undecided on race/class combo

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Stareintothevoid, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Stareintothevoid New Member

I'm a f2p and I know I shouldn't care what race/combo I am. But being undecided has made me stay stuck with zero progress. I prefer to do things solo if I can in MMOs. But I will join with groups and do what I can to get by if I must. I've read that most/all classes can solo on EQ2 these days but I'm still new to this game so please correct me if possible.

I just seem to want something that would be "efficient" not that I'm a hardcore player. I've never tanked before so I'm sort of weary about playing a shadowknight or berserker and I would to avoid making people rage. I know this will come down to opinion and what I like but what would seem to be most "new player" friendly solo race/class combo. Again I know this will come down to me but I just wanted maybe some suggestions or even a flat out "general consensus" type opinion of new player should/could play as.
  2. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

Race is purely your choice. Racial statistics don't count for much past level 20. The abilities a few have, such as tracking or water breathing, can be useful if you are not rolling a class that has those capabilities. Otherwise, play what is aesthetically pleasing to you.

If you want to do a lot of soloing but don't want a tank, I highly recommend either the Inquisitor, Warden, Necromancer, or Conjuror.

The first two are melee healers and can self-cure, self-heal, rez other players and do pretty good dps (the Inquisitor more so than the Warden). The Warden has more utility (you can cast your own druid rings and evac yourself or the group) but wears leather and is squishier than the Inquisitor, who wears plate. The Inq also has the ability to stand still and not be interrupted while casting. My main is my Inquisitor and I use him solo a lot.

The Necromancer is the evil summoner; they are a pet class and totally depend on their interaction with the pet for the damage and heals (to pet, self and even group) that they do. They can also rez a single target. They do a lot of Damage Over Time (DOTs) spellcasting; mostly noxious damage. A Necromancer can charm an undead mob as an additional pet.

The Conjuror is the good summoner; they also are a pet class and do a lot of direct damage type spells, both arcane and elemental, and enhance their pet to do even more damage. They can call up all three of their pet types at once as a temporary attack, and can Plane Shift their current pet for a short time to be a super pet. They can call a group member to them within a zone. The Conjuror isn't able to self heal as much as the Necromancer.

Both summoners can cast a water breathing bauble to use (15 minute duration) and can cast mana replenishing shards.
  3. Fetish Well-Known Member

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...race absolutely matters. If you aren't a Halfling, people will mock you in general chat and kick you from their groups...Halflings are just that over powered in the current expansion.

Now...as for class...for easy solo (yet group optional) play, I would recommend a Fury or a Swashbuckler if you want to avoid healing. If you plan on using a merc when you are not grouped, switch Swashy with Dirge. But of utmost importance...HALFLING!!!
    Tharrakor likes this.
  4. Stareintothevoid New Member

So if I were to go with any of the classes from Fighter, Priest, Mage and Scout what would be the "top" pick for each of them?(and potentially race for said class if possible.)
  5. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Fetish is a funny dude i give him that :p
    But I wouldn't recommend swash or dirge, none of the scouts honestly because they use a lot of positioning and aren't very good at surviving on their own. Mages however, even tho they wear cloth armour they have their tricks to survival and all mage classes can be good at soloing. Personally I love the sorcerers, but if you gonna mostly solo I would roll a necro because they can self heal.

If you decide on a priest I would play either an inq or a fury. Inqs have slower casting on heals but can convert some of their dmg types spells into melee combat arts wich is very handy. Furys do great spell dmg and use mostly healing overtime while inqs use reactive heals.

If you roll a fighter, SK, pally or zerker is probably ur best bet because they have great survivability on their own.

If you do roll a scout I would recomend the brigand, they are probably the most "in ur face" type of scout. They can spec a lot of mit and avoidance thru AA and chain stun enemies. There are also a poison type that has a small heal that you could use..

As of race it doesn't matter! Just a matter of taste. If u gonna choose a race based on useability anyway i would say iksar because they have safe fall and water breathing. They can also choose a great ability that lets you heal urself swiftly after every fight, meaning u never have to wait for health replentishment.
  6. Stareintothevoid New Member

I know I'm thinking to deeply into this but I can't help it.

Anyway I'm leaning towards shadowknight or fury now. Iksar Necromancer or Shadowknight or maybe a Sarnak Fury. I may just go with Ogre Shadowknight. I may regret this thinking in choosing shadowknight but you there is a first time for everything, I guess I could *GASP* learn to tank but I'm not sure how well I will do. I know this is a stupid question, but is there anything that could help me with ability rotation for those said classes? I'll probably make a shadowknight and fury. I'm sort of reluctant in choosing necromancer because I always tend to choose magic pet classes in mmos if and when I can.
  7. Fetish Well-Known Member

Fighter: Halfling Shadowknight
    Priest: Halfling Fury
    Mage: Halfling Necromancer
    Scout: Halfling Dirge

Stareintothevoid, do not be misled by Tharrakor...he obviously despises Halfling superiority, or hates pie. He does offer good advice on a Halfling Brigand being an amazing choice, but the definition of "the most in your face" type of scout is erroneous. They actually have more abilities requiring positional placement than any other scout, but...they are indeed the best scout to play, however it is due to the fact that a Halfling in a Brigand class hat is second in amazingness only to a Ratonga in a Wizard class hat. I recommended Swashy as they are rather easy to play, have few positionals ( 3 ), and are excellent when paired with Halfling.
  8. Malleria Well-Known Member

Not sure why people like Fury as a solo class. Sure they have the dps going for them, but I like the all around awesomeness of an inquisitor for solo. Especially if you're wanting to try solo some old raids or heroics. Having plate mitigation and DG/equilibrium as a fallback is very helpful.
  9. Fetish Well-Known Member

Because I read the OPs post. Its not about liking Fury as a solo class above others...it is about answering the question that was posed...which in no way alluded to a desire to "solo old raid zones". /shrug
  10. Malleria Well-Known Member

The question posed in the OP was a new player friendly solo class. I'm asking why people immediately think Fury when asked about solo classes. As I said, I know they have the dps. But at almost every level of play an inquisitor easily matches that dps, while imo being more diverse in healing and survivability. Just my opinion, but I'm curious what everyone sees in furies that makes them think they're a great solo class.
  11. Charlice Well-Known Member

Druids are great solo because ... druid rings.

You can't go passed a half elf if you intend solo to be your main style of game play, they have track. Track is awesome.
    As for class, fury is a good choice for the rings, or necro, just because they're like christmas on a stick!
    Necro has feign death which can come in handy, and if you like company on your travels, you will always have your pet.

Really any class can be played solo. If you like the look of shadowknight you can and will make it work. The only thing is later, if you decide to group you WILL be expected to tank. That is what always stopped me from leveling a fighter lol. As a tank I make a good mage.
    Malleria likes this.
  12. Stareintothevoid New Member

I guess I'm still undecided. I played a warlock in wow and I'm sick of playing magic classes. I just want something different but reliable. I guess something in scout? Beastmaster or Brigand? For fighters is Bruiser or Monk any good?
  13. Mistybluerose Member

After messing about with squishy mage-classes for years, and playing almost every other class in the game,I eventually discovered that the Paly is by far the easiest class to solo. Totally indestructible, especially with an inquisitor merc to cure stuns. Fast to level because you can round up an entire zone and kill them all at once.
    Second choice would be the beastlord, with the pet + healer merc, you always have a group.

As for race, I am a girl, I like pretty, and all my toons are fluttery fae! She may look like a little butterfly but she stings like a bee!
  14. Stareintothevoid New Member

Are wizards good for solo? I'm considering playing a erudite wizard. I don't care much for min/maxing but in this case if I'm going to play a magic class I want play as a race that is perfect for magic(even though I could be everything.) If they aren't very good for solo I guess I'll just play an Erudite Conjurer or Necromancer. I'm also considering a High Elf Warden or Fury.
  15. Stareintothevoid New Member

Well as seeing as how this topic gave me some ideas, I gave in a created an erudite necromancer. For now, I just want experience the game and see what there is to everquest 2. So far I like what I see. EQ2 gives me a Dungeons and Dragons vibe, were as WoW gives me a marvel/dc/anime feel to it. If I like this game enough from finally being able to play it, I will probably buy the new expansion.
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  16. Malchore Active Member

Good for you. Erudite is the perfect race for any pet class.

But in all seriousness, Halfling really is the perfect race for other people to play. They are short and stout and make the perfect punt targets. LOL! Oh man, the memories I have of punting halflings half-way across a dungeon and land in the middle of a bunch of lizard things, and have them look at me like, "Who Da'Fuq is dat? Get 'em!!!" and come charging at us me while I sling some arrows in their skull. Good times man, good times!
  17. Thand Well-Known Member

probly the easiest mage to solo is Conjuror with there stoneskins and high dps fire pet.
    also chose a race for the inates. Do you want waterbreath ? Track,? Glide? a Free once a day equipment repair?
  18. Stareintothevoid New Member

Really? Crap I now feel like I may want to switch. >_>
  19. Raff Well-Known Member

I'll second the Pally as great solo toon. Heals, cures and even a revive plus a ton of aoe's and a decent palette of stuns. I generally only play humans and elves though.
  20. Veta Well-Known Member

Stoneskins do not sustain life and compared to dps the necro is just as good. The necromancer has for more survivability abilities than a conjuror. Lifetap at max reuse has a 4 second cooldown and heals for significant amounts alone. You can also transfer your own life to yourself or any target that can also heal for a decent amount. Mercs are definitely not reliable for healing on most content, at that point it will depend a lot on your ability to survive. Our stoneskins are from AAs if you count the group and I forget what level the self stoneskin comes from. At max reuse they have over a minute reuse for a total of 6+triggers depending on how you setup your AAs. My character started out as a necro back in 07 I have only been a conj for a year and a half. I almost cried when I betrayed because I could no longer solo what I was previously able to. At that point it just became blow it up before I die or hope for the best.

Necromancer is by far the best for beginners and solo play out of any class.