Transmuter slag - Why is one char getting and other not?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Rath253, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Rath253 New Member

I have 2 characters with transmuting skill, one just a beginner and she finds transmuting slag quite often. The other has a high transmuting skill and has never found transmuter slag. Why?
  2. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Do you mean refining ? I've never had "slag" as a result of transmuting. Are you sure you're comparing the same thing across your two chars ?
  3. Gharyn Well-Known Member

You are confusing transmuting and salvaging. Transmuting returns powders, shards, infusions and mana for making adornments. Salvaging returns slag with an extremely small chance of a rare harvest and an infinitesimal chance of a transcendant quintessence.
    Xianthia likes this.
  4. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Salvaging converts gear into harvesting raws and rares depending on the gear's quality, player's skills and the RNG
    Refining converts rares into purified rares or slag, depending on the RNG.

Whilst Salvaging and Refining are from the same AA tree, they are two distinct skills.
  5. Gharyn Well-Known Member

Oops, got my refining and salvaging tangled up. That's what I get for posting when tired. :>

To clarify:

Refining of common harvests returns slag with an extremely small chance of a rare harvest. (not sure if you can get a quintessence from commons, never seen one personally)

Refining of rare harvests returns purified rares or slag. (about 50/50 chance)

Salvaging of armor, weapons and jewelry returns a rare, a stack of common harvests, slag or an extremely small chance of a transcendant quintessence.
  6. Meirril Well-Known Member

Refining can return a Quint? I thought that was 96+ salvage only?
    Mermut likes this.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Correct, quints (and rares and commons) are from salvaging, refined rares (and slag) are from refining and adorning materials are from transmuting.