Unable to download-socket error

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Jelyk, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Jelyk New Member

I started getting this error last night. The strange thing is I played the game Friday morning but could not log in Friday night. I see others have had this problem in the past. I reset my router and modem twice and deleted the cache file to no avail. I even tried reinstalling and the process just stops after a few files are d/ld. I am also unable to get on the forums on my pc. I am posting this through my phone (and not going through my Wifi). Any ideas?
  2. Velkai New Member

I'm not sure if it is related but a lot of us are having a similar problem in the "Having problems logging into certain zones." thread. A bunch of us on the EC using Comcast were playing Friday morning but got kicked off and could no longer log in. I can no longer access the main everquest 2 page but I can access the forums directly. I wish I had some way to fix it but this is more of a, "You are no alone in this problem." post.
  3. Jelyk New Member

Thats really strange...I can get on the EQ2 page but not the forums..I am on the East Coast too so maybe it is related
  4. TSR-SeanF Member

The issue you are currently experiencing may be the result of several different issues. Please refer for the following list for some steps to try and issues to look for:

1. Bloat Ware: In these cases, a semi-malicious program (or group of programs) may be preventing the launch pad from connecting. To fix this, you will need to remove said bloat ware program in order to connect. Some common software to look for is:

• Browser Safeguard
    • Browser Infrastructure Helper
    • Search Protect
    • Browser Defender

2. Resetting Internet Options:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Click the Advanced Tab. On the Advanced Tab Afterward click Reset > Delete Personal Settings > and click Ok. Then go back on the Internet Options and on the advanced tab, scroll down to Security and un-check "Check Server Certificate Revocation" and "Do Not Save Encrypted Pages to Disk" then click on Ok.

3. Windows Proxy Settings: Please review the following article: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28400

4. Clearing LP4 Cache Settings: You can clear the LP4 cache by going to the game's folder and finding the launchpad.libs folder. From there, delete the launchpad.cache folder and try accessing the game once again.

5. Anti-Virus / Firewall Software: It is not advisable to fully disable AV/FW software, so please add exceptions to allow the game through their filters.

Answer Title: Firewall Troubleshooting - Exception List for Windows
    Answer Link: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37058

Answer Title: Firewall Information
    Answer Link: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7515

6. Client Reinstallation: This is a last ditch effort - as I’m sure you know, reinstalling takes time and can be inconvenient. In some rare cases, however, reinstalling the client will fix a Socket Error.

If you have any other questions or run into any other issues with this please let us know!
  5. Jelyk New Member

The issue was fixed on Sunday. It appears I was one of the unlucky Comcast customers. Everything is working ok now.