Tinkering Requirements

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Marrnar, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Marrnar Member

I have been looking to see what the requirements are for Tinkering and have found multiple sources with different information. I have a level 90 adventurer who is a level 9 artisan. I don't want to choose a secondary class for him (just my style) unless I have to. One site says you have to be level 10 and another says level 3 or have completed the harvesting quest tutorial. The one that says level 10 says that it could have been lowered and mentioned that it needed to be verified. When I am tinkering the first set of recipes I cannot see my tinkering improving at all so I am wondering if indeed I need to be level 10 in crafting before I could level my tinkering...
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Did you go to a trainer to get certified and receive the reaction arts? If not go find one in either Gfay or Butcherblock and get them scribed. Your tinkering level is capped to your highest level, either tradeskill or adventurer, so in yur case 90. You don't gain levels in tinkering but you get skill points from completing combines, 5 skill points per level like other skills so you can currently work up to 90 x5.

And as far as I lnow harvesting tutorials have absolutely nothing to do with it so heaven knows where that came from!
  3. Marrnar Member

Hi Tkia, thank you for the reply. I have gone to BB and spoken with the trainer there and I only get two options that basically boil down to "I already know it all" or "it's not my cup of tea". Nothing else...and when I craft the first 3 recipes which are some boots, a saw, and a hammer I have the reaction skills so I am assuming I did this at one time but I don't see my skill going up at all.

Later today after work I will run about 20-30 combines and see if I can see it move then. If not I will go level to 10 on my crafting and see if it changes from there.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

If you're level 9 just go talk to the trainer and they'll bounce you to 10 when you choose the subclass.
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

Okay I took a mule character to the trainer to get started. She's level 17 conjy and level 5 artisan. I made the lowest level recipe and got the first skill up from 5 to 6 on the 4th combine so it seems fine. just subject to rng like most of the game.
  6. Marrnar Member

First off, thank you Tkia for taking the time to test on your side. Basically what I did was exactly what you said, I just kept doing combines and finally after what seemed like 10 or so it finally ticked up and then after that it seemed like almost every other run it ticked up.

Well off I go now to level my little gnome and thank you once again for the time and information.
  7. Melkior Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are all set. Tinkering unlike crafting only has a chance to increase on completion (or stopping) the combine. The skill up is purely random. It should level up to the higher of your adventure level or crafting level. There is a daily quest in the city that will give you mats for leveling tinkering once per day.
    Jaden likes this.