To be true to one's self - Dejenchri Seamstress - PvP server RP

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-Alycs, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Alycs Guest

For anyone on Venekor, this name might be familiar. She is a lvl 60 tailor/vl 42 Koada'Dal wizard. For the longest time, she was a dedicated crafter/harvester. She betrayed from Qeynos to Freeport a couple of months after it became available. So, if you wonder why there are three languages and no one can understand their enemy, it's because of the PvP thing. Please, let me know what you all think of it. And as I get more written, I'll post it. Chapter One: “Dej, where are you off to now?!” a young Stout girl with her hair swept up to both sides in jesters tails asks a seemingly younger Koada’Dal dressed in a pure white robe and carrying a staff of alder wood that fairly shouts of magic. “You KNOW your mother will be mad if you miss lessons with your instructors AGAIN!” The youngster turns from the window of a renowned tailor in Qeynos. “I know Fluffers. But…” and she stops and ponders. “My mother chose for me to be a Wizard. She could never master the energy that flows from each wizard.” She sighs too heavily for such a young child. For all that she is Koada’Dal, she is still but a child learning her way about the world. “Fluffye, all I’ve EVER wanted in Norrath was to create clothing like that.” And she points to a lovely creation on an Erudite woman. “I made my own clothes. Mother doesn’t know that. She belives that I hired a seamstress to make this for me. She gave me coin, told me where I needed to go purchase the materials for this. But this, “ and she smoothes her robes down, “This, I made for me. I’ve had to learn from the Clothespinners for if I tried to in Castleview, Mother would have found out.” The girl smiles. “I stop here on my way to the Mage Tower.” Fluffye frowns at her friend. “But, Dej…your mother is paying a hefty sum for you to learn at the Mage Tower. Tis your duty to learn magic, not making clothes and armor.” Dejen shakes her head. “Aye Fluff, I know. And I learn. Just not fast enough for Mother. As for the hefty sum…” and she lays a hand on her friends shoulder, “Tis not so hefty a sum. The good Sage has let Mother know that I have an ‘er, well, scholarship of sorts. He be not fibbing truly!” and she blushes as her friend scowls at her. “You’ve involved Sage Surion in your scheme? Dejenchri, how DARE you?!” Dejen hastens to comfort her friend. “NAY! Tis not like THAT! He tells Mother that I am studying, yet only a small amount of coin is needed. HE knows my wishes and having known Mother for a good many years, is willing to aid me in this. He chuckles every now and then. Tis not often someone can fool Mother.” The Stout looks somewhat mollified, yet still uncomfortable. “I’ll be going to class today, as I’ve been approved by the Clothespinners as an outfitter.” Fluffye bounces, as only someone in wizard robes can. “Really? You’re truly going to class with me?” Smiling, her friend clasps her shoulder, “Aye Fluffye, I am. Though, I still say you’re far better at this art than I am.” Grinning and being VERY un-Koada’Dal-like, she skips ahead of her friend. Looking over her shoulder, “Beat you to classes!” Shaking her head and giggling she races to catch up to her long-legged friend.
  2. ARCHIVED-Alycs Guest

Edited so hopefully easier to read? Chapter Two: Many moons after that last class together, Fluffye advances into other classes, whilst her friend continues at the Tower one day out of every two weeks. Dejenchri is learning what she needs to so she can control the talent that the venerable Surion saw in her. One evening, after a particularly long day of working for others, Dejenchri tiredly goes into the apartment she has shared with her mother for as long as she can remember. Though her mother tells her that Dejen herself was born within fair Felwithe, she doesn’t remember, being so young when Norrath was shattered. She leans her staff in the corner, having become a tall Koada’Dal, one of an age to think about looking for him that she can think about possibly wedding, possibly a dallience. It was not a thing Dejen truly thought of. Learning her trade was what consumed her now. Learning what materials were found where, and that occasion where something rare would come to her hand. One had been courting her, though. A Paladin, new come to Qeynos. He was seemingly serious, trying to talk her into seeing him on more than just a professional basis. Dejen chuckles to herself, remembering some of the missives he’d sent her. She’s brought out of her reverie when she realizes that her Mother is at home, and not out with her friends as was her wont this day. And, looking rather angry if Dejen were honest with herself, and Dejen tried to always be honest with herself. What dutiful child of Tunare wouldn’t want to be? But no, her mother is sitting at the elegant bone table they had by the planter, looking rather irate. Dejenchri smooths out her robes and stands tall. Mayanashim pulls herself even straighter in her chair, seeing in her child something she hadn’t seen before. Blaming only herself for allowing her only surviving child to not only associate, but spend a great deal of time in the environs of those filthy gnomes and slothful Halflings, she sighs. Wishing to herself Dejenchri would associate more with the Koada’Dal in the Hamlet. “You were not at the Tower today Dejenchri. I know. I stopped there to bring you some news about your future. I find…” and she pauses while Dejen has the good graces to look sheepish. “You find that I go to class there one day out of every two weeks Mother?” Dejen finishes her mothers sentence. Taken aback, Mayanashim looks at her daughter truly for the first time in over a decade. “You probably spoke with Sage Surion did you not?” “Aye, that I did. And I have found that you have been lying to me child. Why?” trying to seem stern once again, and not surprised at the chits audacity to be blunt. “Mother, tis naught about lying. I just haven’t been telling you the truth in the whole.” Her mother snorts, “Semantics child, semantics. What am I going to do with you? You have SO much talent. So much more than that…that hafling” and the word comes out more an epithet than a statement of fact, “friend of yours that has gone on to fight our enemy out in the lands!” Dejen looks at her mother, very familiar with how she feels about Tunare’s other creations in relation to Her Children the Koada’Dal. She sighs, “Mother, I fight with my best abilities. And those are the craft of my needle and of my loom.” Standing to her full height, a proud Koada’Dal in every respect, she looks her mother in her eyes. Mayanashim looks startled, wondering when her daughter became so tall. “I serve the Queen as best I can. She needs those of us who can create armor and clothes, dolls and shoes, gloves and helms. I can do those Mother! I love to do those! Thus, Her Majesty’s mages have cast spells upon me to keep me safe from those that would serve that foul creature Lucan d’Lere.” Dejen takes a step forward, bringing herself almost nose to nose with her Mother. “I am now an adult by Koada’Dal law. I choose to serve in my best way. This is it.” Her mother looked flustered for the first time in her memory. Mayanashim wondered just how long ago her baby HAD become an adult. She honestly did not remember. “Dejenchri, Dejen…tis not that I’m unhappy with what you are doing. Tis the fact that you used to love magic and learning to use it.” Her mother sighs, “I have only myself to blame for allowing you to play with children other than Koada’Dal children. But there were so few here. Tis unnatural to have Dal play with non-Dal. Moreso when it is that unnatural trio of Halflings.” Dejen sighs to herself. Seeing her mother start on another tirade, she went around the room, gathering what few things she could truly call HER own. She stops Mayanashim mid-sentence just as she was warming up on her usual Stouts are slothly and slovenly, Gnomes were the tools of Innoruuk and more. Even the Feir’Dal weren’t exempt from her mothers contempt. ”Mother. That trio is unsual in that they were birthed at the same time to a single mother. Stout’s do not have their children in litters like the Kerra do. Or even the Ratonga. Yet…those three shared the same womb. They might be too close for the comfort of others, but to me…they are naught but my friends. Their mother and father and their various family members have accepted me into their fold.” Mayanashim starts to speak again, Dejen holds her hand up. “Nay. No more. I wilt not stand her and allow you to try to make my life’s decisions for me. Fluffye, Muffye and Buffye have offered space in their apartment should I ever want it.” Her mother starts huffing at this, “AND…I’m taking them up on it. You do know where to find me should you need me. And no, I’ll not be turning to wizardy to support myself. I DO have clientele that I am seamstress to.” She turns abruptly, puts her pack over her shoulder and gathers her staff up before leaving the magical apartment. After the door shuts, she remembers her mothers stunned face and grins to herself. The Koada’Dal does something she usually only does in Baubbleshire, she skips down the stairs…to the amusment and bewilderment of Innkeeper Valean, whom was a studious man himself and shared many a book with her. Grinning to herself, she starts whistling a spritely tune she recently heard in the ‘Shire. Smiling, she summons a boat and waiting for the boatman she gets a gleam of mischief in her eye which he notices as he pulls up. The elder Halasian looks at her with laughter in his eyes. “Baubbleshire again Miss?” at Dejen’s nod, he helps her into the pole boat. “If’n ye don’t mind me commenting, ye be spending a lot of time there lately. An’ if me eyes misdoubt, ye not plannin’ on comin’ back ta here anytime soons.” Shaking her head, “Nay, tis time I be like a bird and fly to find my own nest now.” She looks sheepishly, “Uhm…my friends say I can stay with them…but uh..” and she hesitates for this is a matter she knows nothing about. The man chuckles at her. “Ah lass….you’ll be speakin ta Innkeeper Millbanks if’n me memory’s not left me yet.” “My thanks.” And Dejen’s smiles, her whole face lighting up in a way that she did not notice. Getting off the boat, she hugs the elder man and astonishes the denizens by shouldering a rather large bag and skipping to the inn, and not the Deepmug Tavern as is her wont. “Pardon me Innkeeper Millbank’s ma’am. I’d like to…” “Rent one of me rooms. Aye dear. ‘bout time you showed here too. Tis where you are more’n not. Tis 5 silvers a week, me thinks ye can afford that. The Queen has set aside the original purchase price.” And the woman pulls a key off a large ring and hands it to a surprised Dejenchri. Dejen hands the woman 5 silver. And then, key in hand, she walks up to her new home. Opening the door…she finds it to be fairly bare. Reminding herself, she really needs to speak with Fluffye about making her some of the Stouts furniture she pirouettes in the room for, tis hers, and hers alone!
  3. ARCHIVED-valkry Guest

I'm enjoying the story, but have a heart... paragraphs make it easier to follow the story flow and they give poor tired, monitor-abused eyes a much needed rest. I read the first chapter this morning, but the second chapter is just too many letters packed too closely for me to follow. If you really really want the 'stream-of-concousness' single paragraph flow, could I then ask for double spacing? Please!?!
  4. ARCHIVED-danous Guest

Great start to the story... can you try and make it a bit clearer when people are speaking? Maybe place it on a seperate line in context? Other than that, Great content and a good start to a very open storyline :)
  5. ARCHIVED-Alycs Guest

Sorry the next installment is taking so long. Real life has a way of exploding all over people and I haven't had the ability to sit down and actually write more.
  6. ARCHIVED-Alycs Guest

Time passed for Dejen fairly quickly. Her business in the Baubbleshire thrives as customers seek her out to craft wonderful clothes for them. Serving her Queen in her own ways, she is happier than she’d been for as long as she could remember. Her only regret was watching her Stout friends grow so fast and she grew so …. slowly. Aye, her mother had spoken her fears that Dejen would outlive her friends and their families and yet, somehow…she thought little of this. But, spending many nights at the dinner table with Fluffye’s family showed her how fast others grew. Fluffye's mother was wonderful. A troubadour with a wicked sense of humor, Naya was the obvious one in charge. Her spouse, Trean was a wizard though he was happiest at the stove making wonderful new creations of food and taking items of magic and breaking them apart for others to craft with. The baby of the family, Aris, had found her calling early. She’d found the sword of holy causes and become a paladin. Time moved on though and the children didn’t stay children long. Fluffye was now a wizard of some note whilst her sister Buffye was both known for her healing skills on the field and her scribing skills at the desk. Muffye had started spending more time at the temple than out on the field, teaching new monks. Aris fell in love with a Stout named Jumjumberry. When they were to be wed, Dejen crafted their clothes, and that of their entourage. Jumjumberry had been a rogue of some talent it seemed, and had many a friend AND an enemy. Dejen watched them as they pledged to each other under the ancient tree in the Elddar grove. The trio had managed to make it to the wedding, though they sore disapproved of a rogue for their baby sister. For all that she followed the path of light as a paladin, they still thought of her as the baby they played with. Dejen smiles at the new couple as they were so obviously engrossed in each other, happily so. Dejen wandered back home, though, on the way she thought she’d seen shadows in the trees. Curiously so. Not thinking much of it, she left the Elddar grove without speaking of it to a guard. Life became almost routine for Dejen. She would go out and harvest or work on the plethora of orders her customers had for her. Then she’d either go eat dinner with Fluffye and family, or, she’d sit in the Deepmug quietly stitching whilst eating. For all that it was … sedate, Dejen loved her life. Her mother would occasionally visit her and try to get her to ‘see’ some sense and then leave when her offspring was adamant about being happy with the life she was leading. A knock on her door pulls her out of her reverie. She stands from her loom and answers the door…only to find Aris there sobbing. The Stout, still in her armor … quite bloodied armor..runs into her and wraps her arms around Dejen and cries even harder. Dejen only holds her till her sobbing quiets into mere crying. Leading the poor girl to a bench she sits with her until Aris can speak. “They…they can’t bring him back Dejen.” Aris finally croaks out. “He’s … he’s gone forever!” and she breaks down crying again. Dejen realizes that the blood must be Jum’s…..which means that Aris and Jum was out fighting for Qeynos and Light. The blood drains out of her face, leaving it whiter than normal. A hole appears in her heart, for she’d become fond of Jum over the time she’s known him. “Ah little one. I’m so sorry.” And she pulls the paladins face up, “I truly believe that he has been called to greater service by Tunare. It hurts, aye…but one day you WILL be with him again.” And she smiles softly and holds the paladin until they both stop crying. When the crying has stopped, she stands and gets them both some wine. She pulls the bottle down, one of her favorites, a Koada’Dal vintage rarely found these days. “Wine for you Aris.” And she offers the goblet to the girl. Who smiles up at her. “I hate to ask this of you, but could you er.. water it for me?” Dejen looks aback. “Water it? Oh Aris…are you…?” “Expecting a child? Aye. Jumjumberry and I’ve known for some time. But…as I was the only one likely to have children, we’d kept it to ourselves for now.” And tears roll down Aris’ cheeks. “Twill be the only one for this generation.” Dejen hands her the goblet of now watered wine. “Oh, don’t say that. You are still young Aris. It be inconceivable now, but, there might come one whom you love as much as Jumjumberry.” Aris only shakes her head. “No. Dejen, you must SWEAR to me, swear by your love of Tunare, that what I tell you now goes no farther.” Dejen looks aback at the girl. “By my love of Tunare, She who makes all things green and lovely. By my devotion to Her, I swear I will not tell any of what you reveal to me.” she says earnestly, meaning every word of it. A glow surrounds Dejen for just a moment, a glow that only Aris can see. “When this child is born, I will seek out Jumjumberry’s killers. I know who they be. I know where they will be. An I will take them down. Though, I will perish as well.” Dejen cries out in denial. “NO…Aris…you can’t!” ”I can, and I will. This child is the last that will be born to our family Dejen. It has been shown to me by the Oracle already. Now I know why.” She smiles up at the Koada’Dal, also knowing some things about her sisters friend that she herself did not know. “Her name is Chai. Don’t let Mother change it please. And Chai, she will … lead you on an interesting path, my girl will.” And she smiles a pain filled, yet … happy smile.
  7. ARCHIVED-janell Guest

interesting...waiting for more :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Alycs Guest

The Eldaar Grove is a quiet place, full of trees and wandering animals. Some, with no other home than there. The quiet is what Dejenchri looks for now. Many years have passed whilst raising Chai. Now, she has a dilemma…Chai has fallen for…of all things…a gnome. Not that Dejen has any problems with gnomes…but she knew how the Aunts would react to this new problem. Twas bad enough they thought, that their neice was a swashbuckler of all things. Why not a Paladin like her mother, or a wizard like her father? Her grandmother would have loved her to be a troubadour as she was. But no…she HAD to follow in Jumjumberry’s unknown footsteps to be a swashbuckler. The redhaired Koada’Dal chuckled to herself. ‘Well, why not? She IS different, yet so much like her father.’ She thought to herself as she put some of the finishing touches onto a pair of gloves she was crafting for a client from a fairly rare root. Listening to the birds chirping, she smiles whistfully. Never having fallen in love, finding those of her kind to be…almost insipid, though many she respected them highly! Never once did she find any of the Koada’Dal appealing to her romantic side. The closest she’d found anything resembling romance, wasn’t. Merely good friendship between her and her friends Llyra and Cursedy. Verdic, Cursedy’s mate was a very nice man. A Paladin of skill he was, just like his wife. Many people came into her life because of her tailoring and harvesting skills, yet…they seemed…transient. She truly felt that she was on the outside looking into a party of many people. She’d heard that there was trouble brewing within Qeynos…talk of some folk deciding that they’d had enough of Her Majesty’s policies on taxes, foreign affairs, and a good many other things. For once, there was talk of some….betraying Qeynos and the Queen to leave for Freeport. And some...to just leave. To call no city home in this sundered land. And it scared her some. Bringing her mind back to Pyros, the problem. How to approach the aunts? Finishing up the last few stiches, she smiles as she figures out how to do it. ‘Chai dear….please drop what you are doing and make your Aunts one of their favorite jumjum pies please?’ she whispers into a spell and speeds it on it’s way to Chai. Grinning, the Halfling half hears the spell as she relives someone of their coin purse without him knowing. Chuckling to herself, she knows how her mother is going to approach the issue of her taking Pyros’ name without first consulting them. Granted, it was done as a whim at first. But, she’d grown to love Pyros very much. Finishing off yet another coin purse, she sneaks up to the griffon tower by the Oracle’s Tower. Startling the griffon tamer there and getting scolded yet again, she rides one of the great birds to the tower nearest Coldwind. Finally making it to the Baubbleshire, she waves at everyone as she heads off to bake the pies as requested. After stopping at the Deepmug Tavern for some of the wine that makes her pie JUST so she skips off to her baking. Later that evening, as the 3 are gathered for their evening meal within the Deepmug, Dejen brings them some of Chai’s freshly made jumjum pie…something the three ladies fully enjoyed. Somewhat astonished, Muffye askes her, “Why the pie? What has Chai done this time?” Blunt as always, it doesn’t startle the Koada’Dal in the slightest. “Well, sit, and I’ve a tale to tell.” And Dejenchri serves up the pie, taking a piece for herself and helping herself to a cup from the counter and some ale the ladies were drinking. Muffye, Buffye and Fluffye chuckle at their long time friend, knowing that nothing they do or say will rush this woman into telling them ANYTHING. Dejen settles her skirts after she sits, takes sip from the earthenware cup and smiles as the ale settles nicely on her tongue. “They have the best ale here my friends.” And chuckles seeing the sour faces on her friends. Setting the cup down, she smiles. “Tis not bad news I bear…well, not truly.” The trio look skeptical. “Tis TRUE! Our Chai has fallen in love I belive.” Buffye bursts out in laughter. “Our Chai, in love? Tis not true! Tis a jest! I know it!” Dejen looks at them, seeing the mirth in each of them and grins. “Nay, tis not a jest. Tis verily the truth as I see it. She has been seeing much of a certain gentleman these days.” Muffye interrupts, “Mayhaps tis true you say, yet…there must be SOME concern to bring you to us.” Dejen nods, “Aye, verily. Uhm…this gentleman tis NOT a Stout Ladies. He IS a fine man though.” Fluffye quips, “As long as he’s not some gnome, I belive we’ll be allright with it.” Dejenchri winces, never one for being able to hide what she’s thinking. The ladies burst into arguments of who’s fault it was that Chai had gone and fallen for a gnome. And only another set of triplets would mayhaps understand what they were saying. Each would finish part of a sentence, yet not a single sentence would be finished. Sighing, Dejen motions for another pitcher of the ale, changes her mind and motions for TWO more pitchers of ale. Then sitting back, watching the trio argue. She quietly finishes off the first pitcher when they finally cease arguing. Almost as one, they turn to her, the oldest speaking up. “So, who is he, and is he good to her?” she askes. Dejen chuckles and smiles. “First of my friends, let me tell you I’ve known Pyros Norfair for some time. He is a good man. He is a fury in the service of Tunare. As for good to her? She seems to be very happy more often than not. She’ll spend hours just standing and talking with him, and he with her. There have been occasions where they’d sit under the tinkered lights and just…talk. She’s speaking of taking his name. Yet, she wants you three to meet him first.” This surprises the trio. The one with the pixie tails, the wizard Fluffye, speaks this time… ”And he? Does he mind? I know of Pyros, he’s saved my rump a time or four as it is. He’s….acceptable for our Chai.” And so saying, takes a deep draught of her ale. And that seemed to be it. Dejen smiles to herself in pleasure. She knew Chai would be with Pyros, regardless of what her Aunts would say. This just made it….easier for family relations. Excusing herself, she got up from the table and headed home to the inn, knowing that she’ll tell Chai that they didn’t get around to talking about that. Walking into her room, Chai was there on tenterhooks. ”Well mother?” Grinning, Dejen only nods. “Oh thank Brell! Aunt Fluffye was the one I worried most. Aunt Muffye jokes about gnomes, but she really does like them.” Throwing her arms around Dejen, she pulls her into a hug that looks more like a small child hugging her mother. “Oh, and I’ll be out with Pyros again. He just said he had something he wanted to show me.” And she skips out the door. Shaking her head, Dejen can only smile. Remembering when Aris handed her to Dejen before leaving to find Jumjumberry’s killers, Dejen sighs at how short a time it took for this child of hers to grow. Only 23 and yet…
  9. ARCHIVED-janell Guest

and yet what? grumbles bout authors and leaving people hanging..lol thanks for the new entry ..keep at it :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Alycs Guest

“Cursedy is on the docks!” came the shout in and about Qeynos one afternoon. Dejen found this…puzzling and confusing. Her friend would be on the docks at about this time of day. Why so strange this time? Granted, last time she spoke with her friend…there was trouble between her and her Sir Verdic. But, she never pried into it. Though she wanted so very much to know what was making them unhappy, twas not her business unless THEY asked for her advice or came to her with their problem. Whispering the spell that would let her speak with Cursedy, she finds that it will go nowhere. Yet, people are saying she is here. Dejen can feel in her bones that Cursedy is in town. Realization dawning on her, Cursedy must have betrayed the Queen for some reason. Blaming the Teir’Dal that had been seen recently in Qeynos, knowing that The Overlord would want someone such as Cursedy in his ranks, they must have succeeded in turning her…playing on her fears and loves. Bowing her head, she mourns her friend. Remembering all the talks they had, the people that Cursedy had introduced her to. Chuckling, she remembers the time she’d had a problem with a fiend from Freeport finding his way into the Forest Ruins off her home, and Cursedy coming and showing him who should and should not be there. Remembering the good business Cursedy had sent to her brought a smile to her face. Wandering off, she heads towards the Eldaar Grove to find her favorite area to embroider. She stops after hearing a commotion, the patrol attacking someone. Then silence of a sort, she looks up and up, into a horse’s head. A very familiar horse’s head. Patting the horse and giving him some fruit from her pouch, she smiles up at the rider, knowing that nothing she would say could be understood by the rider, now clad in dark colors…befitting her new station in life. Admiring the work put into her armor as only someone who used to work with metal or still does can. Sitting on the horse is her friend Cursedy, fallen paladin, now a knight of the shadow. Smiling up sadly at the rider, she beckons for a hug, knowing that her friend knows she means no ill will to her and will not send out a cry for aid. Cursedy hugs her back, tears in both their eyes. Listening, Dejen knows she’s safe for just a little bit longer. She spends a few moments more in the hug, conveying the regret she feels for the decision Cursedy made, knowing, this would probably be the last time she’d see her for a very long time. So many people lost that she knew. She already missed her dear friend Llyra, who’d passed into oblivion months earlier. Sir Verdic was, and Dejen pauses in her thoughts, knowing that whatever it was the good knight was hurting as well for he hadn’t been seen for some time either…and when he had been, he’d been distant. Not that Dejen knew him well mind you. Cursedy had introduced them before. But he seemed a reasonable sort. This war was taking it's toll on the people of Qeynos. It did seem that Freeports numbers were great afore now, and now....the numbers were rising. Life slowed down for Dejen after that encounter. More and more people whom she’d known were missing. Either seen with the Overlords people, or living in the Caves of this new Haven people were talking about. Watching Chai’s relationship deepen Pyros saddened her some, for she had no-one for herself. And she was feeling increasingly lonely. She had never really been one to go out and make friends. She had never been social with more than her close friends, twas her own fault she knew. She still spoke with Brii, who’d made the mistake of wanting to learn just that bit more and discovered the the Queens protection no longer applied to her. Dejen chuckles, reminded of the times she warned her acquaintance time and again that she really should wear her armor and arms whilst out harvesting, for her own protection. She continued to stay in touch with all those she still knew, hoping few more would vanish from her life. Over time though, she noticed Chai getting…stranger, darker, more prone to wicked pranks and fits of anger. Chalking it up to just the rigors of living in a time of war, she thought nothing of it. Her child had always had a penchant for dark jokes. But this was, and she pauses in her thoughts. Unusual was a good word for it. Her aquantaince Darvos vanished one day. As did Shikaeshi and Liliuk. She stopped hearing others speak around her. The ones whos voices that had been loudest to her. Meix and Nin stopped their bickering at who was the more attractive, though Paikis still claimed that. Handsome Feir'Dal he might be, but he was too flighty for her tastes some days. Some she came to learn had passed beyond the clerics arts and left to join Tunare. Others were … sleeping and unable to be woken. And then, there were the ones who’d done the unthinkable and left Qeynos for Freeport.
  11. ARCHIVED-Alycs Guest

Then one day Dejen started hearing Chai ask around for Pyros. She realized she’d not seen the gnome in some time, and wondered if he was well or not. The conversations in the taverns had been fairly nasty of late. And it was, pausing for a moment, Dejen tries to find a word to describe what it felt like coming down one morning to find an Iksar in her inn. Vile creatures they are. In her HOME for Tunare’s sake! And then turning around to find a Ratonga at the same time?!? Her world was changing faster than she could deal with. And now Chai acting strangely. She’d wondered if the taverns were now serving Freeport Stout instead of good Dwarven beer or a fine Stout ale!! Shaking her head, she still has problems with that .. that ….lizard in Baubbleshire. She could see how MAYBE a rat could see the errors of their ways…but…the lizard-folk were very much creatures of their God. Vile and evil, how could they not be any different? Snorting to herself for her worries she discovers the trio on her way home. Greeting them with hugs and smiles, she stops for an hour or so, enjoying a drink and speaking with Buffye about some new spells she’d like and maybe some of Fluffye’s furniture. Oh, and Muffye, please would you ask Tourmaline…some new jewelry for Chai. She wanted to surprise Chai for her upcoming natal day with the jewelry. Chai had come so far in her profession, Dejen wanted to reward her with something special. And in her mining, she’d found some opal that she just KNEW Tourmanline, one of the cousins, could make into something pretty for Chai! She left the opals with Muffye and with Fluffye promising to have someone bring over the rug and bed she’d ordered in a few days she set off the few yards to home. Smiling at Chai’s empty bed, thinking she was out with Pyros yet AGAIN, finally again!..that gnome needs to let her get some sleep, she falls asleep and passes the night quietly. Waking the next morning, she see’s that Chai didn’t come home. Looking closer..she notices that several items that Chai loved were missing from her bed and a parchment laying on it. Reading it, she almost faints, for the first time in her life. “Mother, please forgive me. I’ve found Pyros. Well, not..that's not true. I've found where he’s gone off to. It seems he was seen with some Freeportians. I know I’ll be shunned by my family, and probably by you as well, yet…the pull to Freeport is strong. And started long before Pyros left for there. I’ll know more as to why he left. But for now, though my family is here, my heart is there. It will take me a long time to unlearn this language we speak in and you’ll not understand me next we meet…but…I HAVE to do this Mother. You of all people will understand, and I hope, by Brell I HOPE!, not hate me for my decision. Please, tell Fluffye, who suspected this might happen that ,yes, I’ll meet her on the field any time…and that, though she is my aunt, she’s already told me she’ll end my life. I’ll fight for that life and if hers is lost, I am very sorry, for I know how long you two have been friends.” She lets the parchment fall from her fingers, to float to the floor and she sits on the bed. Should anyone had walked in at the time, they would have thought the Koada’Dal had just gotten news that a dear friend or family member had died. Her normally pale skin went even paler, making her red hair stand out farther. Many hours later, she leaves her room, after having retrieved the parchment from the floor. Joining the Aunts in the tavern, the bartender brings her some mead instead of the usual ale. She quaffs it quickly but does not ask for another. She hands the ladies the parchment, and says nothing. They read it in silence, until Fluffye explodes. “I TOLD her I would hunt her down if she did anything THIS stupid! And I swear by Ro that I WILL!” Her sisters try to quiet her as the rest of the tavern ceases talking and stares at them. “Fluffye, tis her life, her decision. No, we do NOT accept this…she IS dead to us now…but…to exact revenge makes us no better than those Innoruk worshiping bugs.” She lays a hand on the wizards shoulder, but as a monk, her grip is firm, keeping Fluffye in her seat. “Let me go now Muffers, or I’ll..” “What? Zap me with some sort of spells? Fluffers dear, you need to be able to MOVE your arm…and I can snap it easily right now” Buffye looks at them both. “Mother left me in charge because of just this…ye both can tear each other limb from limb…but I be the one who has to patch ye two together. Don’t make me. I’ll let ye both sit in pain for a while.” The two ladies look at their sister, stunned. “No, I am NOT happy that Chai has betrayed not JUST the Queen and Qeynos, but US..her family. And look at Dej..she’s devastated. Ye both forget..it was not US who raised her from a babe. It was HER." And the stout waves at Dejenchri " Get ye'r heads out of your rumps and realize that we’re all feelin betrayed by this.” Buffye looks at Dejenchri. “Sister of our hearts, what are ye planning on doin?” Dejen snorts, “In truth, my first reaction is to go to her. Keep her from harm there. Help her if need be. No, I did not birth her, yet…she is STILL my daughter.” Fluffye looks ready to explode again, Buffye looking at her, “Do I have to…” and the wizard backs down. “Fluffye, if I leave here…it will seem that I am willingly betraying hearth and home. Yet..I’m not. I’m going to keep my child safe from as much harm as I can. I can help her with my skills. I can bring coin in to keep her sheltered. Knowing her, she left any coin she had in her bank and I KNOW she didn’t take anything from the family bank. I looked there first. I can take her books to help her in her new…profession.” And at this, Dejen winces and sighs. “I don’t even want to think about what I’m going to have to do. I really don’t. I know my mother said I’d been born in Felwithe, but I do NOT remember. Qeynos has been my home for SO long. I don’t want to leave it. I’m not SURE what I’m going to do. I really am not sure.” And the Koad’dal sighs heavily, this time ordering another wine. Sitting there in silence, the four women mourn their losses. One of them not just mourning, but planning. Buffye is the first to break the silence. “If ye do this Dejen, I will support ye in this. As I’ve ne’er had a child, nor e’er will, I can’t e’en imagine what ye feel now. That closest to a child was Aris…an I miss her still. If ye go after Chai, mayhaps ye’ll have luck in bringin her home.” That said, Buffye stands and hugs Dejen. “I need to be goin to the temple an pray to Tunare for guidance in this matter. Be ye well my friend.” The hug that she gave her said that she knew of Dejen’s decision. Muffye hugs her and goes off to the room she shared with her sisters. Fluffye sat there fuming.