the unfinished pick

Discussion in 'Quests and Live Events' started by ARCHIVED-Ardrek, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Ardrek Guest

got this quest sometime in the thundering stepps and I don't get it.
    it says it's a level 20 "SOLO" quest where you kill giants, there are extreamly few giants that are not elite giants, apx 4-6 on each side of the giant zone. I didn't get the quest until 23 but I killed giants until 28 where I was just sick of it.
    I barely finished the quest to get totems ( the giants drop these and you learn to speak thier language ), which I wanted so I could get the quest from the giant for instance there. None of friends that helped me were able to learn the giant's language but me, I the giants just didn't drop for .... !
    you can imagine my horror when I looked up what this stupid quests reward was, a level 17 weapon... I wasted hours killing giants and never finished the quest and it would have been a worthless reward.
    1. why is this considered a level 20 quest, is there some hidden place full of level 17 giants I could have killed?
    2. why is the drop rate so low for any quest item, it's no wonder nobody else was there, they must have got the memo that the giants don't drop anything.
  2. ARCHIVED-yettii Guest

Ardrek wrote:
    Sounds like you ran into one of the old original item quests. For doing so, you have my condolences.
    Item quests such as these from the original game long before expansions came about were built more with EQ1 difficulty in mind, and demanded way too much effort for what was to be had. These weren't unlike the original Book quests, where you had to go kill 30 of a very specific mob type to get updates....and there might only be a couple or a few of these mobs at a time. And you had to do this 3 times with different types of mobs. 90 kills to finish a book quest. Many times, the mob these book quests demanded might be bugged, killed by someone else for quests, or simply not spawning, and these quests would and could go unfinished for years unless deleted or addressed somehow.
    But I'm getting off topic. This quest was back from a time when the game was much harder. This quest probably didn't update much back then either. Sounds like it was one of those quests with a low percentage chance to update, completely randomly. You're right though, a lv17 reward is just poor form. At the very least, the reward should match the quest level.
  3. ARCHIVED-Ardrek Guest

thank you so much for responding... I was also trying to finish some of the stupid book quests!