Teleport to Friends

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wilowsong, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Wilowsong Active Member

I think we should be able to teleport to friends, this would make it easier to fight monsters together. I would like to be able to play with my friends without grouping and finding them on the map. I believe this feature would improve the game.
  2. Castegyre Well-Known Member

There are spells, vets items, racial abilities, and gadgets of various sorts that can help with this.

When they work.

If you put in the work, got lucky, or made the right choices in game.

If they work.
  3. Wilowsong Active Member

Where can I find these spells/items?

EDIT: I still think we need this feature so everyone can teleport to friends.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

\aITEM -271594394 197875250 0 0 0:[Call of the Tinkerer]\/a
  5. Zorash Member

I agree. A feature that doesn't carry a 12 or 24 hour cooldown would be best. It would be a start to making the game more player friendly.
    Symona likes this.
  6. Tekka Well-Known Member

While it would be nice, I'm not sure their faction system would allow for it, since that is one of the primary culprits that causes Call of the Veteran to fail as often as it does.

That being said, very few places in the game (outside of dungeons) are further than a minute or two of mounted travel from the nearest bell.

Tinkers also get a whole slew of wormhole generators which will take you to most of the major continents in the game.
    Rosyposy and Mermut like this.
  7. Wilowsong Active Member

Factions won't allow teleporting to friends?
  8. Tekka Well-Known Member

Some years ago, you couldn't use Call of the Veteran to teleport into cities of the opposing factions. That was changed, but it still (regularly) flakes out for an assortment of reasons - opposing factions being one of the main factors.
  9. Wilowsong Active Member

I think we should be able to play with our friends regardless of the faction.
  10. Tekka Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that the system is limited, and you have to work with what you've got while you wait to see if it can be changed, let alone will be.

Edit: it's one of the major flaws in games that have coded opposing player factions, that aren't pvp oriented. A lot of older games have compensated for this by making late game 'neutral', and many newer games have eliminated hard coded opposing player factions altogether (ffxiv, eso, gw2 - to name a few)
  11. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Well, mostly you can group with your friends. The way factions were done in EQ2 is extremely simplistic compared to EQ, but it never really had much meaning to the game as a whole. Over time they've reduced factions to be basically meaningless overall. That doesn't stop bugs from cropping up from time to time,.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

You can.. go to a bell from whatever zone you're in. Go to the zone your friends are in.. meet them in the zone. Yes, it does take a little bit of time, but there is nothing, at all, preventing players from different cities playing together.

If you're on the TLE server, things are different.. but that's a choice players make when they choose to play there.
  13. Fistpower Well-Known Member

They ought to give me bis gear so I dont even have to play the game. Ill pay $100 per char. Thanks DBG.
  14. Wilowsong Active Member

I think it would be easier to teleport to friends. Sometimes it is hard to go to their location.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Call of the Veteran (6-year veteran reward, /claim) and the Call of the Tinker (made by tinkers) both will port you to friends. CoV works across zones, for Call of the Tinker, you must be in the same zone.
    Breanna and Symona like this.
  16. Wilowsong Active Member

Dang! I have to wait until my account is 6 years old...
  17. Wilowsong Active Member

Does anyone think this should be added to the game?
  18. Sogapa Active Member

If you are not on TLE, it takes no time at all to get to your friends wherever they may be...and you can /invite charname without being in the same zone. I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to be in the same group if you are playing with friends. To me, it seems like a waste of development time to add something like this, considering that development time is better spent on things that actually affect game play. Travel is already fast and easy, even for new players on the traditional servers.
  19. Wilowsong Active Member

Even if you group, you still have to go to their location. This can be hard if they are on the other side of the map.
  20. Finora Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be a bad feature for them to add, but it's honestly not THAT hard to get to people as it is.

While it isn't the same as porting directly to the people who wan to group with, if you are a subscriber, you can use fast travel for free. That gets you in to any overland zone instantly. Some have several port in locations to choose from (wizard spire, druid ring, bells).

I think most servers also have 'portal houses' on the leader boards too that people have been kind enough to make. I know that at least one on Halls of Fate even has the "bell" trophy thing, which works just like a world bell. And there are numerous other items that will port you to different zones.

After getting to the main zone, getting to dungeons isn't too difficult. I honestly don't know how it works in the newer zones, since I've ceased grouping, but in older zones when one person zoned into an instanced dungeon, it zoned the whole group as long as they were in the main zone. I didn't even know where some of the dungeons in TSO were until late in the expansion because of this feature. I'd pop in at the bell or druid ring and whoever had made it to the zone would zone us all in.