Two new players, need some suggestions for leveling!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wolfsorax, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Wolfsorax New Member

I have returned from a 6 year , maybe 7 hiatus and leveled up a coercer to 26. It didn't take me long to realize the importance of having a mercenary, and oh my goodness it made a huge difference.

So my friend is going to be giving the game a shot, and I will be making a new character to level with him as well. Since I do not want him to get discouraged from not having a merc.

What are some good combos for us to both level up with? And I dont remember if there were dungeons or not, but if he decides he likes it and buys a mercenary, are we able to have a "4 man group" essentially? And does having a mercenary nerf experience?

Thanks for taking your time, and I'm looking forward to suggestions!
  2. WafflesnCyanide Member

The mercenaries will take a small portion of your experience. But it isnt noticeable enough (in my experience) to cause problems levelling.

As far as levelling together, as long as you vary archetypes and/or synergize (Healer/Tank Scout/Mage) try and get classes that buff each other. That would help a bit. Mostly any two classes together would be fine as long as you take appropriate mercenaries.

There aren't "Dungeons" perse as in WoW style dungeons, but there are Zones where you can go and level through, there is a list of all dungeon zones by level here: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeon_Timeline

there is also the Golden Path of leveling by quest which you can read about here:
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/The_Golden_Path

And finally here is a list of overland zones by level, so if you want to veer off the path you may:
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Soloing_Timeline
  3. Wolfsorax New Member

Thanks so much for those links, those are actually pretty helpful. I remember there were not actually "WoW Dungeons" But I guess with the small low level population nowadays they might as well be. But anyways I have one quick question, in that Golden Path link, it mentions The Legend of Robert Goldie questline. Are those designed to give you a lot of experience? If it's not a lot of trouble to ask, i was just curious about that. Thank you again for the quick response!
  4. Tinkerbe Active Member

I like to base my characters in Kelethin and start doing the 4 academy quest (fighter, mage, healer, rogue) starting at level 10. For the most part the quests they assign go along with the golden path. Besides getting extra experience from the quests you get status.
  5. Majesty Active Member

They did an update awhile back that mercenaries no longer steal any experience. I love a tank /healer combo for friend gaming. I find it a bit easier once you get to the end advanced solo zones where you can only have two characters in there. You at least can drop your mercenary's and still enjoy all the other zones with them.

Welcome back :)
  6. Tinkerbe Active Member

I tested it last week and a merc was taking around 30 percent of the exp. You make up for it by killing and questing much faster.
    Morfydd likes this.
  7. WafflesnCyanide Member

T

the Robert Goldie quests aren't designed to give you a ton of experience, they are intended to breadcrumb you along a quest path. Starting City->Butcherblock->Steamfont->Lavastorm->Sinking Sands->Tenebrous Tangle->Kylong Plains

That is intended to get you to level 85, then after that you do Great Divide and then Cobalt Scar (Or just Skyshrine grind from 90-95, much faster if you can find the group)
  8. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

One of you play a healer, the other play a tank and then you'll always win.

Meaghan's recommended heroic progression:

Wailing Caves > Stormhold > Ruins of Varsoon > Obelisk of Lost Souls > Permafrost > Solusek's Eye(Get the Dragon Language Quest first) > Clefts of Rujark > Sanctum of the Scaleborn > Den of the Devourer > Halls of Fate > Sebilis > The Hole > Skyshrine
  9. beagley Well-Known Member

They did but note that it was a bugfix that stopped mercs "stealing" ALL the experience. They still do take some experience after that bug fix as stated above so it you are expecting them to take no xp you're going to be disappointed. On the bright side though, they no longer take any coin.
  10. Rotherian Well-Known Member

As beagley noted, while they no longer steal experience, they still take a share of it.

To put it in food terms*, they still take a bite, they just don't eat the whole durn thing. :)

* Because I'm hungry. ;)
  11. Charlice Well-Known Member

You don't need to roll a new toon if you'd prefer not to. You could mentor him. If it still works the same, he'll get a tad extra xp that way and will catch up to you in no time.

For combinations, I'd forget about optimal combo's and just go with what you like playing, and just make it work.
  12. Occam Well-Known Member

This.
    While the tank/healer combo is probably the "best" in terms of ease, you can have a hell of a lot of fun with just about any two classes. Necro/Conj duo can do almost anything the tank/healer combo can, and much quicker as well! :)