Trick-or-Treating gone?

Discussion in 'Quests and Live Events' started by ARCHIVED-Malabaster, Oct 14, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Malabaster Guest

I just went to Freeport to trick-or-treat, but to my surprise the Gigglegibber Trick-or-Treater was not there. People tell me that it was replaced by the Ghost Hunter competition. Why not have both? Am I the only one upset by this?
  2. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

personally, I love the ghost thing 100000000000x better then the trick or treating. I hated that my prize was based on complete randomness of what the NPC gave me. I coudl hit up every npc and every single one could give me a treat, but still not get the best prize if a bunch of them gave me the 'wrong' candy.
    at least with the ghost hunting, if I catch say 101 ghosts, I get a huge prize every time. not 'sometimes a huge, and sometimes a big because 7 of the ghosts don't count' thing.
  3. ARCHIVED-Kreton Guest

Trick or treating had it's own little flavor and brought something different to the table. Yes you had RNG involved, but I liked it a whole lot better than the new version of the candy cane race game we got in this ghost hunting thing. I didn't find the ghosthunting game very engaging with just running over floating skulls all clustered in an area, but it obviously is easier for someone to get the rewards from it and then move on.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kaitheel Guest

The city revamps were the perfect opportunity to change out both the NotD trick-or-treating, and the Frostfell Candy Cane Grab 'n Tag contests that were in Freeport and Qeynos for something new. As good as they were, they were unfortunately (and quite drastically) broken by the city revamps; scripts, zone geometry, and quest supporting population.
    I chose to use the necessary time to add something new, instead of fixing something that has been in game since 2006.
    The Ghost Hunter contests, and the Frostfell Candy Grab in Commonlands and Antonica (introduced in 2011) may not be for everyone, but I've certainly been glad to see so many people enjoying them!
    ~Kaitheel
  5. ARCHIVED-Kreton Guest

You're right that it's not for me, but I am certainly glad you did take the time to add something in it's place rather than just remove a feature and have no way to get those rewards. The one thing I thought the trick or treating thing did was force you to explore all the corners of the city (depending on how far you could get in the time limit) that you normally never bother to go through the rest of the area, in search for that cluster of npc's to get more candy. And I also liked that it wasn't just simply show up and get the best reward. I think it added something different. Perhaps next year you might could bring a revamped version back with some twisted tricks, I always thought the "tricks" the npcs would give you were pretty tame.
  6. ARCHIVED-SquirrelBait Guest

I'd like to just chime in and add my support for the Trick-or-Treating. I thought it was a far more enjoyable mini-game than the Ghost Gathering.
    With the city revamps, I was looking forward to being able to Trick-or-Treat in the whole city without having to zone.
    I'm sad to see it go.