Thinking about Returning

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Zure, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Zure New Member

Hello guys.. I am considering returning to the game. I am a long time player from EQ1, started EQ2 in like 2005. I played very steady for a lot of years, got married and played from time to time then finally quit once my friends stopped playing. I am recently now divorced and looking to get back into a game to occupy my time.

I played through most of Thalumbra, bought Kunark Ascending but didn't really do much. Thinking I will buy POP since I can level to 110. I love going back to old content and like questing and grinding..

I have 2 accounts on Skyfire that I will activate, I have at least 9 toons at level 100 and I have all maxed out tradeskillers up to Thalumbra.

I guess my question are the last 2 expansions somewhat soloable? I am not much of a raider anymore but might consider jumping back into that at some point.

My main is a Dirge, are they still a valued toon?

Are mercs still used? Which ones are good these days?

What kind of gear should I go after? Good quest line or crafted, looking forward to epic 2.0, reminds me of the EQ1 days.

Is the game still fun to most of you long time players?

Any other thoughts for progression is appreciated, I know I am missing a lot of the new goodies brought into the game the last 2 years.
  2. kerry Member

3. kerry Member

I don't have much advice but as a returning player after five years I'd like to say welcome back, So far I have enjoyed playing, Forgot how much fun it is. The learning curve went well and I'm back in the swing of things after three weeks back, You will find it much easier to solo, I two box so have done well on my own, I joined a guild but have not interacted much with them as I have spend my time leveling up and doing the three factions to the max, When I say easier for me the mobs dont hit as hard and there is less red agro as you go through quests, Enjoy and again welcome back,
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

Hey and welcome back. To answer some of your questions:
    1. Yes, KA and PoP are soloable, but you will possibly need help when doing your Epic 2.0. Both expansions are similar to Thalumbra, which you said you played. Both include a lot of grinding, especially for ascension. (Ascension is a 15 x 4 level "overclass" which turns everyone into sorcerers.)
    2. As I'm a soloer on live, I can't tell you about Dirge value with regard to raiding. I can tell you that you will need your Epic 2.0, Ascension 10x4 for the charm, one Ascension 15, and likely some PG runes for a majority of the raid guilds. Luckily you said you loved to grind, as that's all it is!
    3. Mercs are used for solo play. Good ones in game are Zhurg from Siege of Zek, Evana(?) from the panda (a less ugly version of Zhurg found in KA), and Gardening Goblin through the KA tradeskill quest line. If you didn't buy the expensive version of KA, the better DPS merc is unavailable to you.
    4. You get free gear when you buy POP. Use it and do the panda quests in Sundered Frontier near the spire for more good armor.
    5. Epic 2.0 has a lot of pre-requisites, so be sure to look it all up on the wikia before you get started. The panda will offer you a one-time ascension boost to level 5, which you can use for your first ascension class and get started on your Epic 2.0 (you need to be level 5 to start, plus have pre-reqs done). GU 105 will have the new tradeskill questline for PoP that will level you from 100-110; wait for it.
    6. It's still fun for me, though I spend all my time on the Fallen Gate time-locked server and only come to live for holidays. I did not buy PoP because I was burned by lack of content for dollars with both ToT and KA for soloers (one day of adventure content for ToT, half day of tradeskill minus repeatable grind, two days of adventure content for KA, half day of tradeskill minus repeatable grind. PoP has one week of adventure content and zero tradeskill quests atm. KA also came with six months of three hour per day repeatable quest grinding a/k/a Ascension, but PoP may have changed how you earn it/made if faster. I do not know.)

The game can be enjoyable still at end game if you keep your expectations low, or go back and do the good stuff (everything before Altar of Malice expac, when it was still one big story) again.
    kerry and Alejo like this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Relax, have fun! I do suggest find a guild that fits your gaming style and you fit theirs. Friends make the game so much more fun. I used to have friends... then the check bounced :(. Remember, its your toons, so play them how you want. And have fun!
    Argosunited likes this.
  6. Zure New Member

Thanks guys!!