The Xulous continued... (EQ1)

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Mixxit, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Mixxit Active Member

Here is a breakdown for those interested in lore related to the xulous currently running in everquest 1 at the moment

Yes yes divergent timelines etc - enjoy if you are interested

Dead Hills Overview

Denrik Serbold says 'I sailed here in the vain hope that somewhere buried under these moving mountains of death and colossal cadavers would be the remains of the Forsaken City. Many of my gullible brethren have accepted the city of Tanaan in the shadow of Myrist to be that fabled place, but I am not so easily dissuaded. Unfortunately, my excursions were quickly cut short by the inhospitable landscape and generally irate inhabitants of the hills. So I need you, adventurers uncursed by the gods as I am, to [explore] this place.'

Denrik believes the key to deciphering Zebuxoruk's madness lies in finding the Forsaken City, the legendary location where believers who have fallen from the grace of their gods gather to pay respect to the 'Ungod'

He believes the city may have once stood in these hills. Assist him in finding its ruins in the hopes that whatever clues turn up will help make sense of Zebuxoruk's commands

Lady Beddia of Myrist holds a number of tomes that detail what little history is known of the noble race that built Lxanvom, or Lxanvon depending on your translation. While it was previously believed that the xulous were completely wiped out by an ancient Bertoxxulian plague, our recent encounters suggest that a shadow of the ancient empire has lived on in undeath

Denrik Serbold says 'So the xulous yet live.' He pauses, 'This land reveals yet another secret. Seek out someone interested in studying their storied history. I am sure such a once mighty empire will house at least some remnant of the Forsaken City, should it have ever existed here.

The xulous once rivaled the Ring of Scale in power, though their power never extended beyond the bounds of southwest Antonica. It is interesting to think that Lxanvon once stood on this very ground before 'ascending' to the Plane of Disease

He nods, 'So for all their history there is nothing left of the mighty xulous but worn stone and legend? It is strange how far the mighty fall. Just like that looming tower. The pinnacle of human ingenuity reduced to rubble by time. To look upon that colossal wreck, lonely in its haunted ruins and think that the hopes and dreams of my ancestors are now dust is unsettling. Go now, look upon it for yourself.'

Denrik Serbold says 'To the west you will see the work of my ancestors, a crumbling tower of decaying wood and stone that slowly sinks ever further into the dead ground. I find it curious that they built it so close to the remains of a behemoth. Then again, it would have been an amazing sight....

It was within many mortals' lifetimes that Antonius III sent his son Kyle Bayle along with a sizable army of men to explore these lands. As the mountains shift and twist the landscape every few years, they must have set out at a time when the roads allowed passage. It's unknown why the expedition did not return to Qeynos upon seeing the bleak, uninhabitable landscape.

Our last hope is that my ancestors came upon some remnant of the lost city of the Forsaken. I believe the archaeological crew to the west is seeking adventurers to assist with their dig.'

Kyle Bayle's scouting party

In the quest where you try to recover information from the ruins of the Tower of Rot you find that Kyle Bayle and his qeynosian explorers arrived in the dead hills and attempted to construct a grand tower and were stricken by a great illness...

See what you can recover from the ruins of the Tower of Rot 0/1 (Dead Hills)

Our scouts have caught up with you, thanks to your tireless efforts in clearing a path toward the ruins. Please assist them in surveying what remains of the Qeynosian expedition party and their efforts to erect a grand tower. We would wish you luck, but your effort thus far suggests that luck is vestigial force in your success

Our study of the Qeynosian spirits suggests that there was some great madness or illness that drove them to work themselves to death in pursuit of completing the tower. Search the excavation site for any pristine artifacts. Perhaps with further investigation we can get to the bottom of what exactly this madness was

Our study of the Qeynosian spirits suggests that there was some great madness or illness that drove them to work themselves to death in pursuit of completing the tower. Search the excavation site for any pristine artifacts. Perhaps with further investigation we can get to the bottom of what exactly this madness was

Our study of the Qeynosian spirits suggests that there was some great madness or illness that drove them to work themselves to death in pursuit of completing the tower. Search the excavation site for any pristine artifacts. They may be in possession of Kyle Bayle's elite guard. Perhaps with further investigation we can get to the bottom of what exactly this madness was

Archaeologist Don Laborm surveys the ruins then looks up toward you, 'Have you found anything of interest?'

Archaeologist Don Laborm brings the artifact toward his face, holding it carefully in both hands. As he stares into it, his eyes develop a glassy haze. His head begins to twist and spasm as if he were having a seizure but his feet remain firmly planted on the ground. He throws the artifact on the ground and points toward you while wearing a malicious scowl on his face.

It seems that history aims to repeat itself. The headstrong gnome has become hostile with the same signs of madness that overtook the once valiant Qeynosian guard. Subdue the archaeologist without killing him. There is still hope he can be cured of this affliction

It is improbable that the Qeynosians did not see the first signs of this madness without trying to combat it themselves. Search the ruins for anything the ancient expedition party may have done to concoct a cure

Although the Divining Stone crumbles with age there is still hope that it holds the cure to this viral madness. See if it has any effect on Don Laborm

The Divining Stone has proven ineffective. It pains us to say, but you will need to put the Archaeologist out of his misery

Scout Leader Ryan Zatkin listens intently as you explain the fate of Archaeologist Laborm. He pauses for a moment to wipe a tear from his eye then locks eyes with you, 'I am sorry that it came to that. He was a good man, but no one will ever blame you for doing what must be done. You are free to return to camp now. I'm sure we will eventually need your help in exploring the tower itself, but that is a job for another day.'

The forces that doomed the Qeynosian expedition appear to stem from the land itself. Our theories that the party failed due to internal power struggles and treachery seem to have been disproven. Only time will tell what power rests within the heart of the tower
    Mikegonz and Kaitheel like this.
  2. Mixxit Active Member

Current situation in dead hills and beyond

You have discovered a small globe. Inside the crystal sphere you see visions of emaciated figures walking through a dimly lit library. As you stare into the projection you get the sense that they are slowly losing their sanity.

Your heart races, your vision dims, and your breath slows. You feel your consciousness slipping away from your body.

It is upon these dying lands bare,
    That traveler's folly finds just recompense.
    Where shadows whisper to deafened ears,
    'Look upon what here once stood,
    And know us now by labored deed.'
    Yet nameless lay in history they

You have entered The Void

Though you did not find concrete evidence of the Forsaken City, you may have gathered enough information to spark a moment of clarity in Zebuxoruk's mind. Speak to the Ungod at the end of time

Zebuxoruk looks upon you rather than through you for seemingly the first time. A brief moment of clarity shines in his maddened eyes, 'Look upon what here once stood, yet nameless remain in history they.' He holds his hand out, motioning toward the shattered remains of Norrath. 'Do you not hear it? The distant drum of the thwarted muse beats incessant from the Underfoot. Answer its pained cry to ford the river's current

Zebuxoruk says 'Your journey is not yet complete. The Fourth Gate is home to items that hold immeasurable power - the first, a staff that connects the living and the dead; the second, an ancient scroll whose words allow one to commune with their god. To obtain the first, you must obtain the second. You cannot do this alone. There is [one] within Third Gate who may seem an unlikely ally, but you must trust in him, and he must trust in you.'

Zebuxoruk says 'A devout member of The Dead, a loner who has spent a lifetime searching for the scroll. He will need your help, and you will need his. A partnership must be formed if you wish to navigate Neriak - Fourth Gate undetected. I can [send] you to him (Noxhil V`Sek) now, if you wish.'

Noxhil V`Sek gives you his full attention, 'What do you know of the missing scroll? It was scribed long ago by the great necromancer G'han. With it, we can commune directly with Innoruuk. Unfortunately, one portion of the scroll was taken from us by a rogue who was hired by the Koada'Dal. In Felwithe, it doth lie. The Indigo Brotherhood now attempts to [reclaim] it.'

You find out the queen has stolen the scroll and you attempt to recover it with the help of some teir'dal

Crimson Fist Aid

Noxhil V`Sek tells you, 'There's a group of mercenaries known as the Crimson Fist, made up of former members of the Indigo Brotherhood. If anyone were capable of carrying out a heist like this, it would be someone from their ranks. They're known to loiter outside the palace, looking for odd jobs.'

Xavier T`Ser says 'The Crimson Fist needs new weapons. Many of my men are still using blades from their days in the Brotherhood. Unlike our old allies, we're not in the pocket of the king. If you want my help, you'll need to bring me weapons that are worthy of the Crimson Fist

The Spurned Aid

Kavi V`Lask continues to scan the bookshelf while speaking. 'Unless you're prepared to tell me the location of Miragul's [missing works], save your words. I cannot waste any more time'.

Kavi V`Lask sighs. 'His old journals, filled with information that will help the Spurned animate the creations they have been constructing. I've searched every bookcase in this palace and come to the conclusion that the missing notes must be in the hands of the Dead

Kavi V`Lask blinks in surprise. 'You found one of the missing journals? This discovery is both wonderful and worrisome. I was beginning to think the notes were a myth, though it is now a fact that the Dead have been hoarding his research all along. I can only imagine what they keep locked away in the [Great Library].'

You say, 'Great Library?'

Kavi V`Lask says 'The Great Library is an area controlled completely by the queen. What tomes can be found within the library is a mystery to all but those who dwell there. With the existence of Miragul's notes verified, I'd risk my life to walk those halls in search for other hidden knowledge

Royal Guard Aid

Prince Tarant Thex charges into the room, his blade drawn. With one swift movement, he cuts down the new recruit before addressing you. 'No one but I commands the Royal Guard. I know what you are up to, _____, and it is a matter about which we must speak

Prince Tarant Thex says 'You're going to steal from my mother.' The commander of the Dreadguard continues before you can protest. 'And I am going to [help] you. I'm familiar with the library's layout. You will need me if you have any hope of navigating its grand halls

Prince Tarant Thex says 'I don't need to explain my motivations to you. I am agreeing to help, and you will help me in return. There is a Teir`Dal within the Halls of the Dead that I believe is in grave danger. It is likely that his guards have been compromised and can no longer protect him. I need you to sneak into his area while he is away and dispose of his guards, allowing my guards to provide competent protection

Prince Tarant Thex says, in Dark Elvish, 'My guards have taken their position within the Halls of the Dead. I feel better already, knowing that Keeper Scura T`Kur will have the protection of the Dreadguard, even if he doesn't know it. When the time is right, I will honor my word and aid you in your mission to enter the Great Library

----

Noxhil V`Sek seems surprised. 'So you managed to find people willing to join your group? I hope you chose well. The hardest part is still ahead. Breaking into the Great Library is no easy feat. We'll have to wait until the timing is right before we begin, and we should lay low until then. The last thing we need is to arouse any suspicion.'

You recruited a capable group of thieves and thugs to help you steal the Scroll of G`Han from within the Great Library.

You steal it back while the Queen fights the King
  3. Mixxit Active Member

Tainted Karana/Ethernere

(happens before the above but thought you might be interested)

Lady Lendiniara lowers her head close to yours. 'Enough of these foolish rites and ceremonies! Remove that robe at once! A keeper of the Ring of Scale is wise enough to know your mind is not addled like the ones who fall on their knees before me and pray for the end of the world.' You remove the robe of the cultists and stand before Lendiniara. The Deathmaster seethes at the sight of your natural form

Deathmaster Sarenth says 'How dare you discard your robe and show your putrid flesh to the dragon, our Lady of Salvation?! Deceivers shall rot in the grave

Lady Lendiniara says 'Stand before me, those afflicted by the reckless beliefs of this so-called Deathmaster! This has gone too far! Come, and I shall heal you.

Lady Lendiniara stamps the ground and flaps her wings, knocking Deathmaster Sarenth to the ground. She breathes upon you, and the heaviness within your chest dissipates. 'You have been cleansed, but is your mind as clear as your body? There is much for us to [discuss

Lady Lendiniara says 'Are you fearless? Do you not dread a death by claw, tooth, or breath? Thus far, the only ones who have had the will to approach a dragon are the ones whose insanity has substituted for courage.' Lendiniara clacks her claws against the stone. The chains around her head jingle as she lowers her neck and stares at you from beyond sight. 'Your spirit is free, not shackled by false beliefs. You are no [cultist] or [soldier].'

Lady Lendiniara says 'The Doomscale...small minds drowning in grief and despair, clinging to my scales, struggling to keep their heads above downward currents. Though I am the cause of their suffering, I am not their salvation. Even now the [currents] rise above my own head.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'Ignorant men planning ignorant deeds. They will make war upon me, the destroyer of the Karanas, the bane of Qeynos. Not one of them has crept to the edge of the pit and seen for himself whether I bear these titles in truth! No, men will be swept away by the [currents] of fear and the blind belief in the commands of their superiors.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'We will all soon drown in the mists that pour into these Karanas. The barrier I ruptured upon my [arrival] disintegrates. Your world is turning to gray. Everything shall be lost in [Ethernere]'

Lady Lendiniara says 'Recent events swirl in my mind like a gray thunderhead. My passage here was a flight through a great cloud of thunder, a cataclysmic cacophony. My vision still dims trying to recall all of it, but I shall endeavor to [recount] what I can.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'I came from a world much like yours. I recognize these lands as the Karanas I knew in my own time. That is the way of things: There must be a world for everything conceivable, for every possibility. And in my world there was also Kerafyrm. This sleeping dragon awoke, and he came to destroy me. I, the keeper of the Claws of Veeshan and wielder of chronomagic, was one of the first he tried to devour in his attempt to swallow the world. My chronomages readied my [retreat] to deny the Sleeper his victory.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'It is a world between worlds, the way station of the dead. Any being that dies, god or mortal, rides its currents to their eternal home. It is a vast stream, with infinite tributaries, flowing to all corners of existence. Most of the dead sail to their destinations in silent slumber, but some founder on the shores and linger. Perhaps they join the [Harrowing Horde] or wander endlessly.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'Even I know not the true nature of the Horde. Do the masses of lost dead fill their ranks? Did Ethernere itself give birth to them? I know the Horde are the keepers of Ethernere, maintainers of its purity. They see the dead to their resting places, and they cleanse the stream of anything that does not belong. The Gehein, Tirun, Skirth, and Orafik: You have seen them in the Karanas. My [arrival] has brought them here, and they continue to seek purity. As Ethenere seeps out, they will cleanse everything, and everyone.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'I flew past time itself. In a shell of magic I shot through the fabric of time and space, like an arrow loosed over a waterfall. I knew not where I headed as I plunged into the stream of Ethernere, rending a surface that is so nigh impenetrable to the living. As I coursed through its currents, I saw the throngs of the dead open their eyes and stare at my passage. I saw the Horde teeming at my tail. And I heard the [call] floating to me from a far off void.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'It was a sad voice, filled with despair and tinged with a growing madness. It called for me to meet it in the void, to bring to it the knowledge of one who has passed through the realm of the dead while yet living. He called me to tell him the secret of life and death, and he would unlock for me a trove of knowledge so vast that I could spend an eternity and not fathom half of it. This forsaken voice was the last I heard before I broke through the [other side].'

Lady Lendiniara says 'When I ripped into your world, I brought with me the disaster you now see. Time, space, and Ethernere now bleed into your world, and likely into mine. In my attempt to save one world, it appears I have doomed all of them. As I lay here in the pit, exhausted from my arrival, I saw forms rushing around me: the Horde, the spirits of the dead, and powerful [creatures] whose beings radiated malevolence.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'While I was yet weak, one of these creatures stepped from the mists and stood before me, laughing cruelly before walking out of the pit. Many more like it must have passed into your world as I lay in a weakened slumber. It has already begun. The waters are [rising].'

Lady Lendiniara says 'The Ethernere stream rushes through the gash I tore, filling up this world like a reservoir. No doubt the same will happen in my world. _____, we must repair the breach. I am no threat to you or the inhabitants of this land. I only wish to [stop] what I have set in motion, to undo the destruction my actions will bring. _____, we must heed the call.'

Lady Lendiniara says 'The portal behind you leads to the void, to the voice I heard. It may know how I can return to my own world and repair the barriers between the lands of the living and Ethernere. Hurry, before all is lost!'

Zebuxoruk says 'A thousand times, a million times, perhaps even more: How many times have I seen your face? How many times have I forgotten it and remembered it again? Time flows in its river, in its infinite vermiculated pathways. Here Norrath drowns in the silt of conflict and strife. There it rises above the waters and becomes a gleaming island. Choice and consequence appear to me as but illusions, merely one gazing at its own reflection in calmer waters. But I always see your face appear in the stream. You always answer the [call].'

Zebuxoruk says 'A request, a wish, a plea...in these chains, behind these bars at the end of the universe, I have seen more than any being, god or mortal, can ever imagine. All is a dim vortex, whirling down, concentrating inside me. I see the glimpses of people and places flowing by, seen for a moment before they are lost in the torrent. And in the rush of all possibilities I saw a [dragon] skimming over the waters between all worlds.'

Zebuxoruk says 'Where does one being end and another begin? Two spirits suspended in blood and flesh, two that you would call distinct, separate. But time shoots an arrow through both their hearts. They fall upon the earth, and their blood intermingles, becoming one in the dust. The dragon is a scaly arrow shot between two worlds. Already she has pierced the hearts. But the blood can be staunched. I knew her. I called to her. I awaited her reply, as I await all things. But [others] heeded the call.'

Zebuxoruk says 'You stand before me, do you not? You and many more like you. Ideas, faces, plans: They all mix and muddle. The wound must be repaired, the arrow returned to its bow. So many voices, so many [plans].'

Zebuxoruk says 'Singular objects, with singular purposes, with a singular existence...beacons seen in all worlds. They will light our [paths]. They will guide us to the houses of healing, where the wounds of eons may be repaired.'

Zebuxoruk says 'As a flood fills every crease and crevice, so the punctured heart bleeds into the valleys and crypts once thought lost. Follow the veins and find the [realms] unknown.'

Zebuxoruk says 'A cave of warring bixies, the hills of the dead, a forgotten gate in Neriak. I see you there. I see you reaching for the beacons, taking hold of Norrath's salvation. Travel the veins, the wide rivers that wend from the pit of the dragon. Find the beacons

Zebuxoruk has asked you to find the hidden places of Norrath and discover objects of mysterious power. You should tell Commander Galenth of all that you learned

Commander Galenth says 'Lendiniara? Zebuxoruk?! Your brain's turned to sour milk, and it's spillin' out your mouth! Is this what that cult's been shoving down your throat? Damn it, _____, I shouldn't have sent some floppy-minded adventurer to do a hardened soldier's job! Listen, we have cultists gearing up to assault our position, and we still have a dragon to kill. Quit doodling with your weapon and get ready to fight!'

You have discovered that Lendiniara is a dragon from another world that arrived in Norrath, breaching Ethernere and allowing its influence to seep into the land. Zebuxoruk has intimated that you will need to find objects of great power to close the rift, but his fragmented thoughts have not granted you much insight into his reasoning or intentions. You explained this to Commander Galenth, but he worries only about the impending cultist attack and the imagined threat from Lendiniara
  4. Mixxit Active Member

So to summarise the key to salvation is the Scroll of G'Han (I believe this is the one in our libary of the spurned in eq2) and a staff that connects the living and dead

I'm not sure where the staff figures in to all of this
  5. Innania Member

I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

Lendiniara is talking about the salvation of EQ1's thread after she caused a breach between it and the Ethernere. Of course, now that Kerafyrm has breached the Ethernere in EQ2's thread, that would probably help us too.

The larger issue comes from Kerafyrm now being in a place that links both threads, as well as many others. He has the Tear of Veeshan, an artifact that can amplify any magic exponentially. If he combines that with the Swords of Destiny, he could possibly send all of the deities from both threads into the void permanently.
  6. Mixxit Active Member

Sorry don't misunderstand me i'm talking about that particular zeb questline
  7. Mikegonz New Member

Thank you so much for posting this Mixxit!!

I've been a long time EQOA and EQ2 player, and was trying to find some of the lore continuing the Xulous, Tal'Thex, and Jal'raeth stuff from these two. I'm anxious to see how the Tower of Rot is involved along with the Shadowmen. If more lore is released there, can you please post here? The mystery of the Xulous and the birth of Bertoxxulous was always one of my favorite storylines (at least what exists).

I'd love to learn more about Anashti and Xul'varien moving forward. I hope the devs eventually elaborate on these great stories down the road. Ages End has been going on for so long.
  8. Mixxit Active Member

Templar Gemma peers up at you with weary eyes and sighs, 'It's good to finally see someone who's not injured or otherwise maimed. I could use a break.' The exhausted healer wipes blood from her hands while nodding towards the unconscious gnome to her right, 'Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth trying to save them. I mean, what kind of life could he possibly lead after what the [xulous] have done to him?'

Templar Gemma says 'I take it you haven't spent much time in the northwest? It's probably best. The xulous are the horrific offspring of Bertoxxulous and butchers, at best. They're determined to bring their behemoths back to life at any cost. Although they're often at war with the ogres to the east, they've taken to kidnapping smaller races and using them for experiments. Maybe they think because we're small we're easy targets? Truth is, we're a resourceful bunch, which is why so many of us have escaped, but not without [injury].'

Templar Gemma says 'Even if you manage to escape physically unscathed like myself, the nightmares will surely haunt you for a lifetime.' The gnomish healer pauses with noticeable regret, 'Sometimes I feel guilty for escaping. It doesn't feel right being free when so many [others] are still being tortured. I guess that's why I remain here, hoping that healing the injured will somehow nullify my guilt. It hasn't worked yet.''

Templar Gemma pauses while she tries to recall the details of her captivity, 'I wasn't in any shape to count my fellow prisoners. If I were to judge by the number of screams I heard, I'd say nearly a dozen were in need of [rescue].'

Templar Gemma blinks with disbelief, 'Would you really put your life on the line for a bunch of strangers? The xulous are not to be underestimated. They fight hard and they fight dirty. You won't be able to break their camp alone. Perhaps if you had a [raid] force or maybe a well-trained [group], you'd be able to reach the encampment where they keep the prisoners.

Templar Gemma looks up at you in awe, 'Wow. You're really going to do it, aren't you? The least I can do is [lead] you safely to the outskirts of their camp when you're ready. Once you're there though, you're on your own. I'll remain close by to heal the injured, but I'll never step foot in the xulous camp again.'
    Kaitheel likes this.
  9. Anaogi Well-Known Member

A staff that connects the living and the dead?
    Wasn't Firiona conspicuously missing her staff when she returned from Ethernere in EQ2...?
    Kaitheel likes this.
  10. TheSociety New Member

The Lifeguide staff was made by the elves to call upon Tunare in times of need. It was later stolen and corrupted by Danak and taken to Velious.