Transmuting leveling?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-decator666, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-decator666 Guest

Is there something I'm missing with transmuting...? I cannot get high enough level to work this skill as I don't get enough low level drops to even level 1 character past like 8. I have checked the auction and find that anything below level 8 is about 10 or more plat which is more money than I have.
    I created a couple of characters just to pass down their tradeable items but that still wasn't enough to get the ball rolling on skill gains on this...
    Any tips on this?
    Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

You can transmute - most - Mastercrafted items. T1 rares are usualy cheap on broker or you can harvest them yourself if you're really poor.
  3. ARCHIVED-Gealaen_Gaiamancer Guest

I usually work transmute skill up on each alt as I play them, and I make sure I level lock early to both clear off all current quests and so that I can keep getting low level muteables. If you haven't already done all of the lower level quests that reward Treasured gear, they're quick and easy. Other options are buying low level Treasured, or low level tradeskill rares to make MasterCrafted items like Ragnaphore suggested. I've done both of those with toons that were already higher level when I decided to start transmuting with them, and any of those options work.
  4. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

I just leveled up transmuting on one of my older characters I'd been neglecting it on since back when Transmuting was partly what adorning is now.
    She got to start from the base skill & needed to get it leveled up so she could transmute stuff her level (53) at least.
    I didn't want to spend money on it so the way I did it was chronomentor her down to lvl 5 & just mass slaughtered things (especially named) in newbie zones until I could transmute up to the next level range, then I went back to town & rementored to level 10 & repeated in a different zone where higher level things dropped. In the process I got a level and a few aa. This method did take me 2 evenings with poor luck at drops (I should have gone to Darklight Wood, seem to have better luck with drops there at low level) but I did enjoy it.
    She did start out with a bit of a bonus (once I remembered it which took me getting above 100 in muting) since she's a crafter & has the harvesting cloak (+25 to transmuting).

Some things you can get that will boost transmuting skill:
    cloak of the harvester gives +25 have to be high enough to harvest in Kunark.
    horse from butcherblock crafter quest line gives +9.5
    all the horses bought from the Far Seas Supply merchant on Mara will give various amounts to transmuting, the pack unicorn giving the most with +47.5
    The belts you can buy on the far seas merchant also have +5 transmuting.
  5. ARCHIVED-decator666 Guest

Thanks so much for those tips. I haven't done the chromo thing but i will look into that..and...I didn't know you could transmute mastercrafted items...I thought all crafted items were not transmuteable. I have a fairly high level tailor and weaponsmith...I will just make some low things to transmute also.
    It's a good business to farm low level items and sell them on the auction as they go for many plats...
    I will work tonight on getting up to 50 or so because my bank is getting full of higher level gear to transmute hehe.
  6. ARCHIVED-yohann koldheart Guest

chrono to the lowest you can and hit dlw, i got 47 mutable items in 2 hours doing that.
  7. ARCHIVED-Zivgar Guest

I chrono'ed to lvl 5 and would do a couple of the newbie zone quest lines while I killed the mobs in the zone. If you are unlucky it can take you some time or as quick as a couple hours.
    Also there once you are able to transmute level 10 items there is a named in TD that respawns very quickly, that I would farm for items. Name is Assault Captain Phezzryn.
    I do have a thread about having Handcrafted items transmutable. It is a pretty long thread, but how the game is today I think having handcrafted items transmutable would help this early transmuting phase that gives some people with not a lot of money that likes to craft another way to get skill ups. I won't get into it much here and would like other people to not comment about it that much on this thread and do it on the one I started, since this tread is about the ways to do it that are currently in the game.
    I digress, the ideas in this thread are pretty good, so that would help getting those points of if you don't want to buy the items on the broker.
  8. ARCHIVED-Raienya Guest

Chrono down and hit every starting zone you can. If you haven't done the quest lines in them, you will have more stuff to transmute than you have bag space.
    I chrono'd down and hit Timorous Deep, Darklight Wood (caveat if you are not evil, there are a few pathing guards that will one-shot you), Greater Faydark (same caveat for evil folks), and New Halas.
    Then, just work your way upwards through the lvl 20, 30, 40 zones etc.
  9. ARCHIVED-decator666 Guest

I got my skill up to about 60 last night crafting mastercrafted items and transmuting those and using my horse that gives me 9.5 to transmuting. (I didn't even notice that buff on him)...
    Thanks so much for the tips. Once I get to level 20 items it will be even easier as there are many more mastercrafts at that level. I agree you should be able to transmute regular crafted items plus it would give crafters a better source of income as I noticed selling my crafted stuff seems a waste of time thus far. Even bags are cheaper than the ingredients to make them on the auction...
    I will Chromo down once I get totally stuck and try those instances. I have no problems with named on my level so I am getting a big collection of 40s and 50s stuff to transmute. Now that I cleaned out a bag of 1-15 stuff that really helps my bank space.
  10. ARCHIVED-Zivgar Guest

When you get around lvl 20 transmuting skill Stormhold is a great place. Lots of names and the books in the library will drop a teasured wand everytime.
  11. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

In Ye Olde Days, I sent out my best harvester to Timorous Deep and harvest my hiney off for rares, then crafted all the rares into transmutable items. Journeyman spell scrolls gave me the best crushing returns. You can craft grey level 1 adornments to level all the way up.
    Now, if you go to the crafting society in your home city, there is a transmuting/adorning mission-giver. Do his mission each day, he provides all the materials.
  12. ARCHIVED-Caela Guest

To get past being able to squish lvl 10 items takes some work. Especially if you are just starting out in the game and don't have high level toons to help you.
    I recently went to Oakmyst Forest, mentored to 10 and blew stuff up. The mobs there did drop things lower than lvl 10, but in my experience, not many newbie areas have drops below lvl 10. I also bought off the broker, but only if it cost less than 7 gold each - I've never seen prices in the plat range. But harvesting T1 rares and making master crafted items is a good idea, and probably the only way a brand new player without higher toons will be able to do it. Either that, or wait until you can get the harvesting cloak and the pony from the crafting quests to boost your transmuting high enough to squish lvl 10 items. You can also do the newbie quests and get the gear and squish it.
    Once you get past that lvl 10 hurdle it gets much easier. I've also had every toon save every heirloom and tradable item - so I have bags and bags of stuff from about lvl 30+. I probably should go into Stormhold and get some lvl 20ish stuff to squish.
  13. ARCHIVED-Boethius_Permafrost Guest

I find the gap from 5 to 10, combined with the ease of leveling for new characters to be a very small but difficult to cross gap which requires a little knowledge of the game to get past, thus making transmuting impractical for new players. If the starting skill were 25 for new characters, or if skill 1 were sufficient to transmute anything up to level 10 items, then that would make it a lot easier to skillup in regular play.
    Granted, it's not a big hassle if you know the work-arounds, but again, experienced players don't need the help.
  14. ARCHIVED-Tiny_Wannabe Guest

I chrono'd down to 5 and now can't get the chronomage to open up so i can chrono up to 10 what's up? Please don't tell me i have to get up to 20 again sigh.
  15. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

No, you won't have to level up to 20 again. You just need to unmentor before you can mentor again. Type in /unmentor and you will go right back to your normal level.
  16. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Zivgar wrote:
    also take note that once you exit stormhold through the libary back door you can directly enter the libary from the coast in antonica.
    also regarding leveling transmuting there is equipment you can use that will boost your skill for example on the isle of mara you can get a horse that will increase your harvesting and transmuting skills way higher then then basic +10 one (the description may say 9.5 but it is 10)
    Finora@Everfrost wrote:
    using this advice i suggest you run around qeynos before the revamp there are a few quests around that give low level tradable quest rewards that is how i started up my transmuting.