TLE vs xp bonus and holiday events

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Nightnight, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Nightnight New Member

I am under the impression that TLS servers don't get holiday events, why is that? Can it be revoted if so, as I enjoy not only adventuring but decorating my house on different holiday's.

Also i think TLE servers should have the bonus XP weekend like any other server. This is the only time progression server under the everquest franchise that does not get to share in the XP bonus, and I play only on TLE servers. I am not a floater, i stick to one server. As it stands now, you can get the XP or Crafting potions if you are rolling in the money and easily go from level 1 to 50 in 3 days, so how is that different from not having XP bonus on TLE servers other then the fact that it shows who has more real life money then another person playing the same game?
    ltankhsd likes this.
  2. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Every current holiday in EQ2 requires access to areas that don't exist on the TLE servers. Rewriting those quests would take more time than our severely reduced dev team has to spare, what with an xpac coming up, plus would probably affect those quests on live.

Given the overwhelming desire expressed by TLE players to take the slow path (check the last TLE vote results for reference), I believe the devs figured TLE would not appreciate double xp days. While others have complained about it too, others have also said they're glad TLE doesn't get them, and even that they wish TLE didn't have the potions on the marketplace. TLE's a balancing act, and I think the potions but no double xp is a fair enough compromise.

Now, if there's a double status weekend, I would love to have THAT on TLE...
    Siren, Kittybock and Feldon like this.
  3. Nightnight New Member

is there a place that polls are shown for certain areas, if i remember right there is a post on having the polls for each vote posted, but as for now there is none.
    I don't believe you are 100% true on the holiday events for TLE servers, they have done it many times on other servers as well as EQ1 where the OS is not as "smooth" as the OS for EQ2, and yet they made it work.
    Also think you are being a bit of a hypocrite to say they should have status weekends and not XP weekends, perhaps they should have both. If you ever get a chance you should read up on the XP bonus they have you will find that TLE servers in EQ1 has XP bonus, but EQ2 don't. I would be very interested in seeing these polls that show how the servers feel on this subject and that they should implement a revote now, since a lot has changed since beta.
  4. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree we're unlikely to get a bonus status weekend anymore than we are going to get the bonus xp. The poll and discussion I was referring to were the last vote to move the servers to the next xpac. The News and Announcement section of the forums has the results of that poll, and the discussion it raised that lasted almost to the entire month to the next poll. The vote was overwhelmingly that people were not ready to move on to DoF, and the discussion was vehement between those at end game with nothing to do (and so with no need for bonus xp because they're already capped), and those enjoying taking their time and leveling slowly (who would likely not appreciate bonus xp pushing them through the content faster). My conclusion that this is the reason TLE is not getting bonus xp is speculation of course, but it seems reasonable.

As for the holidays, I cannot recall a dev-maintained holiday that was ever released in different versions on different servers. Antonia Bayle server has had some player-created events that are server specific, but if one server has a new NotD quest, all the servers have it. Keeping the holidays turned off is much simpler and much less likely to have unforeseen consequences than having the devs pick through the quests to turn off particlar ones that happen where players can't go, then rebalance other quests that are well known for being extremely difficult for casual/undergeared players who often have to mentor down to finish them (I'm thinking the Charnel Hollow quest in particular).
  5. Grymmstone Member

Yet the questgivers for stuff on live servers are all over the shattered lands and not turned on in the TLE servers, so why can't the questgivers that send you to content elsewhere be turned off during the holidays? NoTD we could still get the Cauldron Hollow maze and the Headless Horseman x4 in Nektulos Forest, the Goblin Zone based on runnyeye, and the trick or treating fun runs around town. How about Frostfell Wonderland and the Permafrost questlines and all the low level holiday crafting recipes. So what if there are NPCs that will not give you the newer zone questlines.
    Maiana likes this.
  6. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

You quoted exactly why I think it's the case - it is time-intensive when current dev time is taken up with the new xpac. Even if we think it would be fast, the devs would still have to check each quest to make sure they're not affecting other quests, and manually turn off/adjust each one. And some of those affects aren't very obvious - like how you have to finish the Haunted Mansion in Somborn before you can see the Gleaming Chest in Hedge Hollow, which you need to access before you can spawn the Headless Horseman x4 in Nek. Also, the trick or treating runs around town were replaced with the ghost hunt race in 2012.

Seriously, dev time is crunched to the point that we have no new quests for NotD. I really don't expect them to have time to sort the old quests to make changes just for TLE that will likely all be reverted next year.
    Kaitheel likes this.
  7. Kaitheel Developer

I can't speak on the topic of XP, but I can respond to your inquiry about holiday events.

One of the limitations announced, pertaining to the TLE servers, was that there were no plans to include Live Events (holiday events), due to the inconsistency of zone and feature availability that the events often require. As stated in other threads*, live events are finicky things with a great many parts reliant on certain zones, and/or game play features that have accumulated over the years.

Nights of the Dead specifically would take an overwhelming amount of work to get it functional on the TLE servers. Some aspects (like zone art) we do not have any ability to designate between live server and TLE server – they share the same data. Other aspects, we can have separate, but only if all new files are made. That would mean re-making the event. Currently, we would have to choose between new content for the game or testing and changing existing live events in order to run them on TLE servers. We have chosen to work on new content.

Further examples:
    • The City Festival sends players to the Village of Shin, and requires flying for the eather races. And although the races do not require *you* to fly, it requires flying in the zone to be turned on in order to function.
    • Tinkerfest's main hub, including quest givers and merchants are in Steamfont, and requires flying for the eather races.
    • Moonlight Enchantments would probably be one the cleanest events, but even it has a zone that would require Greater Faydark.
    *https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...e-world-events-from-2008.563417/#post-6252887
    *https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/moonlight-enchantments.562679/

~ Kaitheel
    Kittybock, Feldon, Mizgamer62 and 2 others like this.
  8. Boldac Active Member

So I understand we can't get the events...but is there any chance of getting specific merchants?

I.E. City Merchant that sells the housing stuff from vairous events (especially the city festivals/moonlight enchantments) so we can use all of these tokens our crafters have been collecting. A merchant that sells the costumes and appearance items from NotD and other events. Etc.

Heck, put them on the marketplace if you want. Sell the NotD illusions for 100 each (just remove the charges if you do that please). Make us happy...make marketing happy....win-win for everyone.
  9. Riaak New Member

Why can't you guys put limited holiday events in? There were holidays in not long after launch.

I just hope they don't put holiday stuff on the marketplace for day break cash, that would be pretty lame after saying they couldn't incorporate the holidays.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

there are festival items on the cash shop
    So if you really must have those things the only thing you need is real money.
    I would say there are no xp events because we chose to level slower than the regular servers , because that's how slow it went in the old days .I was told it was even slower putting in a double xp event would counter indicate the idea.
    I personally think we still level to fast my quests turn gray all the time and sometimes I got to lock my level so I can do them all wile they are at least green.
    I like the idea to get merchants to sell those things like recipes
    But they would have to sell those things for good old silver or gold because we cant get holyday harvestables.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  11. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

To me double xp goes against the original mindset of these special servers being put up. I mean seriously, next Thursday another expac is opening up and I can guarantee there will be folks racing to the cap as it is. Then you want to add double xp? May as well just play live, seriously.

As to the events, I now have a deeper understanding as to why it can't be done. The original planning for these servers were very transparent and folks knew from the get go what would and would not be happening on these servers. Interested parties also voted on many things and voted no on many things.

As it is you can buy vitality pots on the MP which is a huge disappointment to many as it is.

All I'm saying is that everything was put out front about these servers, what they would have and what they would not have. The dev team did a great deal of work as it was to get the start isle and the boat ride up and running.

One thing I don't want to see is stuff like the depots being put on the market place, especially the fuel depot, when for years crafters and decorators have begged for a larger version to craft. Now looks like we won't get that because it's been put on the MP. I don't want to see more stuff going that way and then crafters and decorators on live not getting these as recipes and such.

If folks are that unhappy, I hate to say this, but there is the option of playing on the live servers. I already have a bad feeling that finding groups for the vanilla content on these servers is going to be severly hurt due to the new xpac opening up. Remains to be seen and I hope I'm wrong. I'm hoping I won't see folks being "run through" lower lvl content by higher toons where you just follow them around and loot. I hate that with a passion and why I was attracted to the TLE concept from the beginning. But as I said, that remains to be seen. If it happens, I can just go completely back to the live servers and free up some character slots to boot.

/steps off soapbox
    Moonpanther
  12. Eradani Well-Known Member

i saw lots of WTB PL on deathtoll last night :(
  13. Vunder Well-Known Member

Several people took advantage of the collection exp bug ( Chat said it was an exploit, I thought thats how collections worked)?? on Stormhold. We had 60's within the first hour. One of my own guildies turned in 114 collections and went from 50 to 58 then took him about an hour or so to grind the last level and a half solo.
  14. ltankhsd New Member

Except that it doesn't. These servers aren't supposed to be hardcore servers. Why don't people get that? They are time locked servers giving people a chance to experience the game as it was at the respective times the game and subsequent expansions were released. Guess what; they had double XP bonuses back then too. If it was around back then then is should be part of the TLE experience now.
    Spindle likes this.
  15. Tabri Well-Known Member

10 years of NOTD and Frostfell its just too difficult to nit pick through all of the things added to the game to put onto the TLE servers, really its impossible. They have done the best they can to go back to the original game for us,to many things interfere with the live servers also to be able to manipulate.
    If you are that hard core to do the holiday events make a toon if not already on the live servers or go jump on your old toons to play the content there for awhile then go back to TLE. As far as double XP people complained they were leveling too fast so regardless if we had it back when DBG will be hesitant to put something like that in on TLE.
    Kittybock likes this.
  16. Lera Well-Known Member

They had double XP bonuses back when it took a lot longer to level up. If you look at the discovery dates on a lot of the old items, it took weeks if not months before the higher-level stuff was found. Now, people rush to max level the day an expansion comes out. There's nothing hardcore about taking longer to level up. If you want to rush to max level, play on live. If you want to do the content for a while at the level it was meant for, that's what TLE is for. Even if there's an expansion every 30 days, with the way the game is set up now, that's plenty of time to gain 10 levels without double XP. What it's not time for is actually playing the game the way it used to be, since there's no way you'd finish everything that quickly, especially running dungeons or raids over and over to get fully geared.
  17. Sinhika Well-Known Member

I'd like the recipes from the various seasonal events, at least. And the drops to make stuff for the recipes.
  18. d1anaw Well-Known Member

The whole point was to recreate the original, though in my opinion, it is lacking. The holidays didn't exist back then, ergo, they won't until you reach that point. What is the point of wanting the whole nostalgia thing if you aren't going to play along?
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I don't know moonlight enchantment does not for say require you to go to Faydark you just cant get what ever things there are there but there is no quest that says you GOT to go there .