The Cathedral of Our Lady

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jazabelle, May 19, 2015.

1. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Back in 2012, I built a Cathedral for Dolthaic in five days. On and off over the past three years, I've debated building one for myself.

April 22nd, I finally buckled down and started building.

Today, I finished.

[IMG]

Welcome to The Cathedral of Our Lady. We hope you have an eternally enjoyable stay.

Server: Antonia Bayle
    Homeowner: Jazabelle
    Decorator: Jazabelle
    City: Freeport
    Address: Secluded Sanctum
    Leaderboard: Massive Homes
    Name: The Cathedral of Our Lady

This really is a zone that you need to visit to get the true feeling of. It's rather massive, and if you have your sound effects on, the Secluded Sanctum's ambient noises and music are perfect!

If you want to see some more preview shots, and read a rambling post about building the cathedral, click here.

And if you just want to skip to a Facebook album of various work in progress shots, click here.

Thanks, and enjoy!
  2. Niboota Well-Known Member

3. Vasciagio Well-Known Member

I definitely wanna see this! /em ponders which FTP account is my AB account. Gonna sign in and visit. Nibbota, I hope I don't photo bomb you while you are videoing. If I do I'm sorry.
  4. Niboota Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the first time! ;)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  5. Merriel Well-Known Member

All I gotta say is just seeing the screenshot in the first post leaves me dumbfounded. I will visit this in person, though it may have to wait a day or so. :)
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Er, given the location (Freeport), which "lady" are you referring to...? :-/

Uwk
    who thinks it doesn't look all that creepy, yet why do "I have a feeling bad about this" (--Obi-wan Kenobi, William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace, Act I, Scene 1)?

EDIT: oh! Just spotted the vines, greenery, etc. Must be Tunare! Yeah, that's it...right? :-/
  7. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

It's definitely not Tunare, unless Tunare suddenly has a thing for skulls. (Click the first image and look carefully... *grin*)

Here's an icon of the Lady in question.

(No, I'm not this conceited, I promise! The cathedral is part of a storyline for roleplay that we've been building for the past four years. It started as a bit part in the RP, just something mentioned in passing, and grew from there.)

[IMG]
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

you forgot the sparkles.....
  9. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Sure Sure .. you just put yourself at the central focal point of this massive cathedral :)

Looks great .. now that I see the end result it does look a lot like the old one. I still like the white brick and think you could have made it work.

also after watching a bit of the replacement videos .. omg .. I forgot how slow that process is :(
  10. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Hey. I said I wasn't that conceited. I said absolutely nothing about how conceited Jazabelle might be ;)

Yep, this is basically Take 2 of Dolthaic's cathedral. There are differences, such as size (in this one, I had the space to make it as large as I wanted it to be), shape (only in the ceiling aisles, though, and the fact that the vestibule connects directly to the nave rather than through a teleporter, which was required in Dolthaic's, since the vestibule is in the Neriak house, and the rest of the cathedral is in a breakout), materials, and other design considerations, but as both cathedrals were built using the Amiens cathedral floor plan as a guideline, the overall look is very, very similar.

And I'm pretty sure I couldn't make the white brick work.

The white brick cathedral in a normal zone:

[IMG]

The white brick cathedral in the Secluded Sanctum:

[IMG]

And the screenshot doesn't do the eyeblindingness justice. This is with the ambient light in the Secluded Sanctum, no extra light sources at all. And I turned down all my lighting levels just to get it this "dim."

And here's Dolthaic's cathedral, just for a comparison.

[IMG]

Yeah, it's kind of slow, but I was also replacing hundreds of items at once. It's not too bad if you're replacing smaller numbers.

Usually, if I'm decorating and not recording, I tab over to EQ2Furniture.com and browse other ideas while I'm waiting.
  11. Merriel Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the use of the Fancy Fulginate makes it look more cathedral like than the white. That was one of the things that really caught my eye in that screenshot in the first post. I really like it, A LOT. This coming from someone who has visited many many cathedrals while my Dad was stationed overseas. I absolutely loved the architecture over there, and this cathedral is reminiscent of my teen years when we lived in Europe. Our time spent there was quite memorable for me, as an art and architecture lover. It was a dream come true, and while I may have missed out on a lot of things that went on in the US during that time period, yet I would not trade those years for the world. :)
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I don't blame you! Europe can be exceedingly cool; I went there, very briefly, on a college-student-package-tour-deal thing: 14 countries in 31 days ("If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium! Don't blink, or you'll miss Lichtenstein!"), with three of those countries being Monaco, Lichtenstein (the stamp collecting and tax dodge capital of Europe!), and Vatican City, and it was long enough ago that Yugoslavia still existed (it was an amazing country at the time, and one of the ones I wanted to visit if I ever went back. I was really proud of them for getting their act together!...then very, very disappointed... :(). Talk about art and architecture...St. Peter's was surprisingly--to scale. You really have no idea from just seeing it on TV, or even inside it, just how huge it is...until you get a glimpse of a human, about 5'->6' tall, on a balcony, in relation to the tiny line of trim going around about 1/3 of the way up inside. Then it's like, O. M. G. (pardon the expression). ;->

I also really loved Spain and the one city we got to there, Barcelona; the Moorish influence was amazing, even though when I asked about it, the local guide quickly clammed up and changed the subject. ;->

Uwk
    Merriel likes this.
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

You think Barcelona was cool...I think you would have absolutely loved Granada, and the main tourist attraction there, the Alhambra. That place was absolutely amazing. You can Google Images for the Alhambra to get some idea of what I am talking about, although, quite obviously, the images don't do the place real justice.

That's awesome about being able to do so many countries in only 31 days, though of course, a speed tour like that, I'm sure you missed out on a lot as well. My Dad was stationed in Spain, and he said he was glad that we weren't stationed in Germany or we would not have been able to travel as much as we did while we were there, because the cost of living in Germany was much higher. You have to understand that there were 8 of us as my parents had six children (a seventh when I was 18 but we were back in the US by then).

Every summer we traveled to two or three different countries. One of the most memorable was our stay in Austria, in one of the Zimmerhaus's there. We traveled through Andorra and Monaco, though we didn't stop in either place. I was disappointed when we just traveled through Switzerland on our way to Germany to visit my grandfather's friend before heading to Austria, but we never really spent any time in Switzerland. It was great though, that we got to visit the Spanish Riding School and the Lipizzaner stables. We also visited Mad King Ludwig's fairy tale castle, hehe. We tried to visit Czechoslovakia but our car would not make it up the extremely steep mountain, so we had to turn around and head back the other way. That was disappointing.

Another vacation we took was to Pisa and Rome in Italy. I loved the old Roman aqueduct's that were scattered around the countryside, and it was awe-inspiring to visit the Coliseum.We also saw the Vatican, which was absolutely amazing, and we even went down into the catacombs. I will also never forget the museum's we visited in Europe...namely, the Prado in Spain and the Louvre in Paris. I was just a teen at the time, and hated the filth in Paris (it didn't help that the public restrooms were co-ed, and the toilet consisted of a ceramic impression in the ground with a hole in the middle, of which you had to crouch over in order to use it, and there was a drunk man sleeping in the street in his own vomit), so I was not impressed with the city much, lol, but again, the architecture was amazing and I was happy to have seen the Arch D'Triumph and St Peter's Basilica. :)

I was very sad when our trip to Greece was canceled and when my parents decided to go to the UK on their own, not taking my siblings and I with them. I really felt I missed out on so much by not seeing either of those places.
  14. Sharann Well-Known Member

As usual, amazing work. Everything is perfect and I love the colors you used. This is a masterpiece.
    The organ is totally awesome and I love the choir.