Time to allow transmuting to work like harvesting ...

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Kalika, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Kalika Well-Known Member

Recently adventurers were allowed to harvest any tier of ressources, it allowed player to raise their skill by digging in any zone.

A similar change should be done for transmuting, we should be able to train using item of any level ... for sure transmuting much above your skill would return nothing but you would get skill increases.
    SierraDawn, Hijinx and oakmiser like this.
  2. oakmiser Well-Known Member

100% agree with this
  3. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I disagree.

Harvesting was changed because of the 85 heroic character addition and the fact that certain quests called for the skill.

You can already raise transmuting 145 levels between the harvest cloak, FS pegasus and the new prestige points, allowing you to start on level 34 items. This opens up a wide range of zones in which you can start your initial collection to raise the skill. Skill can still be gained off trivial items, so there's just no need to tweak this skill.
    Arcos and Ahupu like this.
  4. Hijinx Well-Known Member

Something needs to be done to help newbies ease into this skill. I'm all for any creative ideas that help. I like this one!
  5. Purrako Active Member

I think an optional daily task added to the adorning NPC would work as well.
    Once a day they could give you ten items based on current transmute skill that you could then transmute.
    Similar to the part of the Raffik series where you get 3 items to transmute so you have mats for making the pirate adorn.
    It would allow people to gain the two skills at a similar speed.
  6. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but there's nothing remotely creative about this and it does nothing to ease people into the skill. They still need to get the gear to break it down.
    Ahupu likes this.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Another daily task would be to get yourself out into a zone and mow down some mobs. No extra coding required! Raffik would be happy to help you on your adventures!
    Ahupu likes this.
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

This idea has some merit. On the one hand it will cause problems from players who don't pay attention and transmute items above their skill. They will complain they got nothing...and they are suppose to get nothing because its above their skill. Still, your looking at customer service getting a few more complaints every day because of this.

On the other hand, it will make transmuting much easier to start. No more inflating the price of 1-9 treasured items. Even the 10-19 items would get a bit cheaper. It also means new players won't be able to get some easy gold by brokering said items, but more new players don't have access to the broker anyways thanks to F2Player restrictions.

I'd say throw in a warning pop up that makes you confirm that your going to get no products for this transmute because the item is above your skill level. It will be super annoying, but will prevent people from doing it without understanding the consequences.
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

Oh, one more thing. Transmuting above your skill range shouldn't be as productive as being in the proper range. I'd say make it somewhere around 30-40% chance to skill up instead of 50% like an even con transmute would be.
  10. Hijinx Well-Known Member

Actually, it does. The reason it is so hard to start out in this skill is that you out level what you can transmute in a blink of an eye. This would allow you to continue adventuring and crafting and still raise the skill. It's an excellent idea.
    SierraDawn and HaphazardAllure like this.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

That's what chrono-mentoring and the AA slider are for.
    Lodrelhai, Mermut and Ahupu like this.
  12. Hijinx Well-Known Member

Can you even use a chronomage at 15 or 20? Why should it take hours of farming for a low level character, when just playing the game works by the time you're 40?
  13. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You can chronomentor by 20. If you're all-access, you can slide the AA slider at level 10. Even without that, you can stop any xp gains while you farm.

I don't know where you get the idea that there's any time saved. If transmuting is to work like harvesting, then you'll have more failures and fewer skill raises per item.
    Ahupu likes this.
  14. Purrako Active Member

Yes because chronoing down to level 5 and laying waste to a newbie area just to get drops to transmute is such a win situation for the other people trying to actually adventure in a newbie zone.
    Finora likes this.
  15. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Newbies are spread out over 4 different areas. The likelihood of running into someone and impacting their experience is slim. It takes no time at all for them to be past that stuff anyway.
  16. mouser Well-Known Member

New players NEED "easy" ways to make plat in order to break into an established "old money" economy. Selling low level treasured items (which are in no way required to level up your character) is a great way for them to do this. It teaches new players that grinding and farming can be profitable, while providing a stream of goods for transmuters to level on.

I think the OP's suggestion is a solution in search of a problem. Leveling up transmuting works as-is.

Edit: As for people chrono-ing down to five to farm this stuff... It doesn't take very long before you have much better means of acquiring plat at your disposal. At that point, buying the stuff from the 'newbies' - paying the fair market value of the goods (what was referred to as the 'inflated' price) is the best way to go.
    Arcos and Deveryn like this.
  17. Kuulei Well-Known Member

You can always do the easy way and mass-craft low-tiered gear and spells to transmute ;)
    Wellknownmember and Ahupu like this.
  18. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that handcrafted / adept stuff never muted.
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  19. Purrako Active Member

It working currently is not the issue. What is being suggested is ways it could work 'better' and be more friendly to new players.
    Some of what you suggest is only really available to all-access people. F2P folks are not making plat buying and selling on broker.
    Personally I have all the transmuters I want. My sub is paid until next May.
    But I do recall it being a chore to get the first 20-30 skill ups.
    I see nothing wrong with making this task easier for the people just starting the game.
    There is way too much of 'I had to do it this way so everyone else should have to as well' in this game.
    Wellknownmember likes this.
  20. Kuulei Well-Known Member

mass-craft low-tiered mastercrafted
    I have mass-crafted T1 armor, weapons, spells, etc., using T1 rares, for people to level up transmuting. It took longer to pass all the items, than it did to craft and them to level with transmuting them :p
    SierraDawn and Deveryn like this.