead when i walk back.
  6. ARCHIVED-Nosewarts Guest

In theory that should work fine, but back to that necro i was talking about. He did exactly what you suggest, however the problem is that when the mob pops the angle and pets defensive behavior isn't always consistent, and as I was watching while running quests over the next few hours, often his char was just out of melee range. So he probably averaged about 1 green every 15 minutes. These pirates were 22 and he was 30. Consider half of those had the xp nullified. Yeah, I'd say that's a huge waste of time and bandwidth.

Now you need to have the perfect spawn and go through a couple more hoops if you want to get that tiny xp drip afk.

I don't see how this effects 99% of other players in the game. Who doesn't inflict 1 hp dmg to mobs? Sure you can let your pet do the work but that increases downtime through inefficiency. Mana regen is so fast in this game its virtually a waste not to use it to speed up the kill process.
  7. ARCHIVED-Tokamak Guest

Nah this change bites
    What, exactly, am I supposed to do about xp from encounters when harvesting?

Admittedly xp I get from the pet handling aggro when I am looking for food / rares does not add up to much. But i like to have my assassin / tank pet on an offensive stance just get on with the mob while I get on with the harvesting. It just workes out quicker this way for me and I am less likley to get distraced and go off adventuring. (I am a buy-it-off-the-broker kind of provisioner, but it is still nice to go get your own) This change just shafts me and my play style. If other people out there want to exploit game mechanics to lvl faster then good for them, I really dont care one way or the other. What I do care about is exploit hotfixes making regular players (ie my) lives a little more difficult / complicated.

Idiot devs, good combat changes though - absolutley loving the 'new' necro so thanks for that anyways :smileytongue:
  8. ARCHIVED-Psyrus2 Guest

I wonder if this affects being in a group. I duo constantly with a defiler, and when we pull a group of mobs, I send my pet after one mob and forget about it. I then turn my attention to another mob, or help the defiler drop his target. Fighting a large group, my pet takes out at least 2 on his own without me touching them. Hopefully this is only when non grouped because no other class has limitations like this.