Thinking of rolling an RP toon on AB - How do I start?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by ForeverRaynning, Apr 25, 2019.

1. ForeverRaynning Member

Hello there!

Knowing that the majority of the roleplay community resides either within MD or AB (seemingly moreso in the latter) I have decided to start a character over there! I love RP in mmo’s, especially when it allows me to get to know new people and make friends!

Soooo, where do I start? I’ve hardly any clue as to the lore, I not be power levelling nor accepting very generous gifts with this character because that kind of thing can spook me a bit! So I will be very low levelled compared to a lot of you.

Basically, how do I start getting into the RP scene in AB, I know most things are done in homes, guilds, specific channels, etc.

No idea what race, no idea what class, no idea what character personality or anything yet, but will update you all once I have one sorted (still finding my feet...)

Anywho, I look forward to mingling with you all!
    Elyria and Kittybock like this.
  2. Grundy New Member

I would look for a good guild. I am on AB and have not RP'ed once. I did sit in a Tavern at one point and listen to a bunch of RP'ers but that's about it.
    Elyria and Kittybock like this.
  3. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

I would encourage you to create a character that you'll enjoy, as well as a reasonably believable backstory. I always suggest that people leave a fairly open ended story, don't make your character too OP, and remember the best unique character (oddly enough) are the pretty normal ones. Does your character not understand Stout? Find someone who can teach it, or RP over time your character going to an NPC tutor, so when you learn it in game you'll have a legitimate IC reason why!

If you want to do some reading beforehand you can look over https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki and nose around, though I know there's other websites.

I don't know if it's still an active community, but you can try checking out https://www.raven-mythic.com/phpbb3/index.php There's lots of role players there as well as listings of RP guilds and events.

You can also look on the AB Broker for a Player Written Book called "Smallcorners Guide to Recommended Venues" I think it's in it's 22nd or 23rd edition that has a list of times/days of active RP venues that are open to the public.

Good luck in your character creation!
    Elyria, Soara2, Blazen and 2 others like this.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Join the channel RPLFG this is where you will see all announcements and almost all the people that come into the open, from there you will meet the ones that do not come out into the open.
    Elyria, Soara2, Kittybock and 2 others like this.
  5. ForeverRaynning Member

Thinking of playing an Ogre, perhaps one who knows about their peoples past and how they once used to be a lot smarter, and thus she wants to pursue that path, she wants to become someone who can help people by giving them information, or understanding their language and culture, not just someone who bashes things about... Don't get me wrong, she enjoys bashing things every once in a while but, a good book and intellectual discussion is also great exercise!

No idea what class she will be yet, I have her bone-structure sorted I'm just trying to find a good skin colour and hairstyle to work with her. What's people thoughts? Does this sound like a plausible character that would work well with other people? The last thing I want to do is make a character other people will hate or find boring.

EDIT - Decided I'll likely use a Mage class, I had a google and wisdom vs intellect, wisdom can not be gained via age, intellect is more akin to learnable knowledge so, with Mage classes using intellect, It would also play into her becoming smarter IC :D
    Soara2 and Elyria like this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

A very good site for learning lore is:

loreofnorrath.wordpress.com

Good reading. I was directed to that site a year ago to assist a friend with a project and am still consumed by it.
    Soara2 and Dude like this.