The Stranger

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-whowho, Oct 8, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-whowho Guest

I am a monk from the Silent Fist Clan. They taught me the art of combat and also how to view the world which we all live in. I don’t believe in raising my staff to solve any problem.
    I once remember, my master look in my eyes and said, “ You have a kind heart, don’t let your temper get the better of you.”
    This was a long time ago, when I still had patience and sympathy for other. The road that I was force to walk changed me in way I did not realize at first. It was a long and dark road. I might have taken a few wrong turns but none that I regret yet. I still walk on that road in hope I will find my true self, and the life that I wanted, whichever that may be.
    Tonight, I am walking on a long road by a large farm which extended for miles. It was late at night and the sky was dark and cloudy. It is starting to get a bit windy and cold. Not a night that I would like to travel in. I try to keep my mind busy by thinking about how the way today went. The road along the farm was mostly sandy and fill with little rocks. My mind and body will not sleep, I am not tire enough. I didn’t know where I was going. I just felt like I wanted to walk this direction.
    I sense something in the air and my awareness and instinct awaken. My eye widen when I saw a dark figure standing aside the road far ahead of me. I did not slow my pace. I carefully wrap my hand around my stab in case he is a danger. I kept walking while wondering who is he and what is he doing here.
    I am now only 10 yards away from him when I felt sick. I feel like I need to throw up. My heart beat start pounding as if I was about to fight. I don’t believe it, I thought, is this fright I feel. There was a quick thought about turning around and running the opposite direction. I didn’t agree to the feeling, I will only be mad at myself and regret it later on. Regret is something I don’t need to carry with me. A humorous grin pop up when I thought to myself, what’s the worst he can do, beat me up or kill me.
    I inhaled a large volume of air through my nostrils and constantly check my pace so it won’t be too fast or too slow. I do not want to appear strange to this person for it is only fear he will notice.
    I am 10 feet from him and now see that his back was facing me the whole time. The air start to get really heavy and I felt my first break of sweat. I notice my breathing increase to my dismay. Before, I was planning to just walk by him but now I want to know who he is.
    Five feet away from him and my right hand still gripping onto my stab while I stood there and watch him. He did not bother to move. I see clearer now that he is wearing a robe. There was no weapon in sight. I wonder if he is a warlock.
    I said, ”hello,” and waited for a reply. He did not move or talk. I look around me trying to find another person who may be hiding from view. It was too dark to see anything but what is close to this road. I will see a shade of black if someone step onto this sandy road. I start to get this weird feeling like there was someone watching me from behind and is closing onto me. I spin my body around quickly, readily to swing my staff but no one was there. I than in horror turn to the robe stranger and he still didn’t move.
    I thought about what I ate earlier, just some carrot noodle and apple juice. I know the owner of the store so I doubt he would put something into my food. I should just be on my way but I am not going to turn my back on this stranger. I don’t trust him at all.
    I told you him, “I am just a traveler and I don’t want any trouble.”
    Realizing what I just said, I feel a little stupid. It sound like a remark from a coward.
    My leg start to sore from all the walking, I feel tire of playing this game. The thought of just grabbing him and turning him around to see his face was very tempting.
    I thought to myself, “Is he playing game with me, do he know who I am. Does he not have anything better to do than standing on the side of the road creeping people out?”
    I feel a strong rage making it way up my body. I just want to grip both hand on my staff back of me, jump and whip it on his head. Maybe it will knock him out cold if not kill him. I attempted to talk to him but he stay quiet like I was a pet or an animal with no important. I am not the greatest fighter in this world but I do ask for some respect. Clearly he is not going to give me any. I was angry, I was nervous and I wanted some attention. My palm got sweaty by the confusion and questions constantly rotating in my mind with the ideas none of my questions will ever be answer.
    My temper broke and I yell, “who the hell are..“ shooting my arm as it seem toward his shoulder as planned, to flip him around like a rotating table. My hand felt his robe as I touch him. It was thick and had a rough feeling. Right at that moment I felt an strange terror and my last word never came out. Through my hand I felt an energy far greater than mine. At that point I was unable to make a sound or move. I fell into a trance not knowing what is happening around me. I feel like I couldn’t do anything and was trying hard on the inside to regain control of my muscle. I broke out of the trance when I heard him laugh. I quickly threw my shoulder back so my hand will come off from him. It felt like my hand was starting to become one with him. He laugh and laugh to my horror and confusion.
    A strong odor came from him. I back up several yards to get away from the foul smell. It is like he was carrying a dead animal on him. My hand felt hot and very irritating. I look at it and feel it with my other. A sharp pain came as I was feeling it. I can’t see that well but my hand felt like it was burn.
    My stab is out now being held firmly with my good hand. I search around again to see if anything was close by. His unforgettable laugher finally end and all is silence again. The crickets continue their song at this very late hour. I stood there watching him, making sure he isn’t moving. I know now I can not win. I start to think he is an evil force who came to take away my soul. Maybe under that robe he is an evil creature who hunger for a man flesh.
    I back up slowly, desperately planning my escape. I do not want to see his face no more. I don’t care who he is and what he is doing here anymore. I got a feeling like I will not escape him. That no one will come and help me this far away from town.
    I can’t stop imagining what he would do to me if he turn around. I sense great evil in him with tremendous power. This night may be my last. I am not afraid of dying but death cause by the unknown, how can I rest in peace.
    Every footstep that land behind me I feel his evil energy growing. I now regret I ever took this road. Why this have to happen to me. Many thoughts ran across my mind. There is so much for me to accomplish. I am still so young. Why is he not moving, I think angrily trying to figure him out. I than come to a thought, am I like a fish in a bowl. I am capable of moving but never will have the power to escape. I drop all my bags and armors, almost even my pants to reduce weight. I did this while never stop moving backward and just waiting till its time to run.