Torden, Bastion of Thunder: Winds of Change [Solo]

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by beastlordius, Dec 7, 2017.

1. beastlordius New Member

Longtime player and forum lurker here.. felt I had to post because in all my years playing this game I've never felt an encounter to be this broken.

The last fight, Torstien Stoneskin and Hreidar Lynhillig cannot be beaten in it's current state:

I am a beastlord playing solo, with pet and 10 yr vet merc out (Lady Liae). I keep reading that I need to separate the 2 but that simply never happens and I cannot for the life of me figure out how I as a beastlord am supposed to defeat this encounter. As soon as red stuff on floor is down (which I might add is a ridiculous range, its seemingly everywhere) we all die. I bought this expack with hopes of revisiting Sol Ro (also longtime eq1 player) and I can't even get there because I've been stuck on this encounter for what seems like forever. The mender guy in valor loves me. Please help. I have no way of rooting, snaring, etc. Can the damage or range of red stuff be tuned down so this can actually be defeated. I don't mind a challenge but this doesn't seem like one. It just feels broken.
  2. beastlordius New Member

you can delete this post. i somehow beat it by just focusing everything and the kitchen sink on one of them then the other you just beat down like normal. I think I actually beat it with dps stance on too which gives less protection. Maybe part of it is RNG and you just have to wait till the red stuff doesnt hit you "that hard" i dont know but what I do know is that it took way too many attempts.
    Grouse likes this.
  3. Grouse Active Member

You give me hope, as my Necromancer is having a problem there.

I tried the idea of focusing on one, but the first red dot got my merc at the same time we got the first one into his kneeling position. Unfortunately, the red returned a bit later and my healing potions weren't enough to get me through it.

What is interesting is the fact that the kneeling one follows me around, removing any chance of separating them for the second red floor attack.

I'll head back tomorrow to see if I can squeeze by. Clues on strategies would be appreciated.
  4. maxximum Active Member

What's your necro's potency and hp without the fount buff?
  5. Mathafern Well-Known Member

As a clue- I doubt the red floor thing is killing you.
    Something as simple as changing your chat filters may help you tremendously.
  6. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I've beaten them on alts without much good gear a few times now. I run right up to them, kill them in alphabetical order. The first guy kneels (for me he stays there though)... and then I pull the second one away a bit... red circle... abandon everything and run like there's no tomorrow toward the bridge.

I noticed I got caught in the red circle on the bridge, but the nature of the bridge kept me safe, the red circle seems 2D in the solo. Which is probably why the size of it hasn't been changed, I assume that the bridge is supposed to be used that way.

My merc stays passive. I haven't played it with a pet yet. I"d probably let the pet die once and use either the instant resurrect or the "pocket" to get another after the red circle is gone. But I assume you're doing that already. The merc has such tiny damage that I don't use it much for DPS. The time between seeing the circle and the blast is long enough to run out, barely. Note that you can move and cast ascension skills simultaneously.
  7. Grouse Active Member

Sorry for not responding sooner. RealLife(tm) interfered with game time this week.

Health: 6,330,452
    Power: 354,577
    Potency: 36,557.3
    Resolve: 347

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/463858838302
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  8. maxximum Active Member

You're not really ready for solos yet. Items you'll need asap are off-hand from doing all 3 factions, epic 2.0 and tome. The epic takes effort, and the tome takes time and I understand if you want to get other stuff in solos as well, but it's going to be a struggle with your current gear. I would upgrade anything you can to mastercrafted, depending on how much plat you have, and run every PQ you can for the 29 and 35 resolve wrist gear, as well as the pq rewards which are all an upgrade for you right now. I run the solos a lot on 3 toons so if I'm around you can tag along and I'll take all the transmuting stones and any fabled that drop, and you can take the shinies and all the rest of the loot, and you'll get a lot of zones done very quickly.
  9. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, when the red goes down on the floor, one boss will kneel or stand still, and the other one comes after you. Be sure to run away from the static boss as far as you can and DPS on the active one. That's the only time you need to "separate them" and it's easy once you realize that one doesn't move and you just need to kite the other one away.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  10. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Taking a look at your adornments, I think that's the problem. Have you done the panda quest? Once complete, you get a nice buff from a set of 4 white adorns, including a small fervor buff. There are also 4 ears/wrist orange adorns and several more flexible ones. If that's all you have then equip those.

But also your white adorns are not optional. The buffs you get from it add up. Look for Intelligence adorns and look into how much you'd have to do to get just a few PG adorns. Level 1 is better than nothing, especially in the Ability Mod slots.

Your green adorns should be at least Stygian Spirit Stones. Preferably Et'Kalysh, and Warslik or Lachina for the neck.

You could be eating better food too, Stormborn Souffle and Monsoon should be affordable now.

In AA's, you should pick up Scaled Protection and Spellbind from the Dragon tree.

In Necromancer Prestige, you didn't take Unda Spiritus which is a huge damper on your DPS. You could also max out Enhanced Vigor in there. It's easy to max out crit bonus, so you can pull those points out of there for now, until you've got lots of CB overcap. The cap is 4k or a bit above that now, last I heard it was 4150.

You should buy some Twark potions of Prowess and use them even for solos, they're not that expensive.The thorns potion from Thallumbra can really help mages because you can't riposte if you didn't take the AA to get parry, and even then the riposte is minimal in comparison. For some reason the, Twark potion of thorns. has very small damage in comparison.

I can't see your mount from eq2u but I suspect that's where you're missing some health.

Give your merc the armor you got for free from Tishan (you can get a second copy of them), and once you have faction with someone, buy their accolades for your merc.

Couple of notes that should be obvious but who knows? There is a broadcast message now about "commit your AA's" and it can happen that you're in a zone and suddenly you feel like you're not doing any damage. Either your Fount buff turned off mysteriously or you have to check AAs between battles and make sure the commit button is NOT active. If you can click it, then you have to click the button next to it, re-save... then cast all your "until cancelled" buffs, recast your pet, etc.. and when ready, fight again.. After the next fight check the AAs again, I've had to do this multiple times in solo zones lately.

I try to get my alts to around 10 million health with quested and free gear, or close. I don't think you need to invest in very long questlines to qualify for solos. But all the other ducks need to be in a row. And unfortunately there is a large quantity of ducks to get in order.

This is my alt Zaffra on Test: http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/429497512670 She finished the signature quest and her stats are similar to yours. Only thing she couldn't do is kill the Avatar of the Sun before Sol Ro returned and killed her. But that's optional. She has no alts on that server to make her things. But the guild she is in is very helpful. She is also missing a lot of gear, adorns, etc. But I was surprised at how well she did despite all that. She did seem to grow hugely in power from level 109 to 110. All the repeatables got her to 110 fairly quickly, though that server has an xp buff.

Not to worry, there's hope.
  11. Grouse Active Member

Wow! Thanks to all of you. I obviously need to do my homework, but these are great pointers to get me on the right path.