The Basics

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Amana, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

[p]Well since we got a combined forum for Expansion Packs and Adventure packs maybe a set of rules should be made up. These rules determine what exactly an "Adventure Pack" is and an "Expansion Pack" is by us the players instead of SoE. [/p][p]Here's my thoughts:[/p][p]Adventure Pack:[/p][p]A prime example of this imho would be Splitpaw and The Fallen Dynasty. Adventure packs give new content in a smaller form than an Expansion pack yet it gives more content than a GU/LU. [/p][ol][li]Several Zones are added in linking together a common element or theme. These zones combined would be about the size of a regular zone or regular zone and 1/2 (Example Thundering Steppes or The Feerrott). [/li][li]New items are added in with the theme of the adventure pack perpetuating *sp* throughout them. The Fallen Dynasty 2h sword is pretty sweet looking and has that "Monk" feel to it. [/li][li]Quests or Quest is linked together in a common element leading to a climax. Again Fallen Dynasty starts with simplistic quests helping the monks out. You eventually graduate to the tower doing more complicated quests. Haven't gotten passed Nizara at the moment. [/li][li](Option): There is a great ending reward for those to discover the secrets first "aka mythical items". This part i'm a bit hazy on but I do find it fair if the items don't give a "HUGE" advantage for the player that owns it. It's fair imho because everyone is given an equal opportunity to go through the adventure pack and the ending mob isn't exactly a 1 hit kill. [/li][/ol][p]Expansion Pack:[/p][p]Deffinately have to say Kingdom of Sky deffines this area with EoF a not to distant 2nd. KoS did it well become you can climb practically anywhere, go anywhere and do almost anything. Gotten stuck a few times having to evac on some of my little exploration outtings. [IMG][/p][ol][li]The same would apply as adventure packs, however it is stopped in certain areas that give way to a new theme. A good example of this is in Greater Faydark on the road to the Loping Plains. Skeletons mark an ominous path towards this hideous and darkened section of Faydwere. [/li][li]Again same as the adventure packs but done in a grander scale. You see mine themed items in Kaladim with clockwork centric items in Klak'Anon. Heritage quests further this by bringing back old school items with a new twist. [/li][li]Expansion packs give many more quests than an adventure pack with rewards ranging from lame to great. New centered quests should be added in to each expansion pack adding to the overall theme. EoF is a good example of this because we have the "Return of the Gods" with Deity quests added in. Some quests are simple enough to do on your own while others are very difficult. Rallos Zek is a very hard one if your not the right level since you have to kill 25 vampires in Castle Mistmoore. [/li][li]One thing that should be said for all expansions is that they should have an overall quest theme in them. For EQ2 it was the prismatic weapons, DoF expansion the Godking weapons/items, KoS the Claymore quest. EoF doesn't have one yet, but rumor says shortly it will receive one. [/li][/ol][p]Those are just my oppinions as to what an Adventure Pack constitutes and what defines an Expansion Pack. ;-)[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Illmarr Guest

A less esoteric way to look at it is an Adventure Pack is something you get free as a Station pass subscriber that delves into a specific area, an Expansion pack has so far had a retail box (when you can find it) and everyone pays for it that covers a large area.
  3. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Well I would want to go beyond that and give a kind of deffinition to it. DoF imho felt like a ramped up adventure pack instead of an expansion pack.
  4. ARCHIVED-Illmarr Guest

I would not truly disagree, but if you are trying to give a basics, which to me is definitions, then our subjective assessment of DoF really is not relevant. We may have thought it a glorified expansion pack, but in reality it was an expansion. SoE called it one, and we paid expansion money for it. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... :)
  5. ARCHIVED-TheresaN Guest

[p]I have the KoS and DoF expansions you guys talked about but haven't seen the Duck? Where can I get this expansion pack?[/p][p]:p [/p]
  6. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Actually TheresaN I kid you not there is a quest in EoF in Gnomeland Security. The ending reward is a pet duck that follows you around. :wink:
  7. ARCHIVED-Illmarr Guest

Haha Amana beat me to it. /quack