The Great Cloak Caper!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

[IMG]
    In a dark, stench-filled alley in the bowels of the city, a shady deal is going down. Ratscallion Attamilgad, the Unscrupulous is making a trade to obtain some stolen cloaks in the name of their boss, known as Shady Swashbuckler XVIII. Shady gave explicit instructions to Ratscallion along with a loaded leather pouch of coins and sent them on their way.

However, on the way to the deal, Ratscallion got stuck moving stealthily through some thick brush and unknowingly tore a hole in the coin pouch. By the time they got to the spot of the deal, they had no coin left in their pouch. The thief with the cloaks was nervous and anxious to rid themselves of the stolen cloaks, so they agreed to a trade for Ratscallion’s filigreed compass which had been passed down for generations.

On the way back to their boss, Ratscallion has gotten horribly lost due to no longer having their compass (and quite frankly not being very bright otherwise) and are unable to find their way home. Now starving, broke, lost, and weighed down with stolen cloaks, which are now making them a bit angsty, they want to unload the haul to anyone who is willing to take them.

Find Ratscallion, the Unscrupulous when intel is posted by us on a social channel as they amble about Norrath to get a cloak from them, but be quick, they will go into hiding in 48 hours. Keep an eye on our Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts to ensure you do not miss the announcement of his reemergence for the next cloak!

NOTE: Kael Drakkel, Varsoon, and Zarrakon servers will need to earn the cloaks on the live servers and then purchase them on these servers.

NOTE: Information will drop on one of our socials at a time on an undisclosed date and time. Prepare yourselves!

Be sure to follow us on all our social media channels so you don't miss out! Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
    Crazylayde, Koren, Jaxyn and 2 others like this.
  2. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

o great this sound like fun, only problem is I am on none of those social medias anymore, at least not since Landmark went down. :(
    Sunlei, Ladyhawke, GrunEQ and 3 others like this.
  3. LotBoy New Member

Jumping Jehoshaphat
    Siren and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. DENSER Well-Known Member

NOTE: Kael Drakkel, Varsoon, and Zarrakon servers will need to earn the cloaks on the live servers and then purchase them on these servers.

pity not again (⁠*⁠_⁠*⁠)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Have you noticed the Tweets that gets posted on the side of the main forums page when you come here? More often than not, there's not a single thing that the EQ2 team tweets that *doesn't* show up there. Just keep paying attention to the forums here and you'll probably see something.

Also, you just know that the whole general chat is going to be talking about finding this guy, just like when Kenny spawns in Nektulos Forest.
    Breanna, Anguisette, Siren and 4 others like this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I play 99.99 % on TLE servers so that will not work, it's just one more thing that will not happen besides I will have to find out about how to use the forum to find out about tweets.
    O well can't blame them trying to pull us back into the regular servers.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

They're posted on the right side of the webpage on your computer. I would post a screenshot if I could.
  8. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Hmm, if I pop over to Twitter while playing EQII, I may become enmeshed there and forget I have the game up.

Plus, I'm not a fan of placing it on Twitter, tbh. I try to keep my gaming and my social media separate, as I tend to be pretty vocal on Twitter. :cool:
  9. Chai New Member

It is a game! The game is not played on social media. So why the heck are you using social media to promote a quest? Use the guide forums? Use the regular forums! It also gives people a chance to schedule time in their day, for this game. Especially if we do not play all day long. Better yet, drop the things on the marketplace so, if we want one we can go get it. I am not happy with this new turn of events on how to promote quests.
  10. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

This is a fun and innovative way for us to get some great new free cloaks out to people while adding a bit of hide and seek and a touch of lore type fun into the game. We will not drop them on the marketplace as that is not what this event is about. If you want a cloak you can go get it. To do so, however, you will need to earn it by finding the NPC after the info drop happens on social media. That is how this community event was planned and how it will work.
    Adrastus, Crazylayde, Koren and 6 others like this.
  11. Feara Well-Known Member

Think about the players who can’t play all day, don’t do social media and are not on the forums.
    I guess what they don’t know can’t hurt them.
    It sounds like a lot of fun. No player should miss it. Maybe they will eventually add it.
    I think a lot of players would enjoy a break from the grind. Maybe send a hint through the mail. Who knows.
    Ladyhawke, GrunEQ, Koren and 3 others like this.
  12. Lacutis New Member

I don't use any of those platforms so I agree! Totally stupid to announce stuff through those avenues!!! DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GrunEQ, Buggabug, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  13. Anguisette Member

You all are acting like the second the post is made on any social platform that it will not be shared through game chat, forums, dm and everywhere else it can be shared. I'll bet it will even be shared of text messaging and in Reddit for crying out loud. It's not like you will actually have to follow them or even be on social media yourself.

I have never in my life seen so many people in a tizzy over a company wanting to give them a free item. It's like having to fill out a survey or your mailing information for a sample, a bit of inconvenience for something which is not costing you anything but a bit of time.

Also, here is something maybe some didn't think of - you are not required to participate, just like the Pride mounts. Free stuff is free stuff, it doesn't mean you must have it. Don't want to follow social media? Then don't. If you want the cloak, then be prepared to follow the rules of the people giving it away to get it.

I think some people nowadays just complain to complain instead of using forethought or critical thinking to think through all the possible outcomes of a situation before they type something out for everyone to see.
    Naramsin, Koren, Twyla and 2 others like this.
  14. Feara Well-Known Member

I just gotta ask, is this a hint (clue)?

/chuckles
    just joking
    Naramsin and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  15. Tkia Well-Known Member

I'd say that's the thing that DBG are frequently guilty of. People here are mostly complaining about the same old thing - the fact that DBG seem to be incapable of producing events that are inclusive of all players,
    GrunEQ and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. Anguisette Member

This is inclusive of all players. They themselves make it non-inclusive. Everyone has the ability to participate if they choose to, no one is being left out.
    Koren likes this.
  17. Taled Well-Known Member

How is 'look at our social media' not inclusive of all players?

You don't even need an account to open those pages.

Sure, TLE will have to log on to live servers, but that's almost certainly so that they can utilize any zone, rather than having to limit the scope to specifically zones that are available on every TLE server. It's not like it's particularly difficult to log on to a random live server, ask for a COV, and go hail a rat.
    Koren and Anguisette like this.
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

If any of you ever played on Antonica Bayl, we had events like this all the time and people really liked it.
    It was other gamers who organized the events with the support of SoS or now DB management.
    You could get cool prizes and just have fun.

I even remember an event put up on Nagafen where one guild hosted a hunt for one of their members ( they could not help or take part) but everybody else could hunt down the runner and loot the goodies and money he had .
    Another time we went to an invitation to a party in a special instance in SS where both factions could have fun together without PvP.
    We could go fishing in the pool I got like 10 cups lol or eat food to make you immensely huge. and we had amo to throw at each other.

We even had player created events like this on Kaladin, hosted by the event team of one of the guilds.
    This time it's an event created by the devs, I think it's great.

I was complaining first, but thought of it better, I been told you will have 48 hours to get your cloak, once it's announced it's out there on your server, it will be harder for people on TLE servers but it's not impossible.
  19. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Inaccurate! I can see the posts on Twitter and FB, but I also have accounts. I am very active on Twitter and only use FB for family stuff these days (I still follow EQII there, so can see the posts).

If I attempt to look at EQII's content on Instagram, it shows an overview only. In order to see any posts I have to login or signup for an account.
  20. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Overall though, good luck with the cloak. I'm guessing the tips will drop during primetime hours.

While I understand the marketing approach behind this, I truly believe it is counterproductive. You're sending players outside of the game environment to follow social media accounts.

ie. I was logged in on AB earlier, hopped over to look at Twitter and ended up forgetting that I was logged into the game. At least I wasn't on a toon that had good temp adorns running :cool: