Thoughts of a 'Casual Templar'

Discussion in 'Templar' started by ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL, Dec 23, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Beerserker Guest

Casual Templar: ONLY the undead fear me. Slow at everything from quest to heals. The weakest damage class. Where the utilities? lol. Whos the best healer of them all, we are all equal, grey colored toons.

60 Swash <-- ninja'ed by a karate chop from SoE.
    60 Templar <-- ninja'ed by a smite from SoE.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

I've highlighted the parts which I feel already respond to your points.
  3. ARCHIVED-Chogar Guest

After the Revamp, even con encounters where balanced around app-4 skills / spells and player crafted equipment.
  4. ARCHIVED-Dalcharis Guest

You know, that's probably why 95% of us are bored the majority of the time. Ad3s and M1s make things a lot more trivial. Anyone else looking at Age of Conan instead of Vanguard as the possible new coming of challenge + enjoyment? :p
  5. ARCHIVED-Timaarit Guest

I wonder if SoE shares your view about people going to another game if they dont like the chance to templars in this game...
  6. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Thanks for the offer, but I checked this weekend, and ALL my current spells are at App IV or higher, with a lot of Adept 1's.

Only handcrafted plate, couple treasured. Jewlery is mostly handcrafted some treasured. But not a WIS focus, since prior to LU#13 nuke it wasn't such a primary ability quest. Replacing all my gear with WIS boosting may help.

I will have to see if i wnt to mess with that, my Fury dinged same level this weekend and he already has a few master 1 spells.
  7. ARCHIVED-Spite Guest

Replacing all your gear with WIS gear will only help with the size of your power pool and your personal resists. It will not help the amount you heal. I just thought you should know that before going shopping.
  8. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

**REMOVED DUE TO INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT**
    Message Edited by Raijinn Thunderguard on 01-03-2006 05:17 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Nari Guest

Sorry, Cold. All we've got is experience of people who have done it and our own observations. Cranking your INT will help with spell damage. I think someone mentioned a conversation with a dev where he stated that WIS would not increase healing.

Keep asking though. ;) Increased healing will just cause tanks to fight bigger stuff.
  10. ARCHIVED-SenorPhrog Guest

Intelligence controls your damage (which isn't a primary ability of a Templar by the way). Increase it and you'll hit harder. Want more power? Increase your wisdom. Those are the rules.
  11. ARCHIVED-Barodur_04 Guest

MT: "Heal me!"
    Templar: "I will in x seconds, recast timer!"
    Templar: "I will in y seconds, recast timer!"
    Templar: "I will in z seconds, recast timer!"
    MT: "Rez me"
    Templar: "Just revive because we are all dead."
    MT: "My guild is calling for me to go do some stuff."

OR as an ALTERNATIVE to the above
    Templar: "I AM!"
    Templar: "I AM you have my big reactive!"
    Templar: "I AM that was my biggest direct heal!"
    MT: "Rez me"
    Templar: "Just revive because we are all dead."
    MT: "My guild is calling for me to go do some stuff."

luckily your wife is a fury, fury got more than x y z timer, like v w x y z, so u can always see her casting, no screaming at all
  13. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

That may be. But as I look at Kendricke (who says Templars are fine) he is not wearing plate armor, only 3 in 7 are plate, but EVERY piece of gear he is wearing is major WIS.
    http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/pplayer.vm?characterId=105807101
    Perhaps WIS is the total key that I have been missing.

I do run out of power against mobs as well.

Message Edited by CoLD MeTaL on 12-29-2005 09:56 AM
  14. ARCHIVED-nullcodehere Guest

The gear he is wearing has nowhere near 'major' wis. Some of it, the only good thing about it is the word 'fabled' attached to, and let me say that SPECIFIC fabled gear is among the easiest to get and not very beneficial to a templar. I would have liked that bp at level 46, but by 47 I had far better from MoTM (another zone he is probably unfamiliar with). 229 wis at level 57 is sad.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

As others have stated, we have the option of plate, but it's not always the best option. For myself, as a relatively casual grouping Templar, I'm still concentrating on WIS - regardless of the source of the Wisdom, as well as Power and Resistances. I'm nowhere near as decked out as some of the raiders on these forums, but I like to think I'm at least above the average. In addition, I try to earn every piece of armor I wear, either by providing the harvestables directly or by questing or raiding for it (hence, the decided lack of tradeskilled armor for the most part).
    I don't solo nearly as much as I used to, which admittedly wasn't more than 40% of my time to begin with, and I've begun planning out my nights in advance in order to maximize my time online. Therefore, my gear is based mostly around grouping, not soloing - as are my Master II and Adept III choices. I tend to prioritize my groups around 3-4 melee, a mage of some sort, and myself whenever possible. Though I tend to do better with mitigation fighters, I've been doing well enough with a couple of our guild's higher level monks (especially since the Reverence boost).
    We've begun to finally dig in to some of the higher end quests we've been putting off for so long, and so far, it's been fun. The priority of the guild right now is getting to level 40, and to get the majority of our membership to level 55-60, but we've chosen to continue to allow applicants as low as level 10 to enter our ranks.
    We're not uberhardcore players who spend 12 hours a day online. Most of us are lucky to put in 12-20 hours a week (luckily, I have two jobs that allow me ample online time for the forums, not to mention one of those jobs requires me to play online games and read forums for a portion of that). Never-the-less, we're still doing well enough to keep 40 members logging in throughout each day (even during the holidays), and we're finally getting around to hitting targets we've wanted to try for months.
    My advice would be to build your gear around your platstyle, which should be altered if necessary to take the most advantage of your class. If your playstyle is not fitting the class you've chosen, then I'll give you the same advice I've given my own members who aren't happy - change it up. If you aren't happy as a Templar, find a class which fits your playstyle. I had two Berserkers change to Mages over the past couple months and they've been happy as a pig in mud with the results. We had a Swashbuckler change over to an Illusionist recently, and though she still loves her pirate, she's loving her Ratonga enchanter. A Troubadour switched to a Guardian. A Paladin switched to Templar. A Monk switched to Dirge. If the playstyle you enjoy isn't matched by the class you want to enjoy, then find a class that fits your playstyle - or adapt your playstyle to fit the class.
    I'm not advocating you quit. I'm advocating you find a way. That's just my glass-half-full thinking though. Please don't let it interfere with your final choice. By all means, I don't mean to discourage you hating Templars if that is what you want to do. My apparantly "we are fine" fanboism could possibly interfere with your self-loathing and I'd hate to be accused of that. So, with that in mind, take my openly biased opinions with a rather large grain of salt. :smileywink:
    Whatever path you choose, I hope it helps to enhance your enjoyment of the game, rather than deter from it. Good luck in finding that which you seek.
  16. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

Oh yes! By all means, ignore my poorly informed rantings in a discussion on "Casual Templars" because I'm not uber enough. :smileyvery-happy:
  17. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

I am trying to find a way to save my Templar.

I am looking at what people who say they are 'fine' are doing, and seeing if I can do that.
  18. ARCHIVED-SenorPhrog Guest

Cold this is the first MMO I've ever been able to play more than casually. I'm actually approaching the maximum level in a game for the first time in my life so I can sympathize with you on casual play. I can't honestly say it'd be an easy thing for you. Casually playing means you probably try to do a lot of soloing and it's going to be painful. The people who have it easier are people who have invested more time in gear and spell upgrades (I finally got my first T6 AD3 last night at level 58 if that tells you anything).

It's really about your motivation and how bad you really want to continue as a Templar. I absoultely don't think anyone should just "go play another class" because it doesn't really solve anything. Trying other classes is a universal alternative to the "grind" but avoiding your unhappiness doesn't usually fix it.

I don't have a good answer for you...wish I did. I can just wish you the best of luck and hope there is some way you can be helped around here.
  19. ARCHIVED-thomasza Guest

20. ARCHIVED-SenorPhrog Guest

Part of one of my jobs requires me to follow just about every MMO out there. It's interesting to see the trends emerging with different game mechanics and business models. One of the biggest trend changes in the past few years is the emphasis on the casual player and soloer. This has directly resulted in a boost in MMO players in many peoples opinions. The emerging playerbase comes directly from that market and SOE, Blizzard, Sigil, no one can ignore it and stay succesful.

Honestly? I've got a level 23 Fury and its....feh...ok. I still prefer my Conjurer.