The worst part about being a Warlock is...

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Junaru, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Corsair Guest

I justcreated a mage and I am going to go the route of the warlock. I will definitely post here when I getthere!
  2. ARCHIVED-Wombatt_Nome Guest

The worst part would probably be that Wizards get evac at 38, making them about 800x more group friendly than Warlocks who already do less damage on average. Meaning is a Warlock and a Wizard are both lfg, guess who they will obviously go with. Im sure more of you will say this is not a concern, warlocks are good in different ways, the same bull[expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] i was fed when i was commenting on the Dark Distortion problems before it was addressed.

Not to mention the adept for our 37 nuke is impossible to find, and it does less damage than adept 3 of our 23 nuke. (a problem with all dps spell classes)

The reason there are less warlocks around, is that there are some obvious problems with our class. That people are trying to ignore. Which began with the problems with Dark Distortion befores it fix, and has stemmed to other spells we get later.
    Message Edited by Wombatt_Nome on 12-20-2004 02:20 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Gonzag Guest

First evac is not very usefull for now as the range of the spell is very small (2ft I think) so your groupmates need to be extremely close to you when you cast the spell. So unless they change this spell, it has nothing to do with zone wide evac scouts have.
    Then Wizards are not better dps than Warlocks.
    Third Warlocks are valuable in a group, they have a variety of spells to restore power to the group: non-combat power regens, short power boosts, spells that steal power from enemy, procs to replenish power.
    Imo, the reasons why there are so few Warlocks are the following:
    - everyone know what is a Wizard but don't know well what a Warlock is. So they prefer to choose something without surprise that they are sure they'll like.
    - many people were playing a Wizard in others games and are used the do this so they want to be Wizzy again.
    - people prefer elementals damage of fire and ice compared to poison and disease, also for graphic effects of the spells.
    - people know Wizards have the most powerfull DD (in terms of maximum damage hit) spells among the mages classes.
    - they read forums where there are rumors of Warlocks being underpowered like this thread so they choose Wizard.
    So I think there would more Wizards than Warlocks even if they had the exact same spells.

Finally, many people are very satisfied being Warlocks and say that they do better dps than Wizzy.
    So I think Warlock is a very good class and don't do less damage than Wizards.

I'd say once again: just enjoy your Warlock!
  4. ARCHIVED-Flachette1 Guest

worst part so far for me is being level 19 1/2 with my hallmark quest done and having to wait another day to be one :_(

but on another note the staff we get sure sucks I mean whats up with the +4 wisdom?
  5. ARCHIVED-Jeddak Guest

Thanks to all you chatty folk who love your class you will see a horde of people becoming warlocks. :smileyvery-happy:
  6. ARCHIVED-Nele Guest

I think it is still pretty unique to be a warlock. Which, like mentioned above, is nice. I am now a lvl 28 (87%) warlock and enjoy all the debuffs, dot's, and nukes.

I also like our hp to mana spells we get, it freaks out healers, but it keeps us in the fight so much longer then anyone else (other then tanks).

Actually just last night I had someone tell me that he should've went warlock and asked me a bunch of questions on the spells, etc. I have had no regrets (except for frog spell) of turning warlock :smileyhappy:
  7. ARCHIVED-EQIIman Guest

The worst part is I can't seem to beg, cheat, steal or jump through any hoops to get Dark Distortions Adept I!

It is just not available on Unrest, and I look like 5 times a night! :)

Maybe Santa will bring one? :)

I do have APP III Dark Dis., which isn't bad, hitting for 230-290, but I want the big 300+ hits (the Wizzie in me talking).

It seems to be very hard to get. Some of the other APP I's sell on Unrest for 4sp due to huge suplly and no demand. Dark distortion, though, is nowhere to be found!

Please Santa, I swear I have been good this year.

Baabuu - 24 Warlock Unrest.
  8. ARCHIVED-Nytshade Guest

Getting any spells... :( On neriak being such a young server NO one is selling half of what I need. Oh well. Starting the hallmark quest for I'm now level 18. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nyyt
  9. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Sorry to hear it.. I know I searched every chance I got for it.. Seen a few go for 3g to 7g but no way I had that kind of coin to spend.. One day I seen it for 50s.. My hands started to shake I was so excited.. Then I realized I didn't hit "buy" yet and it scared me.. Hehe
  10. ARCHIVED-Gnosticus Guest

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/pdfs/EQII%20Revised%20Manual%20FINAL.PDF

• Intelligence represents your character’s powers of reasoning
    and overall intellect. It can influence magic use, affecting
    magical damage.

For Mage adventure archetypes and the
    Bard profession, it also affects Power.

• Wisdom is a measure of your character’s spiritual strength and
    willpower. It can affect your character’s ability to avoid
    magical attacks and his or her accuracy wielding magical
    attacks against opponents.

For Priest adventure archetypes
    and the Crusader profession, Wisdom also affects Power.

That is for the "EverQuest II Manual" so int and wis helps both mages and priest classes for damage (int) and accuracy (wis) with ability to avoid magical attacks being wisdom. So higher wisdom does help.
  11. ARCHIVED-Nightwolf78 Guest

To be honest i prefer the wizard in my group over the warlock any day.

i have now a Healer and a Caster and if im looking for dps i choose the wizard as the evac DOES give a advantage that the warlock cant compete with.

Yes you have to stay close..but when the [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] hits the fan u just write or use a macro WIZARD evac all pull close pl get around you..you cast puff ur out and saved yourself jsut a load of dept.

Nuking...well wizzy is a bit better so for grinding it dosent matter if its a warlock or a wizard.

The merzemrize from wizards is also better than the fear warlock cause (this is a matter of opinion).

The buffs a warlock gives..uhmmm ok u can boost the pool by some % and regenration time out of combat so as sayed warlocks are good friends in grinding.

The parts where the warlock is superior is that hes a lot "cooler".

Spell efects are fine with me with a tad of tuning on the graphic settings.

Spelldrop are the pain in the [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] and Nil distortion is a REAL pain to find.

But regardless what i type or think i love to play the warlock...there are 123568843 wizards running around and just a handfull of warlocks at this time.

Im still confident theese issues will be looked in to (atleast fix NIL DISTORTION) ...
  12. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

I guess you don't read the Wizard forums too much.. 9 out of 10 Wizards would give up Mez for another nuke any day of the week cause it's near useless.. And if Evac is you big reason for thinking a Wizard is better then a Warlock I think you seem to forget that EVERY Scout gets it (and if you look at the stats for classes there are more Scouts then any other class) and it's ZONE WIDE.. The Wizard Evac is about 5 feet and I have heard many stories about the Wizard Evaccing and leaving 1/2 the group behind..

Can you explain to me how the Wizard is a "bit better" at nuking? Cause in my eyes I give the advantage to the Warlock..

And you seem to down play power regen and increasing the power pool yet every Wizard and Warlock seems to be a little conserned about the lack of there power pool compaired to other classes. Without power we might as well go sit in the corner yet other classes (AKA Scouts) still dish out good DPS.. Power is a Mages LIFE.. I give a HUGE advantage to the Warlock cause of it and is the main reason I picked one.

P.S. We have way to regen power in combat too that the Wizard doesn't have..

Sorry to all Wizards out there. I'm not trying to down play the Wizard cause I like them but people that come here uninformed and talking crap need to be re-educated from time to time..
  13. ARCHIVED-Mellow_NL Guest

I rather have it so, that people like nightwolf think the way they do and keep thinking that way.
    I know my warlock strengths and weaknesses, thats what matters at the end of the day, right?
    A buddy of mine plays a wizard and loves among other things, the big number hits and is very happy with it.
    Don't let other people determine how much you enjoy your toon, I don't :)
  14. ARCHIVED-Nightwolf78 Guest

As i sayed i like to play the warlock no problem... still i think that the advantage tips to the wizzys favour in choosing btw equally level warlock or wizard.

And yea..i bet the wizards would LOVE to trade the mez for another nuke :p

Besides i just love to read how blueyed ppl defend their characters just to assure themselfs they made no mistake in picking their class...like before the dark disortion patch ppl were happy with the warlocks damage (yea right).

Besides im just at lvl 40 so who knows where the balance tips later on...still a bit early to doom any char
  15. ARCHIVED-souLouri Guest

if you guys like being a unique class as theres very few warlocks about then i got some real bad news for you.

In a few levels time i will be picking my subclass, and 90% certain im doing warlock.
    So what? I hear you say ... well...

Originally i had a fighter. Chose warrior like everyone else, but after lots of reading up, and searching my server etc, i decided to do berserker because EVERYONE IN THE WORLD was a guardian. Ok i thought, this is great i love being unique. But by the time i had hit level 22 i saw them EVERYWHERE.
    Right i thought, must just be my imagination, im seeing them more now because i am one. Quick search on the local area later. Found: 16 Berserkers. Found: 2 Guardians.

AARRRRGGGHHH!!!
    Tested this a few nights in a row... yes... everyone loves berserker now.
    Right i thought, im going to take a quick break from this and have a new char for an escape from fighting. Priest, theres a nice popular, always wanted class.
    Join one of the NEW'er servers that have gone up. EVERYONE ON IT IS A MAGE OR PRIEST!! omg how irritating. Most groups consisted of 3 mages and 2 priests. Tanks were so hard to come by! Well i wasnt going to make a new tank on top of my other one so i decided to just delete that char and be done with it.

Over time i have built up a level 12 rogue, which yes you've guessed it while not everywhere, there seems to be SCOUTS everywhere, again making it hard for me to find a group.

And now, the bad news for you guys is that im nearly done with sorcerer and i am about to take up Warlock. So you can expect to see the Warlock numbers increase rapidly from now on. (at least on my server - Oggok).

I know this isnt just paranoia because i do occasional searches and always find more of my class online than ANYONE else. SO while at the moment i see 5:1 ratio of more wizards than warlocks (possibly higher ration than that) i think within a week of me becomming a warlock that you'll see them everywhere.

(I apologise in advance for ruining your fun).
  16. ARCHIVED-Nytshade Guest

I find that on the server I'm on (Neriak) the amount of warlocks hovers around 20 at any time. Wizards go up to about 75 and sometimes up to the cap of 100. Honestly I like the warlock for I can deal out some good damage like wizards, maybe a tad less but in the end the debuffs and stuns combined with everything else have made a difference. I found the best team combined a coercer, two tanks, 2 clerics, 2 sorcs either wizard or warlock. Works good.

With that said it's up to how you play, if you're concerned about bigger numbers then choose wizard, if you want a good nuker with group friendly options then warlock is best. Personally I think both are awesome and play what you like most, it's the people so concerned about "THE BEST" that don't realize it's just a game to have fun. So what if someone can hit a little bit harder, doesn't matter if they start running for the door when they get aggro'd. Choose for fun, not for "The Best".
  17. ARCHIVED-Talasar Guest

"Choose for fun" is all great and good, until your "fun" class can't get groups because nobody wants you. Haven't had this problem as a Warlock, and I don't expect to, but I saw it all too often in Final Fantasy XI.

Just a little Devil's Advocate reminder that the public opinion on class balance can severely limit "fun" if it gets too skewed. Being the "best" isn't everything, or even most things, but not being "the ****" does matter.