The walk toward the shadows

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-Savanja, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Savanja Guest

This would be my attempt at trying to work Savanja towards becoming a Shadow Knight. This will be the first of 2 or 3 parts I still need to write. :)

He sensed her will growing, and even with his back turned to her, he could feel her hateful gaze burn through his flesh.
    It excited him. This was, by his own definition, raw beauty. This girl, who that very morning was but a child, had grown into a women within fragile moments. And he was a witness to it.
    His hands moved over her bare bronzed skin, and beneath it, the wound knitted, then faded. He had been given instructions to allow for the pain to touch her, but he felt no desire at the moment for her to suffer.
    His hands all but kissed her delicate skin, the gift weaving through the threads of her being as he brought her body back to unmarred perfection.
    He lingered for a moment, smelling the sweat permeating the air from her dampened silver hair. He wished to touch her hair, if only to have a brief sampling of it's promised softness, but resisted the urge. Perhaps another day he would fullfill that desire, but not this one.
    Taking a step back, he fixed his eyes upon hers. "Your as good as new now child."
    Savanja's eyes blinked and she looked upon her healers' handsome smile without emotion. "I'd thank you, but I'm certain the school pays you well enough that I don't have to."
    Pulling a plain white tunic off of a nearby shelf, Savanja gives it a shake and pulls it over her nude torso as she walks to where her armor had been discarded earlier. She picks up the leather piece and inspects the cut in the fibers, sticking her fingers through the slash and rubbing away the semi dry blood that remained.
    "You'll need a good tailor for that" The healer was stating exactly what Savanja had been thinking. Normally, her armor would go to the schools' tailor to be mended, but she hadn't planned on staying in this place long enough for that.
    The problem she had now, besides the need for a good tailor, was that she had nowhere to go.
    Her father would not want to be seeing her around thier home, nor would she want to be there. It sickened her how her human mother seemed content serving as a lowly concubine to midclass Dark Elf that couldn't control his desires. It was a clear statement of human nature that allowed them to so easily be contracted as slaves amongst the more clever races. And disappointing too. She had wished for more for her mother, but it seemed the woman was beyond saving now, and not at all worth her efforts.
    "I'm sure I can find someone to mend it, but thank you for your astute observation, I'm not sure if I would have came to that conclusion if your superior mind hadn't lead me." Savanja didn't bother to look the healers way as she delivered her sarcastic comment, but startled a bit when she heard his melodious laughter.
    "As witty as she is beautiful. Save your sweet words for a man less dazzled by your pretty face dear girl, for you have already won my heart."
    She glared up at the healer. His grin made her skin tingle, and the seemingly sincere voicing of his words made her belly leap, but she knew this man simply mocked her, like all the Teir'Dal men did.
    "As if you had a heart, and if you did, it's doubtful to me that it would be worth owning. Your job is done, be gone from me so that I may gather my thoughts and prepare for my departure."
    Savanja purposely addressed him as a servant as an insult, but he seemed to take no offense as he bowed grandly before her.
    "I thank you profusely for the pleasure of being your aide Mistress Savanja. Please call upon me if you are in need of my talents, healing or otherwise."
    And with a wink, he exited the room, leaving her standing alone and feeling all of the sudden, very cold.

After gathering her belongings from the bunkhouse, Savanja set out to find some way of caring for herself. She hadn't a clue as to where she should go, and her grumbling stomach reminded her that she hadn't a copper to her name for food either.
    The school had provided everything she needed; her food, shelter, and clothing. There was never a need for her to leave the school grounds, and this was the first time she had enough freedom to roam around Freeport.
    Finally dodging the amorous attentions of a rather drunk barbarian, she came across a tavern and inn. She was thinking that perhaps they were in need of an employee of some sort in exchange for room and board. It was in the least worth a try, as dusk was setting in and she was learning that Freeport was not a place for a female to wander around, unchaperoned during the day, let alone at night.

Savanja pushed the wooden door open and was immediately accosted by the smells of cheap ale and sweaty men. A retch climbed her throat, and it took a moment for her to gain control over the reflex. Scrunching her nose and consciously breathing through her mouth, she made her way through the populated stench to the bar, and asked the bartender where she might find the innkeep of this establishment. The weary looking man, pointed towards a corner table on the other side of the great room, and told her to mind her pack if she were planning on staying in here very long.
    Savanja nodded and walked in the direction indicated, pulling her pack off her back and clutching it in front of her.
    Loud laughter and rowdy talking came from all around her as she made her way through the middle of the room. It was a relief when she finally reached the table where the Innkeeper sat studying the books before him.
    "Excuse me sir. I don't mean to interrupt your work here, but I was hoping that you might be able to assist me?"
    A human man raised his face from his books and looked her over suspiciously. "What is a young girl doing wondering around here alone? Have you any idea what these men here are capable of?" The man admonished her as if she were his own child, then seemed to actually want some sort of explaination.
    "I was in need of a place to lay my head, and assumed it was safer in here than out there." Savanja glanced towards the door, and watched as the bartender managed to throw out a ruffian that had gotten a bit too full of spirits, and a bit too loose with his fists.
    The Innkeeper fixed his eyes on something on the other side of the room for a split second, then returned them to Savanja, giving her a gentle smile.
    "Of course, though not by much I'm afraid. Rooms are a silver a night, and that includes your meals."
    Seeing the mans eyes dart back to the same place in the room, Savanja turned to see what had caught his interest, but all she could see were shadows. An odd chill creeped up her spine, followed by a moment of intense heat as she searched the darkness for something that would be of interest, but found nothing.
    "See, I can't.. What I mean is, I don't have any money. I had been hoping that maybe you could use some help around here. To clean the rooms? Or, to serve meals and drinks? I'm willing to work hard to earn it, I would never expect a hand out. But please, I haven't anywhere to go. If even for a night, I would greatly appreciate a place to sleep and a bit of bread if you could spare it."
    Savanja did her best to look needy and frail, hoping to appeal to the Innkeeps humanity, but it seemed to go completely unnoticed as his eyes gazed into the shadows again.
    "I can use the help, to be sure. I'll give you a room and your meals in exchange for your labor. And real labor too! I don't give charity around here!"
    The Innkeep practically shouted the last bit, then grimaced as he stood and limped over to a door off the back of the room.
    Savanja followed him inside and found a large desk and a column of cubed slots holding various items, papers, and keys within the slots. The Innkeep pulled a paper out of one slot, read it then slid it back, exchanging it for a key. Handing the heavy key to Savanja, he took her wrist and pulled her to him. The change in the expression on his face put a solid fear into her. He sneered at her as he brought her face close to his, and whispered in a raspy voice, "I do my part to serve when demanded to, but I won't be having the likes of you disturbing my place here. Stay out of my way, and don't cause me any troubles!" Then just as suddenly, the man released her from his grip and grasped at his chest as if in great pain, and gasped, "My appologies, my appologies!!"
    Savanja stepped back from the man, clearly confused as to what she was seeing. It was if the man were posessed! For a moment she wasn't sure if he was going to drop dead before her, but again, just as quickly, he seemed to gain composure. "Very sorry child, I don't know what came over me. Take to your room, upstairs, the last door to the right. I'll send a wentch up with some dinner for you shortly."
    Not wanting to see anymore of this mans insanity, Savanja quickly thanked him and darted up the stairs, nearly knocking over the serving girl outside the office door. She closed the door of her room, and locked the latch. Finally feeling remotely safe. She sat on the meager bed, and worked to still her ragged nerves.
    Below her, in the Innkeeps office, the shadow bled into the room. The Innkeep bowed his head as the shadow took the shape of a dark elf male.
    A silky culture voice, one that Savanja would recognize as her healer from earlier that day, spoke calmly to the Innkeep, "I had asked you to be civil to her, did I not?"
    Stammering in fear, the human groped for an acceptable reply, but unable to find one, his face pleaded silently.
    "Ah well, I think that maybe you had forgotten that I can hear you even when you cannot see my ears, and I can see you even when you cannot see my eyes. It would do you well to not forget again servant. Next time you treat her like that, I will cause your heart to slowly burst, then I shall laugh when your blood bubbles up from your petulant mouth. She is important to me. I trust you with her safety." Eyes glowing, and voice deepening to a evil rumble the healer leans in towards the Innkeeps face, "Do not fail me." A glimpse of pain consumed the human once again, as the mysterious Teir'Dal cleric laughed and left the small office, leaving the Innkeep gasping for air.