Tradeskill guide for complete beginner

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Drona, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Drona Well-Known Member

In all my 14 years of playing EQ2, I never thought I will post in the trade skill section but here I am :)

I want to level trade skill simply to meet the Epic 2.0 requirement. What is the best trade skill to level so that its fast and painless as possible please? Any guides/tips for complete beginner who has never done Tradeskill before but now forced to? What I should do and what I should not do etc? I have no idea who to even begin!

I am not doing this for pleasure but I have to so I can do with all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance!
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I personally have found that leveling my carpenters and woodworkers are the fastest and easiest. But its probably a personal preference thing.

As for suggestions, I would go to Mara first thing and get Qho's quest line this will end with you getting the pack pony. Might as well since you will be harvesting for materials to craft with anyway.

Cyrrena
    Drona, Xillean and Prissetta like this.
  3. Anhari Active Member

Don't forget to do the tradeskill tutorial's in your city crafting society. While a bit trivial for an experienced adventurer, they will yield your level 1-7 books and your artisan's tunic (+5 to tradeskills),

Note that you will either need to harvest, or buy/trade for materials off the broker, or be in a guild that has access to the harvest/fuel depots in order to craft up to Epic 2.0 levels. (easiest is guild halls).

If no access to GH's then be ready to do mind numbing harvesting in all of the zones to build up your materials no matter what profession you choose to skill up.

BTW, of profession doesn't matter, skill up on Provisioner. Everyone likes to eat and you get the best number of harvests (variety) per node, and you can make some really nice stat foods/drinks for guildies/sale on broker.
    Drona likes this.
  4. Xillean Well-Known Member

I favor Sage myself but im a bit biased since most of my toons are sages. I agree with Cyrrena that woodworking and carpenter are pretty fast adn easy.

I think Provisioner as Anhari said would be a solid choice if you have any interest whatsoever in making a bit of coin and are willing to craft food since you have to tradeskill anyways, but for me at least that was the most tedious profession to level and definitely didn't strike me as fast.
    Drona likes this.
  5. semisus Does not play this game

Well if you are starting fom start you have to get lvl 20 to do tradeskill rush order after that it will go quicker to lvl , i think at 15 you can start the work orders so do those until 20
    remeber to either claim from vet reward the hammer of adept hands or buy it under loyality in marketplace it resets your tradeskill vitality.
    Be sure to spend your tradeskill aas you get as well since it will make it go alot faster , and put racial points into whatever tradeskill stuff that benefits you , after your done crafting you can always reset this.
    If you dont have a guild hall you can craft you can do writs in your home , buy the grandmaster summong scrolls of the broker
    They are cheap and summons a rush order minion that last 30 mins
    buy a personal harvest depot and fuel depot from the broker , get the materials and put em in your depot
    be sure to get the normal books so u have those as you lvl along
    You dont need to go harvesting at all if you so chooses as you can buy everything from broker.
    At 95 go tranquil sea/phantom sea and do the tradeskill quests there to lvl 100
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. Drona Well-Known Member

Thanks all for you advice. I am going to give this a go today so wish me luck!
    Xillean and Prissetta like this.
  7. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to compile a "quick leveling guide" for those who {cough} don't care about tradeskills, but need to level them for XYZ reason, but there's been so much on my plate that it just haven't happened.

Make sure to do the daily tinkering, transmuting, adorning tasks from Londiar in any home crafting society. Those three very quick and easy (you provide fuel, the npc provides materials you unpack then craft with) quests are very good for chunks of crafting experience. (Specifically for these daily combines, you can cancel the combine after the first progress bar is completed for even faster finishing of the quests.)

I'll see about roughing out my planned guide later today, energy willing. There are spots where you really want to be questing as opposed to writ-running, such as at level 95 when things start to sludge.

~Mum
    Faeonara, Drona and Rosyposy like this.
  8. Drona Well-Known Member

Please please do this! Assume no prior knowledge of anything! Pretend the game is being released now and you got your info from playing in the beta!

Apparently my character was already level 4 artisan (I think I got hacked!) so anyway I went into my GH and they had all the crafting stations and some vendors. I clicked on a crafting station and it poped up with the recipe list. I clicked on a recipe and to my surprise I had all the raw materials expect "fuel". So I bought fuel and started crafting. There were these "events" and I clicked on matching crafting spell icons and it worked! Anyway I got to level 10 artisan!

It also reminded my why I never liked trade skills! When fighting a mob, I am not sitting there waiting for events to respond. Regardless of what the mob is doing, I am spamming spells. If I get bored, I can pull lots of mobs and kill stuff. I am in control of the process. With crafting, I hate this waiting and lack of control from myself. Also I hate staring at the small crafting window.

Is this how the crafting process goes for all of you guys who love it? How can I make the whole process more active so that i don't have to wait and speed up or down the process to my liking? In other words, I want to be in control.

I want to enjoy the crafting side but the way things are going, I am not so sure!

thanks
  9. Sinhika Well-Known Member

- Definitely do the TS quests. They are less boring than banging out writs. A lot of them are fun, the first time, and this is the first time for you. You can skip the mount quests if you already have adventure mounts, but the TS mount quests do grant you TS xp, and (usually) different skins for your mounts than the adventure mounts have. However, given that you probably don't care about advanced TS recipes, because you're just trying to get to level 100 for that ONE combine, feel free to skip the daily faction quests in Kunark and Sentinel's Fate. They are only for earning the faction to buy advanced recipe books and furniture.

- Also, IMHO, if you are just trying to get levels as fast as possible, I'd suggest Alchemist/Jeweler/Sage -- as far as I know, all the writ recipes for them are "fast" combines, whereas Woodworkers can get stuck with arrows ("Slow" combines), and ALL of provisioner's combines are "Slow". Tailors also have a few "slow" combines that can end up in writs. Armorer/Weaponsmith/Carpenter might be okay, as far as that goes. "Slow" combines vs "Fast" combines don't matter much when you are just doing a few combines here and there, but when you are chaining non-stop crafting writs, "slow" combines get really irritating.

- DO allocate your TS AAs as soon as you get them (10-20 TS level range), because having improved success/progress/durability chances make combines go much faster and less frustratingly.

- DO allocate your level 90+ TS Prestige AAs as soon as you get them, for the same reasons. Also harvestable node tracking and gathering goblin come in from that.

- IF you are going to be doing your own harvesting, consider doing the "Gathering Obsession" line of tradeskill quests. They are all about the harvesting, and feature rewards of a nice +harvesting cloak, a harvest-gathering pony pet, an advanced version of the harvest pony, and a really annoying kid in a pink shirt as a monk mercenary.

- DO put together a "crafting outfit" set consisting of your initial crafting shirt (eventually replaced with Othmir Shell Armor), the crafting cloaks you get along the way, Coldain Prayer Shawl (when you get it), any and all tinkered crafting tools you can acquire, any Far Seas crafting jewelry you acquire, etc. It will greatly improve your crafting chances and speed up those combines.

- DON'T forget to talk to the Crafting Trainer at level 9 and level 19 for your next craft specialization and free boost to level 10 & 20, respectively.

- ETA: About being in control--pay attention to when the Training Tutorial guy (please do his/her quests) talks about 'compensations'. Those buttons at the bottom of your TS window let you speed up / control your combine to some degree, and they help you avoid setbacks.
    Drona and Prissetta like this.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You can use the counters for events whether an event occurs or not, one set of the counters increases durability and the other set of counters increases progress.

I have trouble grinding and would never make any progress if I sat and waited for an event to occur before poking a button.

Cyrrena
    Drona and Prissetta like this.
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Also, Den Mum, please, please, please, for the love of the Gods, please, let me know and I will help you in whatever way I can.

Cyrrena
  12. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Well, those 6 little buttons down at the bottom are your friends. You'll note they come in sets of 3, and that they have different results. The ones with the same icons are tied to the same cooldown, so you can have 1 of each type pressed within any single pulse. When you're low level, you'll probably want to focus most on the +durability ones, and once you're higher, you'll find a mix that works best for you.

To speed things up, you press 2-3 every single round. React to anything that happens, yes, but then press the others for extra boosts to speed things up. (The reason I say 2-3 is because not every new crafter has the power regen pool to do the one that costs power every single round, and you want a bit of power left over for when you have to use the power-consuming button to react to an event.) Some people use the same 3 over and over, others vary it based on whether they are trying for more progress or more durability (or a mix).

On a separate tack, when you are 9, and then again when you are 19, you can bypass crafting through the level and speak directly to the crafting trainer to choose your specialization.

I really WILL work on the how-to this weekend, complete with links to the appropriate quest guides etc., but today ... well, let's just say I'm having a bad pain day and leave it at that. Coherent words are hard, very hard and I think I just used up my quota.

~Mum
    Cyrrena, Drona and Prissetta like this.
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

I hope you feel better.
  14. Sinhika Well-Known Member

ProTip (you probably already know this one, Mum): invest in a stack of power regen totems, set on auto-consume. They greatly increase your out-of-combat power regen, and crafting is "out of combat". I find with the totems running, I have NO problem using all 3 counters without running out of power. Fat-fingering the keys is an entirely different problem...
    Cyrrena and Prissetta like this.
  15. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Having a Mindbender (Coercer) merc up also keeps one from running out of power while crafting...
    Cyrrena and Xillean like this.
  16. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Woodworker is the fastest. It has less item finding combines then the other trades. At level 71, they are all much easier because the rush orders go to two items, three each. Woodworkers get more of these types of orders at lower levels though.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  17. Drona Well-Known Member

Been away for couple days so didn't have chance to look here but thanks all once again for your tips!

I kind of feel stupid for waiting for events and responding rather than using pro actively using the seplls! I will give this a go and see how I get on !
    Cyrrena and Prissetta like this.
  18. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad... I did it that way for several years! It really does make a difference when you use three counters each time.
    Drona likes this.
  19. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I just have a compulsion to touch things and poke buttons and look at everything I can even if I have seen it a thousand times. I have primary progressive MS and this is what has caused me to have to poke a button or I cannot grind.

It also gave me vertigo and obsessive/compulsive behaviours regarding dust, dirt, and pine needles, and there are 2 very large pine trees in the yard where I live, its a constant battle to not run out and clean up all the pine needles. Ask the hubby, he detests the Obsessive/Compulsive things but I cannot stop them, so he just has to deal.

Cyrrena
    Drona, Vulnere, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Also, hover over the spells and see what they do. The ones that say decreases success chance, avoid those two for harder recipes, unless the game makes you hit it. If the game makes you hit it, spam the other two in the beginning that do not decrease success chance, if you start to lose the item.
    you can drag and drop and change the order of the spells.
    I keep the first 3, make sure the first says no decreases, the second decreases progress, third decreases success chance.
    Next three I set up same - no decrease, decreases durability, decrease success chance.
    So for a hard, or when you are doing the newbie quest lines and you are level 10, and the recipe is level 15,
    then you can spam - 4 and 5, then 1, and keep going like that, if it makes you hit 3 or 6, choose 3, and then spam 1 and 2, then hit 4 to bring progress back. This is for pre level 20 and any hard recipes you may use later.
    Unfortunately the game may want you to hit 3 or 6 too many times to save the item. This is very rare, but it can happen.